OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress and very clean work!!!! Jdeff

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks really good to me. For the record, my rule is I always need more epoxy and foam :)
Dougster

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Pouring the foam was the coolest part of the build! :lol: :lol: Your boat is looking great!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Thanks Guys. Going to try to get the last of the foam in this weekend but probably will take all week as work is busy right now. Have started looking at the fuel tank and finalizing the installation. I have to mount some backing plates under the front sole panel before it goes down to give something for the screws to bite into. I know I chose a 23 gallon tank as it was smaller than CL's and I know I have already had it trial fitted but looking at it now I can't remember how I got it to fit. I am sure this is an age thing :roll: .
Alan.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Very nice and clean work
Completed: FL14, OD18

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:49 pm have now seen just what a home built "working boat" finish is supposed to look like.
I doubt if this guy had ever heard of fairing compound. It is a good example however of just how little messing around you have to do to have a serviceable boat as he was out fishing and earning money every day.

Alan, I'm going to keep this post handy for when I get sick and tired of sanding and fairing(not even close to starting yet, at least on my current boat), great find! Your work is excellent, keep it up!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Ha ha! Love it

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

So, first of all a big apology to all my forum friends for not posting in ages. I didn't realize exactly how long until I opened this page up this morning and realized that my new job, that was supposed to give me time to do stuff like this wasn't working out exactly as I had expected. Strange that it took a pandemic to give me enough time to update this. I didn't expect to be using a word like COVID-19 in this build log when I started it but perhaps it will be a testiest to the times we are all working through.

Thoughts and prayers to all my fellow builders as we all do what we have to during these trying times.

I had to go back and look to see where the posting had stopped as I have been building when time allowed. The sole is almost down and ready to tape in place.

Fitting the bow sole panel.

Marked out for the backing plates

Putting the fuel tank under deck reinforcing in place to give me something to anchor the tank to. I have visions of the bow slapping on top of waves so I don't want to have nightmares about the tank and all that weight coming loose.

I scuffed up the underside of the sole panel to get a good bond to the stringers.

Routed out space for the sole backing plates.

Gave everything another coat of neat epoxy to seal the foam where I had sanded it.

Bonded down the first panel.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

The second panel went down without incident. It was the easiest as there were no chase tubes coming through it.

Like most others I used the offcuts of foam to fill in the bays behind where I was working. Waist not, want not as they say.

Amazing how much room is under this sole.

I used the space heater as a big heat gun to get the best possible expansion. I also found doing it in layers helped get a better fill as the weight of the foam worked against itself if I tried to do a full bay in one pour.

Finally at the last bay.

Well, I don't think its going to sink! I am a little concerned about moisture accumulating under the sole as even with my best efforts its going to eventually let some in.
Alan.