FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS18

Post by rbecker08 »

So when cutting I will stick my tongue out the right side of my mouth and tilt my head to the left, that should get us a gap :help:. More measuring tonight anyone have any dimensions on the sole pieces, or is it custom cut to the hull after flipping :doh:. Other options on the table include illiteracy but I looked over the plans a few times.

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Just remember to not stick out your tongue while sanding.. Tilting of the head is still ok. :lol:

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Dutch1 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:01 pm Just remember to not stick out your tongue while sanding.. Tilting of the head is still ok. :lol:
I think you have to switch the side you tilt too or all the swirls come out the same way and look funny.

So I do feel like I learn something everyday, if you want to learn to build a boat go to crackers thread, this is rapidly becoming a race to the bottom of the construction world. As a learning always start with the curves near the edge of the plywood, they kinda change the position of the top of the piece. Top line is right, bottom one is almost a very expensive mistake. I like square boats I am rapidly becoming a fan of tom hanks raft in castaway
IMG_0277.JPG
Last edited by rbecker08 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Also general question looks like I going to come up a few feet short on the stringers what options do I have, I was thinking of getting a piece of marine fir locally but know checking is an issue. Just trying to avoid having to order one sheet of ply at 200 dollarish. I know they fit in the ply I ordered but it's so tight I can't get it without a long long long measuring and remeasuring process Risk to the whole project isn't really worth trying to make it fit. Thanks for the toughts

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

I hear ya on the long measurement process. I was too excited to cut and didn't mark the stringers on the sheets before I cut my pieces out. It took me a little while to cut the stringers out of what was left but it can be done.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

It is what it is just wondering if I can use more readily available materials to fill the gap I am fairly certain I wil have

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

For stringers and transoms there is nothing wrong with fir marine. In fact it is stiffer and might even be better for those uses. The down side of fir is it checks if not glassed on both sides. And it soaks up more epoxy so you end up with the same or more cost in many cases. If it were me I would not think twice, go get the fir for the stringers and charge ahead.

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

It is best to wait until after the hull is glassed and flipped before cutting the sole, deck, and gunnel pieces. Each hull will be slightly different, and this way you can get a good fit. For the deck you can lay the ply on top and trace the outline, subtracting the necessary amount all around if the deck drops down onto cleats glued to the inside of the hull. For the sole, lay out a grid, pulling measurements off the center line to port and starboard, and you'll get a perfect fit.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

seaslug wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:30 am It is best to wait until after the hull is glassed and flipped before cutting the sole, deck, and gunnel pieces. Each hull will be slightly different, and this way you can get a good fit. For the deck you can lay the ply on top and trace the outline, subtracting the necessary amount all around if the deck drops down onto cleats glued to the inside of the hull. For the sole, lay out a grid, pulling measurements off the center line to port and starboard, and you'll get a perfect fit.
Spot on to what I was thinking thanks for the help

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch »

For what it's worth, I took one look at that nesting drawing and put it back in the envelope it came in. I laid everything out from the detail drawings. They are dead on the money and, if you are careful, you should end up with exactly what you need. You could still use the nesting drawing to check yourself.
Good luck with your build. I saw the construction mgr, the first mate, the grunt, and the stowaway. I didn't see the captain. I guess she was shoe shopping or something? :)
Ken