Page 1 of 1

FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:35 am
by Reid
Well we have finally begun our project build here at the Boat Builder Central warehouse. We chose to go with one of our most popular designs, the FS18. We chose to go with the Straight Sheer and Rounded Chine option. Also, and I'm sure this is no surprise, we went with the CNC kit cut from Okoume BS1088 6mm and 9mm. The goal for this boat would be to use it in our travels to boat shows and, of course, fish the heck out of it!!! You will notice some slight differences that the CNC kit has from cutting the plywood by hand. For example, the puzzle joints made joining the pieces for the hull panels extremely easy. It is time to start the stitching process so I will talk with you soon.
Imgur Album

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:08 pm
by Fuzz
Good deal! We need somebody else to razz :lol:

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:30 pm
by Eric1
At least you won't run out of epoxy or fiberglass! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:03 pm
by Newt
Eric1 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:30 pm At least you won't run out of epoxy or fiberglass! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or Quickfair! :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:23 pm
by cape man
Bet his delivery is not any faster than mine! 8) 8) (That's a compliment, not a complaint...)

Like Fuzz...good to have someone else to razz!

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:25 pm
by seaslug
It's not fair! You have an unfair advantage, and I don't mean the CNC kit, or the unlimited supplies at you disposal, but the fact you don't have to search all over your garage and backyard junk pile to find enough cement blocks, old car batteries, rusty paint cans, and buckets of water to weigh down your panel glue ups......I'm also glad you live 200 miles south of my fishing grounds, because I've become accustomed to fishing my local flats all alone, and another FS18 sneaking up on me is just unacceptable.....Reid, make sure you post pictures of the CNC cut bow section, I'm curious to see how the panels look. I'm psyched you're finally able to get started. The sanding begins, all too soon my friend. Mike

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm
by Reid
Made some good headway on the FS18 this week. I want to give a big Thank You to Seaslug for the tips and advice he gave me before I started this project. His advise about making sure Station A was at the end of the strongback was a great suggestion. This build has already been an exercise in patience, and I haven't even got to fairing yet!!! You can see from the photos below that I initially stitched from the transom forward and used some ratchet straps over Stations B and A to aid in shaping the bow strips. After I had the shape "roughed in" I started drilling all my additional stitch holes and used some small zip ties in order to keep the holes small. One tip to pass on to future builders of this design is to make sure you have enough space between the bow strips to allow the pieces to come together. As I began to stitch the strips into place I had to trim the strips with my utility knife to keep them from binding. I also sanded the ends of the hull panels and strips where they meet up at the bow. I gave them a kind of miter cut in order to facilitate a nicer fit.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm
by cape man
Too cool! Love the porcupine look!

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm
by jacquesmm
Very smooth Reid.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:16 pm
by Eric1
cape man wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm Too cool! Love the porcupine look!
Stole the words out of my mouth!! :lol:

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:28 pm
by Reid
cape man wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm Too cool! Love the porcupine look!
I agree, I think that may cause a drag problem on the water though! :wink:

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 pm
by fishgitr
It's looking good Reid!

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 pm
by seaslug
You did a great job on the stitching, so you're off to a good start. You should brace the legs on the strong back. I would run long 2x4's along the bottom tying the legs together, as well as port to starboard, than some diagonal bracing. The hull doesn't weigh anything now, but believe me, when you get further along, 250-350 pounds is more than you think and will wrack the hell out of a poorly braced platform, especially if you're going to be rolling it around. Mike

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm
by Reid
seaslug wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 pm You did a great job on the stitching, so you're off to a good start. You should brace the legs on the strong back. I would run long 2x4's along the bottom tying the legs together, as well as port to starboard, than some diagonal bracing. The hull doesn't weigh anything now, but believe me, when you get further along, 250-350 pounds is more than you think and will wrack the hell out of a poorly braced platform, especially if you're going to be rolling it around. Mike
Mike,
I thought about bracing the legs when I added them on to the strongback. This was an old strongback that Jacques had lying around the shop. I just happened to work perfectly for this build and I added legs to it. I just got done with the masking tape on the inside hull and not having braces in way made it easier to get under there. I think I will brace the legs once the outside of the hull is completed and we are ready to flip. Thanks again!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:47 pm
by Dutch1
Looking good Reid!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm
by Reid
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback!!!
Today I finished up the epoxy glue welds in between the zip ties. Next I will cut out the zip ties and finish off the fillets. I will have a little work to do on the chine and bow tip to get that nice and smooth and ready for glass. I will also be working to bow tip to add a flat spot for my bow eye. All of my fillets will be quarter rounded in order for the glass to lay down without any air pockets. Once the glassing is done I will go back in with fairing compound and make the edges sharp again.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:51 pm
by TomW1
http://i.imgur.com/rgAXqIm.jpg?1 A porcupine!

