Jason fs 18 cnc build rounded chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Jason fs 18 cnc build rounded chine

Post by Jsheaffer »

glued together
glued together

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

stringers/transom glued
stringers/transom glued

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

puzzle joint
puzzle joint

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jason, excellent progress!! Glad you are getting some time away from work!! Jeff

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

Stitched the bottom of the hull together last night, need to do a bit of work on the side panels tonight, then hang them tomorrow. I want to have the entire hull stitched and glued before sunday. I have I believe made an error that I want to get some feedback on before I get further.

When I glued the transom together I ended up with all three pieces nicely aligned and firmly adhered. The problem is when I glued the panel with the cutouts for the stringers I hastily applied glue to the entire panel. Now there is hardened epoxy where the stringers fit in. My guess is I will have to sand out all the epoxy in those grooves in order to effectively glue the transom on when it is time correct. Or can I epoxy to a surface that already has epoxy on it? I don't have a pic right this second, but Ill post one if what Im asking is confusing. Thanks--J

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You can epoxy to an already epoxied surface, I'd get a piece of sandpaper in there and try to rough up the surface a bit first, though.
Hank

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

Thanks-Roughing it up is no problem. -J

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

Well. I stitched boat together and am having some doubts

1) the mdf bow mold does to sit flush on the a bulkgead. It sticks up over the A frame by almost a full inch. The notch is fully flushes and is banged in as far as it goes but its still sticks above the a frame. I was thinking that this was by design then i looked through some other buildsto be sure and the bow molds appear flush with the a frame. So is my bow mold supposed to be flush with a or is it part of the rounded chine design to be sticking above. Im thinking its not because the panels do not extend to the leading edge of the a frame and they are flush with all the other molds and frames.
2. The transom notches did not fit properly on the stringers. The nitches had to be extrnded about 3/8 of an inch to make the transom sit flush with the bottom of the boat. Also im concerned that the transom itself is stickimg out a bit . Should the transoms bow side be flush with the panels and bottom hull. Currently i have it secured so that the transom is about half sticking out. In other words the panels and bottom hull are tacked to about the middle of the middle ply.

I will try to upload some pics

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »

1485640887907-178121451.jpg

Jsheaffer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jsheaffer »