FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by Eric1 »

I'm Happy for you Reid!

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Eric1 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am I'm Happy for you Reid!
Thanks Eric!
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Got the fillet run on the sole seams and the seams taped. I'm telling you, if you haven't tried the "piping bag" technique for your fillets you are missing out! It was a humid, 85 degree day down here in FL and I had no problem applying the fillet with a piping bag and then applying the tape "wet on wet". I takes a little practice to get your technique down but once you do you will never apply fillet any other way!
-Reid
FS18_Sole_Tape.jpg
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Nice work, Reid!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Thanks for the tip a few months ago!

The bag can get hot though.

Sole looks awesome. Does it feel nice and tight with all the foam under it?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm Thanks for the tip a few months ago!

The bag can get hot though.

Sole looks awesome. Does it feel nice and tight with all the foam under it?
Dan,

You definitely need to work fast with the piping bag, but if you have done the prep work it can be applied very fast.

The floor feels like I'm walking on concrete. I am really happy with the way it came out!
-Reid
- Steven Wright

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Very nice taping job! The neatness will save lots of sanding.
Did you epoxy glue the sole to the foam?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:56 pm Very nice taping job! The neatness will save lots of sanding.
Did you epoxy glue the sole to the foam?
I rolled some neat epoxy on the under side of the sole and the foam. While it was still wet, I used a notched spreader and spread some thickened epoxy on the underside of the sole, along the edges. I also put some thickened epoxy on all of the stringer/frame tops and the edge supports. The floor really feels solid as a rock all over!
-Reid
- Steven Wright

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Well executed plan 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

I got started on my gunwale supports. I am modifying the design slightly (with Jacques approval of course). Instead of installing two gunwale supports cut from 3/8" and spaced 36" apart, I am installing three gunwale supports on each side. They will be cut from three layers of 3/8" and spaced 27" apart. They will also have rod holders cut out of them. I did this so I could avoid running chase tubes into frame "B". The length of the cockpit is 9' which would fit a rod easily, however, because the reel of the rod would need to sit close to the gunwale support in order for it to balance properly I would need additional space in order to fit a 7' rod. Thus the need to do a chase tube. I couldn't just space out the two gunwale supports further apart or move one support aft in order to accommodate a 7' rod so I decided on evenly spacing three supports which gave me enough room for a rod to balance properly and not hit frame "B". (sorry if that was a long winded explanation)
I measured the angle created by the sole and the hull sides, had Crystal create me a CNC file for all of the supports, and cut them on the CNC machine. Next, I laminated the three layers of each support together using neat epoxy and lots of clamps.
While those were setting up I went ahead and added a layer of 10 oz. woven to the sole for some abrasion resistance. Once the gunwale supports are cured I will mount them and get ready to start the fairing process on the cockpit and hatch compartments.
Here are a few photos of the progress.
-Reid
FS18 gunwale support 1.jpg
FS18 gunwale support 2.jpg
FS18 gunwale support 3.jpg
FS18 gunwale support 4.jpg
- Steven Wright