Really good work!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:10 pm
by Eric1
Looks great Reid! 8)

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:58 pm
by Reid
Today I was able to get the seams completely filled with fillets. Prior to filling in the gaps where the zip ties were, I did some sanding. I did a little quarter round sanding where the bottom panels and the side panels meet towards the transom so I can ensure a good quarter round when tape and cloth get laid down. I also did some sanding on the rounded chine in order to give the chine a nice smooth round transition for when cloth goes on. I figure that the more work I put into getting the shape right now, the more work I will save myself later when it comes to fairing. I mixed up more wood flour and MarinEpoxy and filled the rest of the gaps. I also used it as kind of a "Bondo" for making the rounded chine nice and smooth. Once this sets up I will come back with my sander (60 grit) and sand out any imperfections. Very close to getting some tape down on the seams!!!

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm
by Eric1
Nice work Reid! 8)

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 pm
by Dutch1
Looks great man! You are flying!

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm
by fishgitr
Looking good Reid! How did you tape under the bow part so that excess PB wouldn't fall through? (Since there are so many crevices)

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:22 pm
by seaslug
You're doing a great job so far, and looks a lot better than mine did at this stage. The CNC cut bow section went together a lot better than mine, and from looking at the earlier pictures I could see with the CNC kit the gaps between the long strips are a lot wider than what mine were cutting with a jigsaw. The jig saw blade doesn't create a wide enough kerf, so I really struggled with the entire bow with the strips binding against each other, and having to do a lot of trimming with a multi tool and jig saw as I tightened the zip ties. It required a lot more fairing than yours will need. Nice job. Mike

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:11 pm
by willg
Really nice!

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm
by poleposition
Could someone give a brief summary of how you create the rounded chine for idiots like me? Im guessing you round the edge of the frame closest to the bow and then cut strips from the bottom and side panels....... ( ??? )

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:57 pm
by Reid
poleposition wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm Could someone give a brief summary of how you create the rounded chine for idiots like me? Im guessing you round the edge of the frame closest to the bow and then cut strips from the bottom and side panels....... ( ??? )
Poleposition,

Being in the middle of building the FS18 "round chine" option, I will tell you the differences between this version and the hard chine.
Starting with the frames: Frames A and B (the two frames closest to the bow) are cut slightly different than the hard chine option. The "chine" edge of each frame has a radius cut instead of a hard edge. The picture below shows this.

As far as the hull panels are concerned, there are slits cut into both the bottom hull panels and the side hull panels. On the FS18, these cuts begin around Station/Frame C (third station back from the bow). As you can see from the picture below the number of slits increases as you get closer to the bow in order to accommodate for the increased curve as you near the bow. One thing to note, when you are making a rounded chine you need to remove some of the material in between the slits. We made our cuts with a 1/4" router bit on our CNC machine. If you don't remove some of the material the slits won't come together around the rounded frames.

I hope this helps!!
-Reid

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:44 pm
by poleposition
^
Many thanks, Reid---that was the info I was looking for. I meant to add in the previous post that the boat looks great and am looking forward to following your build till completion.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 pm
by Reid
Thank you, Poleposition!!! This is definitely a fun project and can't wait till I get to splash her!!

-Reid

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:38 pm
by seaslug
Hey Reid, I know we've talked about the chine cuts in the plywood, but until now I wasn't aware that you guys cut the slits with a 1/4" router bit. For the builders that do not purchase the CNC cut kit, it would be very helpful to include in the plans a notation to cut the strips with a wide gap. I had an awful time shaping the bow section because I used a thin kerfed jig saw blade for the cuts. It was the hardest part of the build, and looking at your pictures I can see how nicely yours came together. If I had known beforehand, I would have avoided about 20 hours of extra work. Mike

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:19 pm
by Jeff
SeaSlug, really good point!! I will ensure we add that that input to the building notes!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm
by Reid
fishgitr wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm Looking good Reid! How did you tape under the bow part so that excess PB wouldn't fall through? (Since there are so many crevices)
Fishgitr,
Thanks!
I just used some 3M painters tape and crawled under the bow. I had built the strongback approx 2' off of the ground for the ease of working under it. These were all great suggestions that I got from Seaslug.
-Reid

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 pm
by Reid
seaslug wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:38 pm Hey Reid, I know we've talked about the chine cuts in the plywood, but until now I wasn't aware that you guys cut the slits with a 1/4" router bit. For the builders that do not purchase the CNC cut kit, it would be very helpful to include in the plans a notation to cut the strips with a wide gap. I had an awful time shaping the bow section because I used a thin kerfed jig saw blade for the cuts. It was the hardest part of the build, and looking at your pictures I can see how nicely yours came together. If I had known beforehand, I would have avoided about 20 hours of extra work. Mike
Seaslug,

If it makes you feel any better, when we cut the chine cuts with the CNC we had the machine set to only cut 2/3 of the way thru (for packing/shipping purposes) and finished the cut with small had saw. This meant that when I realized that I needed the full 1/4" width removed in order to make it come together I had to shave each strip with my utility knife. (pretty sure this is how carpel tunnel begins). But definitely good suggestions for the building notes. Talk to you soon!
-Reid

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm
by jacquesmm
seaslug wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:38 pm Hey Reid, I know we've talked about the chine cuts in the plywood, but until now I wasn't aware that you guys cut the slits with a 1/4" router bit. For the builders that do not purchase the CNC cut kit, it would be very helpful to include in the plans a notation to cut the strips with a wide gap. I had an awful time shaping the bow section because I used a thin kerfed jig saw blade for the cuts. It was the hardest part of the build, and looking at your pictures I can see how nicely yours came together. If I had known beforehand, I would have avoided about 20 hours of extra work. Mike
Yes, we need that note.
The length of the edge of a station on the rounded chine is shorter than the length of the hard chine version. In other words, that curve is shorter than the two straight line by 1 or 2" depending on how close to the bow you are.
With the CNC machine, that is taken care off automatically by 6 to 8 cuts of a 1/4" wide but when cutting with a jig saw, the station curve is too long.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am
by bajabugs
Can you bolt 2 circular saw blades together to make that cut?, maybe an arbor spacers required ? just a thought...

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:37 am
by Reid
bajabugs wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am Can you bolt 2 circular saw blades together to make that cut?, maybe an arbor spacers required ? just a thought...
Bajabugs,
The issue with putting two circular saw blades together is that the cuts aren't straight. You would be better off taking it really slow with a router or with a jig saw. A fine blade hand saw would work well also.

Reid

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:58 am
by Reid
Getting the boat ready for glass finally!! We will be having a short break from the 85+ degree temps. this weekend, going to dip down to the mid 60's on Saturday morning!!! (Don't say anything FUZZ!!!) I have the 12 oz., 6" biax tape cut for the keel (2 strips overlapping by a few inches.), the chines, and the transom. I have cut the 12 oz. biax fiberglass as well. All the tape and cloth will be rolled up on individual tubes to facilitate in the lay up. The plan is to do everything wet on wet with the last layer being a layer of fairing compound. I have also made a skeg for the keel. It is made from a polyurethane foam that has great compression strength (not sure exactly what it is, it was a sample that we had laying around the shop). It is 1.5" wide, 3/4" tall, and 4' long. I will put it about 18" from the transom so that it won't interfere with the prop and cause any cavitation.
Enjoy the pics, hopefully the next post on Monday will be with the hull fully glassed!

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:58 pm
by Fuzz
Is it ok to tell you it is looking really good :doh:

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm
by Reid
Fuzz wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 12:58 pm Is it ok to tell you it is looking really good :doh:
Absolutely!!! I will take that compliment. I just figured I was setting myself up for a comment on how weak us south Floridians are when it comes to the cold weather. :D

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:56 pm
by tcason
sad to see your results - first I have seen that happen

looks like KIWI wants you to prep with 100 grit............

see link
http://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/applyingkiwigrip.html

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:42 pm
by Fuzz
Reid wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm Absolutely!!! I will take that compliment. I just figured I was setting myself up for a comment on how weak us south Floridians are when it comes to the cold weather. :D
Not me :D Heck if it was 85f I would be laying in front of an air conditioner begging for mercy :lol:

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:31 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Reid,
Nice looking cuts on the glass :D You have a great plan for the layup!
I'd snag a helper if you have one available. Also, pizza and beer make a great finish to big layup job :wink:

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:54 pm
by Browndog
Looking good!

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:16 pm
by Aripeka Angler
bajabugs wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am Can you bolt 2 circular saw blades together to make that cut?, maybe an arbor spacers required ? just a thought...

Actually, this will work if you follow a couple of important steps.
1) Make sure that the arbor or arbor sleeve is big enough to safely accept two blades and a spacer.
2) Stagger the teeth on the blades so that they are not damaged when you tighten up the arbor nut or bolt.
3) Set the saw depth so that the blade only cuts through the ply by a 1/4" or so. This is important, if you set the depth correctly you can almost cut circles with a circular saw. The thinner the ply, the easier it is to cut arcs and curves with a circular saw.
4) If you can put a smaller diameter blade set on your saw, you can even cut a tighter curve or arc. Example, 6" blades on a
7-1/4" saw.
What you describe is basically a textbook dado blade setup. We use this method in our shop mostly with stationary equipment but we do occasionally put two blades on a circular saw. It's actually safer than trying to freehand a curve with a high speed router.
To do a safe, proper job of cutting a curve with a router- you really need to be using a jig of the shape you are cutting and a router base template guide.
I'm not a big fan of jig saws, they tend to do more harm than good.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:12 pm
by seaslug
If I had known prior to cutting the bow section on my FS18 that a wider cut was nessecary I would have definitely used the stacked blade technique with a circular saw as opposed to a jig saw. That being said, a jig saw is one my favorite and most utilized power tools, but if you're going to own a jig saw, buy the best. The Bosch is absolutely one of the finest tools ever built, and I've been using mine commercially for over 17 years, and it runs as good as the day I bought it. They run as smooth as a sewing machine, are variable speed, and vibration free.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Mike, I'm not trying to discount the value of a jigsaw. We have more than a half dozen of them which include Bosch, Porter Cable and Dewalt.
We use them every almost every day in our business. Mostly hacking oval sink holes in plastic laminate vanity countertops.
They do tend to be more destructive than a router or a circular saw when cross cutting a slot in plywood.
All of these tips are relative I suppose, we all have to figure out what works the best for us :D

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:11 am
by stickystuff
I thought I new about this trick. ???Never even conceived of the idea to use two or more stacked blades on a skill saw. I have cut circles on a table saw by using a jig to hold the center part of the radius. Then adjust the height of the blade as you spin the plywood around.
I cut inside radius on some high density foam on a table saw when I made 3" inside radius when making tunnel forms on XF @0 and PH 15.Make an angle guide at a 45 deg. Use it like the fence. Take the main fence off. You have to play with the angle until it falls center of the piece. I used 4" widw foam and cut it at a 45 deg all the way through. 3 ft. long piece. Do this first on reg straight cut. Now remove the fence and set up your aangle fence. Set your saw depth to zero. Raise the blade up 1/4 " and push the flat part of the angle through just enough so you can adjust the fence where the piece is centered. Now you want to do two pieces at a time . run first one through at this depth then run the second one through. Crank your blade up another 1/2". Run your pieces through again. Crank up blade another 1/2" do this every time until your radius hits the outside edges of the angle piece of foam. Do this slowly and make shure all fingers are clear. make your self a push stick out of some scrapWhen you build your tunnel mold then lay in the radius angle pieces and you will have a perfect round tunnel. You will have to make some compound cuts to make rad. parts blend in with the start of the tubbel. Some place in the archives when I built the PH 15 ther are some pictures. Lots of fun to do but go slow and be careful . Do not raise the blade to high. Just a little each time as you go deeper in the radius cuts. :doh:

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:11 am
by Jeff
StickStuff, nice to hear from you!! Hope you and the wife are well!! Jeff

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:22 am
by Reid
Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 5:31 pm Reid,
Nice looking cuts on the glass :D You have a great plan for the layup!
I'd snag a helper if you have one available. Also, pizza and beer make a great finish to big layup job :wink:
AA,

