FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by Dutch1 »

Looks great Reid!

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Reid wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 pm Image
O wow! that looks beautiful 8)

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Thanks Peter!
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Reid,
What's the latest on your build?

Steve

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Reid wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm Thank you everyone for the positive feedback!!!
Today I finished up the epoxy glue welds in between the zip ties. Next I will cut out the zip ties and finish off the fillets. I will have a little work to do on the chine and bow tip to get that nice and smooth and ready for glass. I will also be working to bow tip to add a flat spot for my bow eye. All of my fillets will be quarter rounded in order for the glass to lay down without any air pockets. Once the glassing is done I will go back in with fairing compound and make the edges sharp again.

Reid,

Did you use any spacers (nails..) between the slats on the round chime?
Did you use PVC tubing on the other side?

Bob.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Dutch1 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:57 pm Reid,
What's the latest on your build?

Steve
Steve,

Sorry to say that I haven't done much on the build lately. Jeff and I have been busy working on our new building and the upcoming move as well as the upgrades for the website. My wife and I also added a new addition to our family in April, a baby boy named Reilly. Needless to say, pretty much all of my free time goes to him! I am hoping to get back on the FS18 as soon as we move. Once the trailer that I ordered is done I will flip the boat onto it and get started on the interior. We are hoping to move into our new location by the end of September. (fingers crossed!)

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Capt UB wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 am
Reid wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm Thank you everyone for the positive feedback!!!
Today I finished up the epoxy glue welds in between the zip ties. Next I will cut out the zip ties and finish off the fillets. I will have a little work to do on the chine and bow tip to get that nice and smooth and ready for glass. I will also be working to bow tip to add a flat spot for my bow eye. All of my fillets will be quarter rounded in order for the glass to lay down without any air pockets. Once the glassing is done I will go back in with fairing compound and make the edges sharp again.

Reid,

Did you use any spacers (nails..) between the slats on the round chime?
Did you use PVC tubing on the other side?

Bob.
Bob,

Behind the slits in the round chine I actually used pieces of a no. 2 pencil that I cut up. The PVC pipe was too large for this area. I didn't need any spacers for this section. I was able to systematically tighten and loosen those zip ties in order to keep the spacing consistent.
Reid
- Steven Wright

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Good looking kid and a full head of hair :wink:

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Reid,
That is awesome! Congrats! It doesn't seem like it at first but dang they grow too fast!

The boat will be there when you can get back at it. Believe me, I know...

Steve

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Great looking Boy Reid! Time with the young'uns is the most precious time there is.
All to soon he will be a man.