OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:38 am If it were mine I'd set a router to a really shallow depth and route it out.
Sorry OneWayTraffic, this has got to be the worst reply in the history of this group. You posted in April and I answer in July!

I did look at replacing the board and also doing an insert repair to remove the contamination but after talking with some of the other guys and Capeman's example of his build where he had to scrape of a complete layup that didn't cure, I decided against it. Capeman has had no delamination problems on Clara with years of use so that went a long way to settling my AREG (Anal Retentive Engineering Gene) :D .

I Cleaned it up carefully and now its little more than just a mark (I hope).
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Everyone,

Though I would update the tread after this long work induced break and let you all know how things are going. The first update is that no significant boat construction has been going on in my workshop as I have been working like crazy. No complaints from me as so many of my friends are now without work and more to follow in October.

I did just return from a work trip visiting my guys in Anchorage and ticked of a couple of bucket list items while I was there. I have always wanted to visit Alaska so have had this trip planned for almost five years.

Anchorage is a great airport and always full of interesting aircraft (I know this is a boat forum but I'm getting to that) :D

You don't see these every day.

So I got a day off and my friend Ang asked if I wanted to go fishing? Never one to turn down an opportunity I said yes and asked where we would be going. The Russian River he said without a care!!!!!! This is a major bucket list item for me and the timing was great as the salmon were still running.

What a great day and the first fish for the box to bring home.

After the Russian River we drove to Hope that was sort of on the way back to Anchorage and fished into the evening. Its a strange feeling fishing at 11pm and its still bright daylight.

A couple of days later another friend asked if I wanted to go out halibut fishing with him on his boat (told you I would get to the boat part). The trip was out of Homer so three of us piled into the camper for another bucket list trip.

Homer is a great place but the economy has been hit hard by the virus shutdown. Great people and very friendly even though they are struggling hence my not complaining about working hard.

See, loads of boats and quite a lot of home builds to look at.

Ang is a compulsive fisherman and immediately went to work catching a salmon off the beach.

Our boat for the next two days was my friend Joe's 19' Sea Sport.

The weather was a bit rough with the second day even worse, but we enjoyed every minute. Eventually Marty gave in to sea sickness and went below. Ang is a real trooper and only stopped reeling in to be sick and then carry on as if nothing had happened. Fortunately Joe and I had spent enough time in rough weather to have no ill effects.

Back in Homer with our catch.

We managed to fill our bag limit both days and after cleaning had nearly 80lb of halibut fillet between us. My share went into the aircraft approved box along with 10lb of salmon and came home with me. My wife asked if I had brought her anything back from Alaska, not sure why she asked this, after all I had just given her 30lb of fish! My poor wife, I lover her dearly :wink:
Alan.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I must be the only human that goes to Alaska and catches nothing. Not even a cold.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Great trip!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:36 pm I must be the only human that goes to Alaska and catches nothing. Not even a cold.
Not sure that's technically true. I recall reading mutiple accounts on some web forum of a guy going to Alaska and not catching anything on his side of the boat, whichever side he was on, while the guy on the other side was limiting out. Don't recall what website but it definitely stuck in my mind for some reason. So you can't be the only one!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Alan, nice work bagging those bucket items, very envious!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Alan glad to hear you had a good time in my neck of the woods. If I had known you and your buddies would be passing by my place I would have had the coffee on. I live in Kasilof. That little SeaSport must fly with that 225 on it! I have a 22 foot SeaSport with 200 on it and it is plenty fast for me :help: Homer is a pretty decent little harbour. AA was impressed with the tides there.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

At last after riding in other peoples boats I am able to do a little bit to mine.

The bilge is cleaned up and the deck drain is finished.

The sole is sanded and a good vacuum. I have spent a fair while sealing around the chase tubes and edges with resin / wood flour and glass strand to try to get the best seal possible. I am quite paranoid about getting water under the sole as this seems to be the most common end of boats like this one.

I gave everything a good fillet of epoxy and wood flour to get a good radius.

I strayed a little from the lamination schedule in the plan here. During the sole installation I managed to sand through some of the glass strands on the chine top. To help reinforce this damage I have gone with two layers along the sides where as the plan only specifies one with two layers on the transom. Putting this tape down was stressful as I wasn't sure if I would have enough resin. As it turned out I had exactly the right amount with nothing to spare.

For those with good eye sight, the resin footprint in the middle of the deck is from my sneaker. I had the whole deck to step on and I managed to step right into a tape. Naughty word uttered under breath :wink:

Started making cardboard templates for the casting deck whilst I wait for more resin and the 6oz cloth for the sole to be delivered.
Alan.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I am quite paranoid about getting water under the sole as this seems to be the most common end of boats like this one.
Good thing to be paranoid about! 8) Looking good!!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman