FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by Eric1 »

Looks good Reid!

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Eric1 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 pm Looks good Reid!
Thanks Eric!
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Boat is looking awesome Reid! The sole went together great and glad to hear it is rock solid as I'm going to follow your lead and do mine the same way. Do you use a tip on the piping bag when you use it to apply filets?

Bob

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

toadfish wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:35 pm Boat is looking awesome Reid! The sole went together great and glad to hear it is rock solid as I'm going to follow your lead and do mine the same way. Do you use a tip on the piping bag when you use it to apply filets?

Bob
Bob,
I don't use a tip. I simply fill the bag and cut the corner off of the bag. Be careful not to cut too big of a hole or you will get too much fillet material coming out. Start small, you can always make the cut larger.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

When I use a zip lock bag for pipping bag I also "kneed" , squeeze my material and keep it moving around, in the bag so I can extend it's use time. If you feel it to start warming up you best be moving faster and mix less next time.

Your gunwale ribs looking good Reid.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Nice!

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm When I use a zip lock bag for pipping bag I also "kneed" , squeeze my material and keep it moving around, in the bag so I can extend it's use time. If you feel it to start warming up you best be moving faster and mix less next time.

Your gunwale ribs looking good Reid.
Thanks for the input OrangeQuest!
-Reid
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Bogieman wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 amNice!
Thanks Bogie!
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Hey Everyone,

I put another cote of epoxy on all of the gunwale supports. The plan is to leave the supports as bright work (except for the front edge which will be painted). Here are a few photos of the progress.
-Reid

I did a quick dry fit to make sure they all fit and were aligned properly.
FS18 Gunwale support 5.jpg
I mixed up some epoxy glue and used a notched spreader to apply it to the hull sides. Once it is cured I will run some fillets along the edges. I had to rig up a wedge system to put some pressure on the bottom of the gunwale supports. Once the forward and aft supports are dry I will install the middle supports.
FS18 Gunwale Support 6.jpg
FS18 Gunwale Support 7.jpg
- Steven Wright

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Looks great! I think you are going to meet the deadline. :wink:
Just a suggestion, I put a small limber hole in the lower edge of each support to keep the water flowing back.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146