FS 19 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS 19 build

Post by willg »

I'd recommend larger caster wheels over smaller ones, will make it easier to roll. On my PH18 I had "medium" size and I wish I had gone "large." Looking forward to your build.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Got the rest of the casters installed and the strongback is finished and in place. I used eleven 4" swiveling casters, each rated for 300 lbs. The strongback rolls very easily with a light touch. We'll see how it handles the weight. Now to cut out the panels and start joining them together.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Got lots of pieces cut out of the sheets and will be gluing them up to full size over the next couple of days after I defuzz the edges. The multitool with the saw blade is perfect for cutting the tabs off of the parts.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Browndog, glad your build has started!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Glued up the first of the bottom panels this morning and also two of the clamping boards are being glued up. Will continue to cut pieces out of the sheets tonight. Need to get the molds cut out still.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Browndog, that is some really good looking marine plywood with puzzle joints!!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Browndog,

Where did you get your casters from?
I'm going to have to get some under my build soon.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Eric,

I got the current set of casters from Northern Tool. I also have some from Harbor Freight, but they are a slightly different size, so I chose not to mix them.

Regards,
Jordy

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thank You

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Got all of the molds cut out of the MDF sheets. Between last night and this morning. Man, are they heavy. Also got the third clamping board glued up with the other two. Using a couple of dowels to keep everything aligned. A great tip that I picked up here on the forum. I mixed up too much gel magic at one time and it started to kick in the mixing cup. Had to mix up some more to finish laminating the clamping boards. Lesson learned. Will try to get at least one of the bottom panels glued up later today or tonight.