OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by jacquesmm »

It's 15 knots, that's 17 mph but OK, 20 will probably be the cruising speed.
At that speed, he will use less than 30 HP in most seas.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I have a 27 gallon tank in mine, which I have never come close to empty on. Boat looks fantastic.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have no idea how fast this will go Fuzz, perhaps I should get you to come over when its done and hold my beer while I try :D .

Jacques: I did have a guess at the fuel data as I've never had a flat bottom boat before. I used 33% for the reserve and googled the GPH at cruise. Thanks very much for running through the figures. I'm enjoying building your design a lot and have learned a bunch since starting.

Cape Man: Thanks, I did check out your Clara build thread before looking at tanks. I spend quite a lot of time using your build as a reference. Its kind of like forum stalking I'm on there so much :D .

The tank is ordered and will be here in a couple of days so onwards and upwards as they say.
Alan.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

I went with a 25 gallon, but I recessed it into the sole to keep it lower. I put a drain in that goes to the bilge.

Completed: FL14, OD18

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Larry, I knew I had seen it done that way but couldn't remember who's build I had seen it in. I am considering the same sort of thing if I run out of room for the fill and vent pipes as I'm trying to keep the casting deck a little lower than the plans so that I can get some cushions made for it.
Alan.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 pm Hi Larry, I knew I had seen it done that way but couldn't remember who's build I had seen it in. I am considering the same sort of thing if I run out of room for the fill and vent pipes as I'm trying to keep the casting deck a little lower than the plans so that I can get some cushions made for it.
Alan, if you do recess the tank, don't forget to put in a drain back to the bilge. That is the only way to drain any water that might get in the tank recess area.
You build is looking great.
Completed: FL14, OD18

cape man

Post by cape man »

With two men and about 1,000 pounds of food and gear, I only used 3 gallons to run 14 miles to camp with the new 70 hp. Based on that, I think I could easily get 200+/- miles out of a 27 gallon tank of gas with a light load and cruising at about 17 knots. Maybe I'll do the great loop in Clara some day! 8O 8O
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

So it has been a while again since I last updated my build diary. I haven't been away this time so have no excuses for not posting my progress. I have however been in full design mode and my boat now looks decidedly "arts and crafts". I have lost track of how many incarnations the console and T-top have now had but at last it has come to a point that things work as expected.

Started off with the leaning post that had to be smaller than a standard one but still big enough for two to share even if it is a bit cozy.

The console had to have enough room for the batteries and head but not take up so much space that you couldn't get around it.

The T-top is the real trick as it has to stow in the front of the boat. I need this for towing and to navigate all the low bridges on the rivers and lakes here. It would obviously have been easier to not have a T-top but if I wanted easy I could have brought a factory boat by now :D . I have CAD software that can simulate this to locate the pivot points and geometry but to be honest I'm not great at animation in CAD so found it easier to mock it up. I'm glad I did as you cant beat walking around something real to get an idea of how its turning out.

The console slowly became smaller and smaller until all the components fitted in the smallest unit I could come up with. The leaning post was modified so many times to make sure I wasn't hunched over as the console shrank. In its final form I have a clear 18" all around the sides to walk fore and aft.

I have been slowly purchasing all the parts for the console as measuring them from drawings is not as accurate as having them in your hands. As the console got smaller it became more important to get the measurements accurate. This is the condition of the box that my steering was shipped in! Amazingly it was all there with no missing parts spilled out during transit. Well done USPS.

At last it's nice to get back to working in wood and not cardboard. I picked up three sheets of 3/8" Okoume from my local boat yard and started laying out the console. Having a full size mock up is so handy when it comes to layout.

The console is starting to materialize at last. Fingers crossed I don't change it again :D .
Alan.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Wow, Alan That is a lot of planning! It's really going to cool to watch you build all this. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice update Alan!! Good technical review of your T-Top and Center Console!! Jeff