Thanks! As far as help goes, I am bringing my dad out of retirement for the layup. I'm sure there will be a beer or 6 involved along the way! (After the work is done of course :D )

Reid

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 am
by gonandkarl
Hi,
I follow this build all the time not only to see how easy it is to build from a kit but also because of the tips being mentioned. I have a question for my build which fits in here well because it is straight sheer and chine or round sheer and chine ? My problem is I am at the fairing and sanding of my Adelie 14 and I do not know if I should try for a sharp edge at the sheer and chine or a little bit round like a radius chamfer. Sofar I am battling with a sharp edge having to always put fairing on again and then sanding. I think a small chamfer would maybe easier to achieve with a hand sanding block.
I am sure one of you experts can help me.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:41 am
by Fuzz
Hey Karl,
You only need sharp chines for a planing hull. For your boat I would make my life easy and round them over.

And Reid it is about time for an update don't you think :lol:

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:32 pm
by BB Sig
Fuzz wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:41 am And Reid it is about time for an update don't you think :lol:
I think he is too busy catching big fish to worry about a little boat... :wink:

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 pm
by Fuzz
Best boat ever made is one your buddy owns. The nicer the boat the better the buddy :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:52 pm
by Reid
Been a little while since I posted last but wanted to give you a brief update on the FS18 progress. I am just about done with the first round of block sanding with 80 grit. I have gone with Eric1's suggestion and used the Dura-Blocks for the job. They work awesome! They really do a nice job of showing every low area and come in a variety of shapes and thicknesses making it easy to find the right Dura-Block for different sections of the hull. Next, I am going to come back and fill the low areas with more Quick Fair and then block it again. After the next round I hope to be ready for primer.

Here are some pics:

Improvised A/C: Jeff didn't want to install an A/C unit for the shop (and I don't blame him) so I had to improvise. It actually worked pretty well.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:18 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Reid, the boat looks great! :D
I may have to pirate your ac design :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:31 pm
by Reid
Richard,

Thanks!
There is another A/C design that calls for a 5 gallon bucket, here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

Reid

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:37 pm
by Eric1
You are kicking butt Reid! Stay Cool!! 8)

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:31 am
by Reid
Hey Guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have started making a little more progress on the FS18. I did a little more fairing with Quick Fair on the transom, bow and keel. I think I have it pretty dialed in and ready for a first coat of primer.
Next, I glued my skeg down with some thickened MarinEpoxy (Silica and Milled Fiber). My plan is to graphite the skeg only and prime/paint the rest of the hull. I also used this same mixture to sharpen up the bottom of the transom and the edge where the bottom hull panels meet the hull sides. I will do a little sanding on the edges to clean them up and then fair them as well.
The last couple of photos are of the Rub Rail that I cut from some Okoume Marine Plywood. I definitely used my tools to my advantage for this process. I had our CNC engineer create a cut file for the rub rail using the same sheer line as the FS18 CNC kit. This would ensure that the rub rail would match up perfectly with the sheer line of the hull. The rub rail is 2 layers of 6mm Okoume with the seams offset. (very similar to how the stringers are constructed) I did a simple dry fit first but will take them off and glue the layers together and then glue them to the hull. I will eventually install the black Tessilmare Rub Rail kit on the completed boat.
Talk to you soon,
-Reid

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am
by Fair WX Pilot
It looks fantastic Reid, I am very envious that you have a local CNC Engineer to just whip you up parts on request!

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:18 am
by Jaysen
Looks great!

I kind of feel like he's cheating. But that's mostly because I don't have my own CNC let alone a CNC guy.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:24 am
by cape man
Bet he gets a discount on supplies also!

Looking good Reid. About time you got back on it! :lol: :lol: 8)

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm
by Capt UB
Not fair.....

You need to build just one boat outside or at lest in an open carport!!!

And you have to wait 20 hours before you can take anything of the shelves that you ran out of!

Thought this was a new thread.... Still.....

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm
by Jaysen
And he should have to work with the CNC miscutting things with a 1/2” variability.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm
by Capt UB
Jaysen wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm And he should have to work with the CNC miscutting things with a 1/2” variability.

