Page 1 of 1

SK14 Build

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:56 pm
by puppydrumn
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well as if one boat at a time was not enough we ordered the SK14 kit and should get started this week, it will be a Father/Son project for his first boat, so I am looking forward to it... It will allow me to bounce back and fourth waiting on sticky stuff to dry.. So here we go. Will post up as soon as kit gets here and we get started. Thanks to Jeff and the new crew for all your help with getting it ordered as well as to all the forum members for your help thus far.

Re: SK14 Build

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:30 am
by Jeff
Puppydrumn, nice to see you back on the builders forum. Your SK14 shipped Friday afternoon and should be there probably tomorrow. I will check the freight schedule when I get to the shop and send you an update and the projected delivery date!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:38 pm
by puppydrumn
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ok I must say having the kit cut is awesome. Boat is stitched up however, I am having a major pain trying to get the frames to lay in right.

D frame firs great as it is basically flat
C frame has a a 3/4 gap between frame and bottom
B frame fits decent
A frame is about the same about a 3/4 gap as well as the stringers in the bow.

It almost seems as the wood/boat is twisted. I have cut ties loose, reset retied and still the same. Tried shimming all the way around and one end will get right but then it throws a loop in the other. :doh:

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:39 pm
by puppydrumn
D
image.jpg

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:41 pm
by puppydrumn
C
image.jpg

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:41 pm
by puppydrumn
A
image.jpg

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:43 pm
by puppydrumn
This was a fiddle to get together, is this my problem
image.jpg

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:45 pm
by puppydrumn
Boat seems twisted like one side don't want to bend with other, sorry for the mess started pouring today so I had to move into my boat lift house.
image.jpg

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:19 pm
by puppydrumn
sorry about pics dont know how to flip uploaded from phone

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:25 pm
by Jeff
Wow, hard to believe you just received the kit yesterday!!! Keep building!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:03 am
by topwater
Is it suppose to be built upright with no jig :?:

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 am
by jacquesmm
Yes, that is how we built the last prototype.
However, it is a fact that the sides try to pull out more than expected and strap will help.
If you use a strap, clamp a temporary rubrail along the sheer, just to keep it fair.

When you pull the sides together, the hull shape changes a little bit, the deadrise increase which is good.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:15 pm
by puppydrumn
Thanks for the links. We got it as good as we could today. Forward bow frame still won't sit down so I went ahead and spot welded everything from B back to transom. All in all everything else fit good.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:24 pm
by puppydrumn
Still ended up with a 1/4-1/2 gap on frame, filled it up with thickened epox and went on with it.
image.jpg

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm
by puppydrumn
image.jpg

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:35 pm
by puppydrumn
image.jpg

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:36 pm
by puppydrumn
Should have inside fillets and taping wrapped up tomorrow

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:39 pm
by puppydrumn
Feel pretty good for 2.5 days. So far I'm really liking the kit.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:05 pm
by jacquesmm
Frame A looks much better now.
Great fast progress.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 pm
by puppydrumn
Thanks Jacques, pretty pleased with it so far... Frame A is not installed yet, I could not get it to lay down without knocking everything else out of its place. I figured I could pull and bend were needed after it cured to get the bow straight, no big deal I hope. The only thing I can remotely figure out is the two side panels have opposite grain direction and causing it to twist in the bow, if that even makes since.. :doh:

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:39 pm
by puppydrumn
Can anyone tell me why the pics uploaded from phone are rotated or how to fix them, kinda painful on the eyes 8O

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm
by Jeff
Puppydrumn, I will get Jamie to help you first thing tomorrow!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:08 pm
by puppydrumn
Thanks Jeff. I will only buy kits from now on, it's well worth the pennies extra.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 pm
by Jeff
I completely agree but some really like doing the cutting themselves!!! The CNC kit just saves time and makes it easier to get quite a bit accomplished in a short time!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 pm
by puppydrumn
The kit came with 2 doubler plates were do they go???

I see several different locations on other builds.

Do I put one in the middle (between frame D&C, that space measures 35 1/2 and the doubler sent with kit measures 24" ?????

