FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by Reid »

fishgitr wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm Looking good Reid! How did you tape under the bow part so that excess PB wouldn't fall through? (Since there are so many crevices)
Fishgitr,
Thanks!
I just used some 3M painters tape and crawled under the bow. I had built the strongback approx 2' off of the ground for the ease of working under it. These were all great suggestions that I got from Seaslug.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

seaslug wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:38 pm Hey Reid, I know we've talked about the chine cuts in the plywood, but until now I wasn't aware that you guys cut the slits with a 1/4" router bit. For the builders that do not purchase the CNC cut kit, it would be very helpful to include in the plans a notation to cut the strips with a wide gap. I had an awful time shaping the bow section because I used a thin kerfed jig saw blade for the cuts. It was the hardest part of the build, and looking at your pictures I can see how nicely yours came together. If I had known beforehand, I would have avoided about 20 hours of extra work. Mike
Seaslug,

If it makes you feel any better, when we cut the chine cuts with the CNC we had the machine set to only cut 2/3 of the way thru (for packing/shipping purposes) and finished the cut with small had saw. This meant that when I realized that I needed the full 1/4" width removed in order to make it come together I had to shave each strip with my utility knife. (pretty sure this is how carpel tunnel begins). But definitely good suggestions for the building notes. Talk to you soon!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

seaslug wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:38 pm Hey Reid, I know we've talked about the chine cuts in the plywood, but until now I wasn't aware that you guys cut the slits with a 1/4" router bit. For the builders that do not purchase the CNC cut kit, it would be very helpful to include in the plans a notation to cut the strips with a wide gap. I had an awful time shaping the bow section because I used a thin kerfed jig saw blade for the cuts. It was the hardest part of the build, and looking at your pictures I can see how nicely yours came together. If I had known beforehand, I would have avoided about 20 hours of extra work. Mike
Yes, we need that note.
The length of the edge of a station on the rounded chine is shorter than the length of the hard chine version. In other words, that curve is shorter than the two straight line by 1 or 2" depending on how close to the bow you are.
With the CNC machine, that is taken care off automatically by 6 to 8 cuts of a 1/4" wide but when cutting with a jig saw, the station curve is too long.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bajabugs
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bajabugs »

Can you bolt 2 circular saw blades together to make that cut?, maybe an arbor spacers required ? just a thought...

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

bajabugs wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am Can you bolt 2 circular saw blades together to make that cut?, maybe an arbor spacers required ? just a thought...
Bajabugs,
The issue with putting two circular saw blades together is that the cuts aren't straight. You would be better off taking it really slow with a router or with a jig saw. A fine blade hand saw would work well also.

Reid
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Getting the boat ready for glass finally!! We will be having a short break from the 85+ degree temps. this weekend, going to dip down to the mid 60's on Saturday morning!!! (Don't say anything FUZZ!!!) I have the 12 oz., 6" biax tape cut for the keel (2 strips overlapping by a few inches.), the chines, and the transom. I have cut the 12 oz. biax fiberglass as well. All the tape and cloth will be rolled up on individual tubes to facilitate in the lay up. The plan is to do everything wet on wet with the last layer being a layer of fairing compound. I have also made a skeg for the keel. It is made from a polyurethane foam that has great compression strength (not sure exactly what it is, it was a sample that we had laying around the shop). It is 1.5" wide, 3/4" tall, and 4' long. I will put it about 18" from the transom so that it won't interfere with the prop and cause any cavitation.
Enjoy the pics, hopefully the next post on Monday will be with the hull fully glassed!

- Steven Wright

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Is it ok to tell you it is looking really good :doh:

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Fuzz wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 12:58 pm Is it ok to tell you it is looking really good :doh:
Absolutely!!! I will take that compliment. I just figured I was setting myself up for a comment on how weak us south Floridians are when it comes to the cold weather. :D
- Steven Wright

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

sad to see your results - first I have seen that happen

looks like KIWI wants you to prep with 100 grit............

see link
http://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/applyingkiwigrip.html

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Reid wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm Absolutely!!! I will take that compliment. I just figured I was setting myself up for a comment on how weak us south Floridians are when it comes to the cold weather. :D
Not me :D Heck if it was 85f I would be laying in front of an air conditioner begging for mercy :lol: