FS 19 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS 19 build

Post by remedy32 »

Maybe it's just the picture but the BL side (facing down right now) of the stringer should be perpendicular (@90deg) to the molds and does not seem to be. I realize that the stringer angle to frame F is set by the motor well sides. With the stringers angling down (as they seem to) running toward the bow I'm guessing that the angle isn't 90 at the other molds. I'd also take a look at the stringer and groove at mold B; where stringer seems to be sitting pretty low in the slot.

Maybe it's just the picture playing tricks but it pays to be sure everything lays out correctly.

Bill
CT

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The notch finessing that I referenced was due to the fact that the stringer was sitting proud of Frame D by a good amount, about 3/4". Checked everything for level and squareness first and then tried making the notch on Frame D deeper. It did not help as the stringers were hanging up in both frames B & C. I thought about lowering the notches in E & F frames, but they were fine and I was worried that changing things near the stern would cause the transom angle to be changed. Making the notches deeper in Frames B and C allowed the stringers to settle lower in Frame D, but caused the stringers to be low in B & C as seen in the picture.

My thought was as the stringers will be inverted into the boat upon flipping, and that they will likely need to be finessed somewhat due to the interior fiberglassing and insertion of the actual frames that my primary goal is to ensure that the hull panels should be fair against the molds and that the most important frame to get right is F to set the transom angle. If that is not correct than I need to make some changes before putting the panels on tomorrow.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Meant to say the stringer was originally sitting proud in Frame E, not D.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hey Browndog looking good. If the stringers are setting low you can shim them up to be even with the frames. The biggest thing that has to be correct before you put the panels on is that the boat is square. Measure from the transom on the port side to frame B on the starboard side and vice versus. You should be within a 1/4-1/2" before you put your panels on.

Good luck on the panels, she'll look like a boat once they are on. :D
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Tom thanks. Just measured the diagonals again and they are within 1/8" of each other. I'm going to go ahead and put the panels on and see how they look.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

My wife helped me to move the long panels into position on the mold. They are each attached with only 3 or 4 very loose zip ties. Very cold for here this morning, about 38 degrees F, so don't want to put too much stress on the panels. Will put more zip ties in later today after things warm up a bit.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Don't worry about some minor adjustments when putting the jig together. You did it right by giving priority to fairness. Nothing should stick out.
The panels will produce a fair and correct shape and it looks like you are there: it looks nice and smooth.

Yes, later, after the inside fiberglass, you will have to trim frames and stringers to get over the fiberglass seams.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

She really looks like a boat now :D . This cold weather is miserable for sure. Not expected for this time of year had snow up here.

It is going to be great watching your build as we have not followed an FS19 to completion before.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

We have had house guests for the last five days which we really enjoyed. Took their two boys fishing everyday. The boat project took a backseat during their stay. Got back at it this morning. Took all the panels off to cover the molds and other areas with tape so they wouldn't stick to the panels when I start gluing things up. I had forgotten to do it and needed to take a step back. Got the transom ready to be glued in and built a support brace for it and temporarily attached it with screws while dry fitting everything. Tonight I glued in the transom with EZ fillet on the bottom panels and Gel Magic for the side panels.

Used screws to clamp things in place while the epoxy sets up. Will go around tomorrow and set gaps in all of the panels and start tacking things in place.

evansjonathanm
New Poster
New Poster

Post by evansjonathanm »

thanks, brother!