FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by Dutch1 »

Looks great man! You are flying!

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

Looking good Reid! How did you tape under the bow part so that excess PB wouldn't fall through? (Since there are so many crevices)

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

You're doing a great job so far, and looks a lot better than mine did at this stage. The CNC cut bow section went together a lot better than mine, and from looking at the earlier pictures I could see with the CNC kit the gaps between the long strips are a lot wider than what mine were cutting with a jigsaw. The jig saw blade doesn't create a wide enough kerf, so I really struggled with the entire bow with the strips binding against each other, and having to do a lot of trimming with a multi tool and jig saw as I tightened the zip ties. It required a lot more fairing than yours will need. Nice job. Mike

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Really nice!

poleposition
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by poleposition »

Could someone give a brief summary of how you create the rounded chine for idiots like me? Im guessing you round the edge of the frame closest to the bow and then cut strips from the bottom and side panels....... ( ??? )

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

poleposition wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm Could someone give a brief summary of how you create the rounded chine for idiots like me? Im guessing you round the edge of the frame closest to the bow and then cut strips from the bottom and side panels....... ( ??? )
Poleposition,

Being in the middle of building the FS18 "round chine" option, I will tell you the differences between this version and the hard chine.
Starting with the frames: Frames A and B (the two frames closest to the bow) are cut slightly different than the hard chine option. The "chine" edge of each frame has a radius cut instead of a hard edge. The picture below shows this.

As far as the hull panels are concerned, there are slits cut into both the bottom hull panels and the side hull panels. On the FS18, these cuts begin around Station/Frame C (third station back from the bow). As you can see from the picture below the number of slits increases as you get closer to the bow in order to accommodate for the increased curve as you near the bow. One thing to note, when you are making a rounded chine you need to remove some of the material in between the slits. We made our cuts with a 1/4" router bit on our CNC machine. If you don't remove some of the material the slits won't come together around the rounded frames.

I hope this helps!!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

poleposition
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by poleposition »

^
Many thanks, Reid---that was the info I was looking for. I meant to add in the previous post that the boat looks great and am looking forward to following your build till completion.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Thank you, Poleposition!!! This is definitely a fun project and can't wait till I get to splash her!!

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Hey Reid, I know we've talked about the chine cuts in the plywood, but until now I wasn't aware that you guys cut the slits with a 1/4" router bit. For the builders that do not purchase the CNC cut kit, it would be very helpful to include in the plans a notation to cut the strips with a wide gap. I had an awful time shaping the bow section because I used a thin kerfed jig saw blade for the cuts. It was the hardest part of the build, and looking at your pictures I can see how nicely yours came together. If I had known beforehand, I would have avoided about 20 hours of extra work. Mike

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

SeaSlug, really good point!! I will ensure we add that that input to the building notes!! Jeff