FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by OrangeQuest »

I love it!! Way to think outside the box...and make the box!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:34 pm I love it!! Way to think outside the box...and make the box!
I see what you did there! :wink:
Thanks
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Wow Reid! The box and grab bar look awesome. How will you drain the cup holders?

Bob

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

toadfish wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:50 am Wow Reid! The box and grab bar look awesome. How will you drain the cup holders?

Bob
The box has no bottom to it. I will probably attach some kind of mesh so water can drain through it and air can circulate. The cup holders will have drain tubes that attach and stop just shy of the bottom edge.
The other idea is to put a bottom on it with drain holes. But I like the idea of allowing air to circulate and avoid any mold and mildew. I will just have to do a good wiring job and keep it sprayed down to avoid corrosion.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

So let me preface this by saying "yes I am aware it has been a while since I have posted". We have been really fortunate to have remained busy during this pandemic so my build time has been at a minimum.
I have spent some time on the bow and aft deck hatches (these pictures will come a little later) as well as fairing and priming of the cockpit, aft compartment, and bow compartment. Going to get some EMC paint ordered, get the interior painted, and install the fuel tank and other accessories before I install the hatch supports and channels. I will be going with the EMC Offshore White for the interior and Ice Blue for the exterior.
-Reid
This is the bow compartment. The 4 bolts are for mounting the fuel tank. The grey chase tube is for the fuel line and the white chase tube is for the sending unit.
FS18 Bow Hatch Primer.jpg
I glued up some cleats to support the aft deck.
FS18 Aft Deck Support 2.jpg
FS18 Aft Deck Support 1.jpg
FS18 Cockpit Primer 1.jpg
The gunnel supports and frame B will remain as bright work.
FS18 Cockpit Primer 2.jpg
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to throw this question out there and get your feedback. I was originally thinking about putting a 4' Power Pole on the FS18. However, I have been reconsidering this. I am thinking it might get in the way when I am poling. Also, not sure how much I would actually need it.
Thoughts?

Thanks,
Reid
- Steven Wright

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I agree that the power pole will likely get in the way of poling. A 4 foot power pole really is only good probably in 2 foot depth or less. I have an 8 foot power pole on my flats skiff and in anything over 5 feet of depth it won’t hold very well, especially with wind or tide.

On my brother’s FS 19 I installed a removable fiberglass stick it pole and transom bracket that I got from you guys and it is easy to store out of the way, costs way less and is easier to install too.

Of course you can also use whatever you are using to pole with and use that with a rope tied to the boat to do the same thing.

The boat is looking good. Keep it up!

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Thanks for the reply Browndog! I agree with you. I think I will use the push pole as an anchor and keep it simple.

-Reid
- Steven Wright

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Reid, I tried about every anchor option I could think of other than a mechanical product (like power pole). The goal was to keep it light and simple and not add clutter. Kept going back to using the push pole as a stake-out stick but the manufacturer highly discouraged it and it simply doesn't work well unless the bottom is very soft. After fighting it for a year, I put this transom bracket on and got a small fiberglass stake-out stick for $100 and it works great. Several people make them (power pole, stiffy, etc.) and it will fit in your rod holders. I have been very happy with this option.
Attachments
IMG_8658.jpg

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a few photos of my hatch lids and show you the process that worked well for me. This was pretty easy and I think it will yield a nice result.
The main part of the lid is the 9mm cutout from the aft and bow decks. I then added a second layer of 9mm, recessed 2" from the edge, to the underside of the lid. This second layer made for a really stiff panel!
Next, I ripped some strips of 6mm ply, 3/4" wide. I then epoxy glued these to the underside edges of both lids in order to make a lip. I simply used woodflour and epoxy for the glue. In order to make the radiused corners of the lip I cut some small pieces of plastic and taped them to the outside and inside of the radius. This created a nice dam for me to fill with some thickened epoxy. For this application I used some silica and milled fibers. The result was a smooth radius that matched the radius of the lid. I will sand everything down, prime it, and get ready to paint it.
-Reid
FS18 hatch lid 1.jpg
FS18 hatch lid 2.jpg
FS18 hatch lid 3.jpg
FS18 hatch lid 4.jpg
- Steven Wright