My next boat, I want to see what is being cut out (on paper).
I wish I had on this FS14 build.
The aft deck hatch cutout is way too big for what I want to do.
And the fore deck opening I did not need cut. But all is good.
She is looking better each week.
I do like the FS18, just too big for my carport!
Maybe, something in the 16 foot range next year.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 pm
by Eric1
Good work Reid!

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am
by pee wee
I was surprised to see how many pieces it took to do the rub rail. Two sides, two layers, but still . . . and counterintuitive that a straight sheer boat requires curved cuts for the rub rail pieces!

Why did you decide to laminate the pieces off the boat first, seems like you will fight to bend them more?

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am
by Reid
pee wee wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am I was surprised to see how many pieces it took to do the rub rail. Two sides, two layers, but still . . . and counterintuitive that a straight sheer boat requires curved cuts for the rub rail pieces!

Why did you decide to laminate the pieces off the boat first, seems like you will fight to bend them more?
Hank,

With the boat being 18' in length and the plywood being 8' in length it had to be done with two layers (first layer being 3 pieces and the second layer being 4 pieces). By doing this I avoid any flat spots and get a true/consistent curve in the rub rail. Also, even though this is the "Straight Sheer" FS18, there is still some slight camber. If I were to use straight cut pieces then I would have had to possibly fill some gaps once the rail was installed. Seaslug had this issue when he put the Maple rub rail on his FS14_LS. With the pieces only being 6mm and cut from Okoume, I won't have any issue bending the rub rail once the two layers are glued up. I would rather have the rub rail be on the stiffer side anyway so it helps hold the hull shape.

Reid

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 am
by Jaysen
Reid wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am I would rather have the rub rail be on the stiffer side anyway so it helps hold the hull shape.
This. I wish I knew this. I did a 3 layer glue up "in place" and while she is stiffer than just the 1/4" hull, you can still see the sides flex when pressed (or hit by dock piling)(or hit by oysters)(or hit by beach rollers)(or hit by my head). I think the glue up off hull for a thin rail is a great idea.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 pm
by Capt UB
Jaysen wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 am
Reid wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am I would rather have the rub rail be on the stiffer side anyway so it helps hold the hull shape.
This. I wish I knew this. I did a 3 layer glue up "in place" and while she is stiffer than just the 1/4" hull, you can still see the sides flex when pressed (or hit by dock piling)(or hit by oysters)(or hit by beach rollers)(or hit by my head). I think the glue up off hull for a thin rail is a great idea.

I found .25" x 1.50" x 16' pine lattice, did one layer at a time, total of 3 layers. The back (aft section) on one side did not bend well, kinda flat... I thought too many spring clamps? I thought is would be best if I use long pieces instead of small pieces... Live and learn!

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 pm
by Jaysen
Not too sure "too many clamps" would do that as much as an uneven grain in one of the layers. I used 3 layers of .25 starting ripped form 8' ply. 8+4.25, 6.125+6.125, 4.25+8 if I recall the dimensions. I ran into flats with some strips not bending but found that putting them on the other side or flipping them over made everything happier. If I were to do it again I would cut the strips curved, then lam them off the hull. I would intentionally over arch to create tension and add stiffness. Id also consider steaming some real wood too. Just seems like the "right thing" but is just more work than I'm likely to sign up for.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:15 pm
by TomW1
Reid, where are the pictures, you of all people should know we want pictures. :D

Tom

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:51 pm
by Capt UB
Jaysen wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 pm Not too sure "too many clamps" would do that as much as an uneven grain in one of the layers. I used 3 layers of .25 starting ripped form 8' ply. 8+4.25, 6.125+6.125, 4.25+8 if I recall the dimensions. I ran into flats with some strips not bending but found that putting them on the other side or flipping them over made everything happier. If I were to do it again I would cut the strips curved, then lam them off the hull. I would intentionally over arch to create tension and add stiffness. Id also consider steaming some real wood too. Just seems like the "right thing" but is just more work than I'm likely to sign up for.

Wrap towels around the wood you want to bend and pour boiling water on the towels. It's hot!! Keep the hot water going until you feel the board bend easily.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 am
by topwater
That's pretty much the way i did it only i didn't have a cnc machine. I just laid my side panels on some 3/8 ply
and traced it then cut it out with a saw. When i was ready to install i clamped the rub rail in position drilled
some alignment holes and put in some dowel pins to hold everything to keep from sliding around on the glue.
Did both layers both side in one shot.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:04 am
by Aripeka Angler
Reid, your boat is looking nice.
Great idea with the curved rubrail strips. I would laminate the strips together on the hull unless you have a curved form.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:56 am
by Reid
TomW1 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:15 pm Reid, where are the pictures, you of all people should know we want pictures. :D

Tom
Tom, they are on page 6 of the thread. More to come as I put the rubrail on and start the priming process.

