OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:50 am Great work per usual Alan, slow and steady wins the race!

I'll be very interested to see how you get the hatch covers flush once glass/epoxy has been applied to the rails and to the underside of the hatches. I'm trying to puzzle this out myself as I think through the hatch design and it seems like the only way is to leave an oversized gap and then shim them up to flush once all glass/epoxy has been applied.
I may surprise you to know that I'm interested in how I'm going to do that as well :lol:
Right now I'm not planning to glass the inside of the hatch covers. I made it all out of Meranti off-cuts so its pretty stable and shouldn't move or check too much. I am able to trim the rails a little with a block plane or router if I need to. I did originally contemplate a neoprene seal on top of the rails but after thinking about it I decided that even though these lockers will technically be dry, they wont be that dry and really only splash proof from spray, waves and loads or rain in New England. I may go with a rub-strip of some sort later on.
Alan.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:01 am Option A: Drill oversized and fill to fit a 1" brass tube flared through the hull and leave it at that. Putting a clam-shell cover over this would be to big and look out of proportion. I am opting for brass at and below the waterline so it would look the part.
I always opt for simple when possible so this would be my pick. I personally wouldn't worry about spray etc getting in through the out door, since it will drain right back out anyway.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

How about a very simple hole epoxy coated?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

jacquesmm wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:50 pm How about a very simple hole epoxy coated?
So Jacques wins (for now at least). Its only fair as he designed it :) . I decided on a simple hole and may possibly turn a brass fitting for it to dress it up at a later date.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

I glued a doubler on at the point I wanted to have the drain. Time to get on with it and drill that hole. I selected my sharpest 7/8" hole saw and went at it

There's a hole in my boat dear Liza!

Taped over the outside and filled it.

So far I have left it as a 3/8" hole at the bottom of the resin core. I can decide what to do with this later and can open it up from the outside now I have it located.

The aft bulkhead vent hole turned out OK and fitting the vent cover should be easy.

Cleaned up the anchor locker bulkhead and fitted the anchor stowage strap rings.

I gave the anchor locker a good sand to make sure I got a good bond and cleaned it ready to install the bulkhead. I did contemplate putting a sloping floor in the locker so any water would go toward the drain but that would have needed foam and a ply doubler to make the camber. I remember how heavy the flotation was in my GV10 once I got all the glass on it so decided against it. I was also worried that I may get trapped water under the foam and do more harm than good. I don't think there will be that much water standing in there and I know to mop it out.

Put in the bulkhead, held in position by all the other sub assemblies. Stir sticks used as spacers courtesy of Mc Donalds :) .

The bulkhead is now tacked in and hopefully I will be able to glass it in permanently late this week.
Alan.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Just a heads up, on my dory unless I had the trailer jacked up a ton in the front it would hold water and not drain out the stern. I ended up putting in two drain holes out the sides about 6 foot from the bow.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Great work per usual Alan!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:15 pm Just a heads up, on my dory unless I had the trailer jacked up a ton in the front it would hold water and not drain out the stern. I ended up putting in two drain holes out the sides about 6 foot from the bow.
Thanks Fuzz, fingers crossed I don't end up in the same predicament. I never thought about it before but I guess that does make sense.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Didn't realize I hadn't posted for a while. Progress is slow now as all the parts a small. Tacked in the anchor locker bulkhead

The following day it was put in properly and taped both sides.

That's not going any ware. I lined the locker with 6oz cloth to give it a little protection from the chain etc. bouncing around.

Realized I hadn't finished off the bow eye installation. Not a problem but glad I remembered. I'm impressed that I could find the jig I made to drill the holes. I normally put things like this in a safe place and never find them again.

I made a block from ply offcuts and bonded it into the bow to take the load from the eye. I drilled it all oversize and will fill and drill this when I next mix up some resin.

Anchor hangars finished and amazingly it all fits as I intended in the locker.

Cut all the glass tapes and installed the fuel tank locker and gave everything a good sand.

I made up some doublers from 3/4 ply offcuts to give a good glue surface for the deck when it eventually goes down. I rounded over the bottom corners in an effort not to have sharp corners to catch things on when reaching into the compartments.

Started making the mounting blocks for the fuel tank straps. My plan is to raise up everything I can that has a hole in the deck to help water run away from the hole. I don't know if this will make any difference but it makes me feel better.

Off for my socially distant turkey dinner and a pair of comfortable pants. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
Alan.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I could have used that bow eye jig! Looking great, nice progress!