OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Can anyone please help answer a quick question. I am laying out the aft bottom panel and need to know where the skeg is going to end? I have read lots of posts on this subject and it seems to vary from 8" to 20" forward of the transom depending on speed etc. Thanks.
Alan.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Mine is about 8 inches from the transom. The ass is what will slip out when turning.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Pretty sure mine is about 8 inches also. I would go look but it is covered in several foot of snow as we speak. I sure would not make much more than that on these boats. No need as they are not speed boats.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Quality work in a lovely setting. Sweet. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:00 pm Can anyone please help answer a quick question. I am laying out the aft bottom panel and need to know where the skeg is going to end? I have read lots of posts on this subject and it seems to vary from 8" to 20" forward of the transom depending on speed etc. Thanks.
I just went out and measured mine. Mine is 6"
Completed: FL14, OD18

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Thanks for the help everyone, I am obviously a long way from fitting the skeg but I am going to drill the through hull and fish finder holes while I can work on small panels that will fit on the mill or drill press.

Like most of you I envisioned the layout of the bilge ages ago looking at the drawings but when you start laying it out with two pumps, pump switch, bait well thru hull, fish finder transducer and skeg it gets more crowded than you expect. Not to mention the bunks on the trailer having to be clear of the thru hull but still cover the stringers.

Loving it! :D
Alan.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I have Cracker Larry's No Excuse and looked at his skeg today and it looks like he stopped it about a foot from the transom. There is plenty of flat hull to take the skeg forward and the boat tracks like it was on rails. That is really an ideal length as in lets the water smooth out before the water reaches the motor or the fish finder transmitter or any pump intakes. If you leave the skeg short by 12" you have an area 12 x 24 plenty of room for a 1500gpm bilge pump, a fish well pump, and your tranducer. Don't forget to put a drain through the transom for when your boat is on the trailer.

Also don't worry about your bunks they will be well outside the motor well under the stringers and not interfere at all.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Thanks Tom,

I was planning to put the fish finder transducer and the bait well intake toward the front of the bilge, a few inches back from frame 'E' each side of the skeg. I have read that being a little further forward reduces turbulence and lets the transducer read at higher speeds. Hopefully the skeg won't shield the transducer to much. I am wondering if this is where everyone else has there's :?:

I planned to put the pumps in the aft of the bilge just forward of the transom as this is the lowest point when stationary or moving. I had intended on two bilge pumps, one automatic and one manual as I may have to plug the scuppers if I end up with the same problems as everyone else. Add a bait well pump to this an I'm starting to wonder if this is overkill for a boat of this size. :?:
Alan.

cape man

Post by cape man »

An automatic bilge pump has two leads. One to the battery for the auto switch in the pump, and the other to a switch that now makes it a manual. Have never had an issue getting water out of the boat with a 500 gph pump. While on plane, the water goes out the scuppers with no problem. You don't need two bilge pumps for that small a bilge. Unless you put a huge hole between the bilge and the deck it won't be able to take on enough water to make two pumps necessary.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Have never had an issue getting water out of the boat with a 500 GPH pump.
I think this is a good idea. I felt like I was overdoing it a little with two pumps. Not having the separate manual pump saves me 0.5 lbs. plus the wiring which is great. I had also been thinking in the range of 750 GPH but if you have had no problems with a 500 GPH that's even better at only 1.4 lbs. and 2 amps @ 12v. :D

I know it seems very early to be thinking about things like bilge pumps but I am trying to build as light as possible so hopefully planning now saves ounces later on.
Alan.