Reid

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:20 am
by Eric1
Reid, Man that is looking good. Sorry I have not posted Friend, I just have a lot on my mind these days.
I look forward to more pictures when you get the time.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 am
by Reid
topwater wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 am That's pretty much the way i did it only i didn't have a cnc machine. I just laid my side panels on some 3/8 ply
and traced it then cut it out with a saw. When i was ready to install i clamped the rub rail in position drilled
some alignment holes and put in some dowel pins to hold everything to keep from sliding around on the glue.
Topwater,

I have instructed several builders to do just as you say! If you trace the sheer line for the rub rails before you hang your hull panels you will save a lot of time and headache later.

Reid

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:57 am
by Jaysen
Reid wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 am
topwater wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 am That's pretty much the way i did it only i didn't have a cnc machine. I just laid my side panels on some 3/8 ply
Topwater,

I have instructed several builders to do just as you say! If you trace the sheer line for the rub rails before you hang your hull panels you will save a lot of time and headache later.

Reid
The ONLY caveat with this is that you will need to extend the cuts PAST the length of the side panel as the rub rails are actually longer than the top of the side panel by a couple of inches. Not a hard thing to do, but something that needs to be said.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 pm
by glossieblack
Reid, Just catching up on your build. Very nice. :D

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:36 pm
by Dutch1
Looking good Reid!

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:44 pm
by Reid
Hey all,

I got a few things accomplished in the today. I was able to work on sharpening up my rails in the back half of the hull and the bottom edge of the transom. I coated the skeg with a layer of epoxy and also ran a bead along the edges to create a small radius. Eventually I will graphite the entire skeg. Lastly, I did a little dry fitting of the rubrail. I trimmed the bow edges to match the angle of the bow and did the same with the transom edges. Next up I will clean up the rubrails and get them ready to install. I will also sand the chine and transom edges so they will be ready to prime. Shouldn't be too much longer before primer goes on!!! I can't wait to flip this thing!!!
Have a good weekend everyone!
-Reid

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 am
by Dutch1
Looking good Reid!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 am
by Capt UB
Reid, she is looking great.

I saw the skeg, just wanted to know what it's made of?

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:02 pm
by Reid
Capt UB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 am Reid, she is looking great.

I saw the skeg, just wanted to know what it's made of?
Capt UB,
The skeg is a very high density foam. I couldn't even tell you what kind or manufacturer. We had this piece sitting around the shop and I thought it might work well. Turns out it did!

Reid

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:10 pm
by Reid
Sanded the rails that I sharpened up the other day. They came out really nice!!! I have to be careful now when I walk around the hull that I don't cut myself! :wink:
The photo is from the transom looking towards the bow on the starboard side. I did this on the transom edge and then up approx. 7 feet on each side.
-Reid

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:12 pm
by Eric1
Reid, That looks nice! I would knock the edge off a little bit though.
I did on mine for two reasons. One, They paint better and two, I was concerned with cutting my line when a fish goes under the boat. :)

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:18 pm
by TomW1
Reid agree with Eric. Those sharp edges will not hold paint, round them over a little.

Tom

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:32 pm
by fishgitr
What did you use to build it up with? Fairing or peanut butter?

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 pm
by Reid
Thank you for the feedback guys! I will knock those edges down a little. Never thought of the fishing line issue, good call!!!

I used Quick Fair and then came back over it with some MarinEpoxy thickened with Silica.

-Reid

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:49 am
by fishgitr
Reid wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 pm Thank you for the feedback guys! I will knock those edges down a little. Never thought of the fishing line issue, good call!!!

I used Quick Fair and then came back over it with some MarinEpoxy thickened with Silica.