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:01 pm
by puppydrumn
image.jpg

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:03 pm
by puppydrumn
image.jpg

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:03 pm
by puppydrumn
image.jpg
Deck cleats, wanted a little extra support.. Don't like squishy decks. Just my preference... Not worried about the few extra pounds.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:07 pm
by Jeff
Puppydrumn, really nice work accomplished by you and your son!!! Have a good weekend!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 am
by Dougster
Hey 'Drum, I just posted on my thread and then saw this. My double is not 24" long, it's the full 35 1/2". Maybe not necessary to be that long, though you need to know where the feet of the grab bar will sit to make sure the double extends there. Maybe put it all the way forward against frame C :doh:

Dougster

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:56 am
by puppydrumn
Thanks Doug, that is what I was thinking, planning on buying the grab rail they sell here. Thanks again.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:19 pm
by puppydrumn
Pouring foam
image.jpg

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:32 pm
by puppydrumn
side chambers

Frame B and C (p/s) chamber: 24oz total each
Between C and D (p/s) chamber: 30oz total each
Between D and Transom (p/s) chamber: 24oz total each

Middle chamber between frames 36oz each.

Warmed up shop as best I could. My guess 80

So I ran short will have to order more. I'm sure it was due to temp. :lol:

Mixed 1:1 ratio

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 pm
by Jeff
Puppydrumn, are you sure you need more foam. Looks really good!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:49 pm
by puppydrumn
Hey Jeff, I think I will be good.... looks good to me after it hardened... that's two gallons.. I believe she will float :doh:

Decks going on tomorrow... and last rubrail

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:59 pm
by Jeff
You and your son are moving quickly with this build!! Looking really good!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 am
by puppydrumn
Sole installed, got casting deck cleats tacked up. As soon as I get the casting deck on we will flip and finish out bottom flip back and complete topside. This has really been a fun boat to build.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 am
by puppydrumn
Sole installed and bow platform cleats tacked up. Once bow deck installed will flip and start on bottom. This little boat has been a fun project
image.jpg

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am
by Jeff
Looks really good Puppydrumn!! How did you like those puzzle joints? Now do you think the CNC kit is worth it if time is a factor in the build? Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:23 pm
by puppydrumn
Gotta love it. He is hooked. Kit is by far the way to go. My 12 year old son has built 85% of this build with supervision of course. Future business, Cody said why would you ever buy a boat built.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:24 pm
by peter-curacao
puppydrumn wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:23 pm Gotta love it. He is hooked. Kit is by far the way to go. My 12 year old son has built 85% of this build with supervision of course.
That's awesome!! great job 8) 8)

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:40 pm
by MrPaul
Quite an accomplishment for your son! It things like this that keep kids out of trouble and helps mold them into productive adults. Good job!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:15 pm
by Dougster
Great project for you and your son. I'm pretty sure early life positive experiences like that build the kind of passion for hobbies, interests, and passions that enrich our adult lives. Hard to beat.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:54 pm
by puppydrumn
Couldn't agree more all. Thanks for the compliments.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 pm
by wannabatc
Thanks for the hello over on my post (sk14 and fs 14 build in NC). Life and work have got me way behind and really haven't put much time in and have to be gone again tomorrow day but I am putting some work in tomorrow night.

Great job by your son and nice to see families sill working on projects together. I'm enjoying following your progress.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm
by snook
nice builds, your son is learning that work has real life benefits. good job guys. look forward to more.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:40 pm
by Pirate Pete
Nice Build. I was running out of momentum on my sk14 build in the face of putting the doublers around the sides. Your post was inspirational and now I am back on track. Thanks.

Pete

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:17 pm
by Explorer 19TV
Hey guys we’ll its been a journey and a trip around the US but we are back in Florida to retire. Thought I would post were the ole girl is today. We did a make over and got her converted from Trolling motor to outboard. Hope you enjoy. Will be ready for a splash in a few days.
Stern view, 1968 Mercury
Stern view, 1968 Mercury
My custom tiller extension
My custom tiller extension
Forward view, front cooler built in and converted to a livewell with overflow.
Forward view, front cooler built in and converted to a livewell with overflow.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:51 am
by Eric1
Looking Good!