OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Fuzz »

Man those hatch latches are some next level stuff. Where did you learn this or is it something you came up with?

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:40 am Man those hatch latches are some next level stuff. Where did you learn this or is it something you came up with?
Hi Fuzz, both Boeing and Airbus use something a little similar on high speed flush panels that carry no load. Took a fair bit of adapting but I think it works. I will only be opening this panel once or twice a year for maintenance so wanted something flush.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Refitted everything in its place again this morning to start working out hinge locations.

Made a hinge routing jig to make repeat cuts easier. I have several of these to put in the rear lockers also so it is worth the effort to make a proper tool. I have a 3/4" template bit on order to do the cutting.

Notched the anchor hangers. I'm trying to be careful with these as they are still only tacked together and need fillets and glass before they are strong enough to pull around.

I like how this has worked out. There will be a rubber block under the shackle eventually to stop it damaging the hull.
Alan.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Now you're just showing off! 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

cape man wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:31 pm Now you're just showing off! 8)
Possibly, but I am really pleased how she's coming together. This is just payback for all the hours spent sanding the hull. I wont be so vocal once I start sanding and painting the inside.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

So looking for advice with pro's and con's for the bow navigation lights. I have to decide before I go further on the type of lights I intend to use. My choices are:
Shark eye lights fitted into the hull. This has been done on a few dory's and other boats here.

or a single unit mounted onto the breast hook between the bow chocks. A more traditional look for a dory.

I guess it would be more visible on the breast hook as its higher but realistically I won't (or shouldn't) be out in weather were navigation lights being six inches higher makes a lot of difference. Looking for idea's
Alan.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

What about high on the console? I'd want them as far from salt spray as I can get them, sealed or not.

Good to see you are still working on this boat; I haven't checked it in a while.

cape man

Post by cape man »

The reason I went with shark eyes is I don't see them and they don't light up the deck when running at night, making it easier to see where I'm going.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Nice work! I like shark eyes as well.
I used these on my son’s fs18. Reasonably priced, not bulky, best quality, great product.
The whitecap adapter plate illustrates difference in size.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/led.htm
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:59 am Nice work! I like shark eyes as well.
I used these on my son’s fs18. Reasonably priced, not bulky, best quality, great product.
The whitecap adapter plate illustrates difference in size.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/led.htm
Those look great. I like lights outside the boat to keep the inside dark like cape man said. All the exterior lights I found needed to be mounted parallel to centerline so I took a bunch of time to make a little pocket for mine. Those ones you linked the lights are parallel to centerline when the housing is mounted on the curve near the bow. Would have saved me some time.