FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by Reid »

cape man wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm Too cool! Love the porcupine look!
I agree, I think that may cause a drag problem on the water though! :wink:
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

It's looking good Reid!

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

You did a great job on the stitching, so you're off to a good start. You should brace the legs on the strong back. I would run long 2x4's along the bottom tying the legs together, as well as port to starboard, than some diagonal bracing. The hull doesn't weigh anything now, but believe me, when you get further along, 250-350 pounds is more than you think and will wrack the hell out of a poorly braced platform, especially if you're going to be rolling it around. Mike

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

seaslug wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 pm You did a great job on the stitching, so you're off to a good start. You should brace the legs on the strong back. I would run long 2x4's along the bottom tying the legs together, as well as port to starboard, than some diagonal bracing. The hull doesn't weigh anything now, but believe me, when you get further along, 250-350 pounds is more than you think and will wrack the hell out of a poorly braced platform, especially if you're going to be rolling it around. Mike
Mike,
I thought about bracing the legs when I added them on to the strongback. This was an old strongback that Jacques had lying around the shop. I just happened to work perfectly for this build and I added legs to it. I just got done with the masking tape on the inside hull and not having braces in way made it easier to get under there. I think I will brace the legs once the outside of the hull is completed and we are ready to flip. Thanks again!!!
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Looking good Reid!

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback!!!
Today I finished up the epoxy glue welds in between the zip ties. Next I will cut out the zip ties and finish off the fillets. I will have a little work to do on the chine and bow tip to get that nice and smooth and ready for glass. I will also be working to bow tip to add a flat spot for my bow eye. All of my fillets will be quarter rounded in order for the glass to lay down without any air pockets. Once the glassing is done I will go back in with fairing compound and make the edges sharp again.

- Steven Wright

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

http://i.imgur.com/rgAXqIm.jpg?1 A porcupine!

Really good work!!!
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Looks great Reid! 8)

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Today I was able to get the seams completely filled with fillets. Prior to filling in the gaps where the zip ties were, I did some sanding. I did a little quarter round sanding where the bottom panels and the side panels meet towards the transom so I can ensure a good quarter round when tape and cloth get laid down. I also did some sanding on the rounded chine in order to give the chine a nice smooth round transition for when cloth goes on. I figure that the more work I put into getting the shape right now, the more work I will save myself later when it comes to fairing. I mixed up more wood flour and MarinEpoxy and filled the rest of the gaps. I also used it as kind of a "Bondo" for making the rounded chine nice and smooth. Once this sets up I will come back with my sander (60 grit) and sand out any imperfections. Very close to getting some tape down on the seams!!!

- Steven Wright

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Nice work Reid! 8)