-Reid
The experts may weigh in on this, but I used blended filler and epoxy on my first build to build up the edges. when I flipped it over after paint, one of the edges kind of crushed in when I set it down on a piece of wood. On my second build I used wood flour and epoxy. It was much better in my opinion. I rub the edge on oyster bars all the time with no issues.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 am
by topwater
Silica would have been even harder than wood flour . harder and smoother.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:50 am
by pee wee
I'm not sure the functional difference between the two, but chopped strand glass or milled glass would work well. Anybody familiar with both products?

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:01 pm
by TomW1
Hank I have used both. The strands when mixed with epoxy is called liquid fiberglass as it forms a lattice of those bound together strands and is very strong. Milled glass is very small chopped strands and can be used in place of cabosil. It is stronger than a cabosil mix. You still need some cabosil to keep both forms from drooping.

Tom

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:02 pm
by pee wee
Thanks for the explanation, Tom. From what you've said, I think I'd use the chopped strand to build my reverse chines, maybe throw some wood flour in there, too!

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:08 pm
by Fuzz
I built some strakes that way and they worked out good.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 pm
by Reid
Hey Everyone,

Well I finally got the first coat of Primer on the FS18. I used the System Three Yacht Primer rolled on with the EMC 1/8" mohair rollers and tipped with a Corona Europa 2" brush. I worked in small areas (1' x 2') and tipped each section before I went to the next. I am really happy with the results! I will spray a guide coat and block it out one more time, filling in with Quick Fair as I go. Once the second coat of primer goes on it is time for paint, finally!!!!
-Reid

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 pm
by Lurker4567
Looking good.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:22 pm
by Browndog
Nice!

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 pm
by Fuzz
Bet you are going to be glad to flip that puppy and look at something else for a change :D

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 am
by Fair WX Pilot
Looks great.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:28 am
by Reid
Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 pm Bet you are going to be glad to flip that puppy and look at something else for a change :D
I can't wait!!!

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:22 pm
by Dutch1
Looks great Reid!

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:33 pm
by peter-curacao
Reid wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 pm Image
O wow! that looks beautiful 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:35 pm
by Reid
Thanks Peter!

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:57 pm
by Dutch1
Reid,
What's the latest on your build?

Steve

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 am
by Capt UB
Reid wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm Thank you everyone for the positive feedback!!!
Today I finished up the epoxy glue welds in between the zip ties. Next I will cut out the zip ties and finish off the fillets. I will have a little work to do on the chine and bow tip to get that nice and smooth and ready for glass. I will also be working to bow tip to add a flat spot for my bow eye. All of my fillets will be quarter rounded in order for the glass to lay down without any air pockets. Once the glassing is done I will go back in with fairing compound and make the edges sharp again.

Reid,

Did you use any spacers (nails..) between the slats on the round chime?
Did you use PVC tubing on the other side?

Bob.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:48 pm
by Reid
Dutch1 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:57 pm Reid,
What's the latest on your build?

Steve
Steve,

Sorry to say that I haven't done much on the build lately. Jeff and I have been busy working on our new building and the upcoming move as well as the upgrades for the website. My wife and I also added a new addition to our family in April, a baby boy named Reilly. Needless to say, pretty much all of my free time goes to him! I am hoping to get back on the FS18 as soon as we move. Once the trailer that I ordered is done I will flip the boat onto it and get started on the interior. We are hoping to move into our new location by the end of September. (fingers crossed!)

-Reid

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:00 pm
by Reid
Capt UB wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 am
Reid wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm Thank you everyone for the positive feedback!!!

Reid,

Did you use any spacers (nails..) between the slats on the round chime?
Did you use PVC tubing on the other side?

Bob.
Bob,

Behind the slits in the round chine I actually used pieces of a no. 2 pencil that I cut up. The PVC pipe was too large for this area. I didn't need any spacers for this section. I was able to systematically tighten and loosen those zip ties in order to keep the spacing consistent.
Reid

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:54 am
by Fuzz
Good looking kid and a full head of hair :wink:

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:27 pm
by Dutch1
Reid,
That is awesome! Congrats! It doesn't seem like it at first but dang they grow too fast!

The boat will be there when you can get back at it. Believe me, I know...

Steve

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 pm
by Eric1
Great looking Boy Reid! Time with the young'uns is the most precious time there is.
All to soon he will be a man.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:42 pm
by OrangeQuest
Cute little boy!! I can remember when my little girl was that size. 34 years later still seems like yesterday. Moments turn into days, then weeks and then years. Make the most of them.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:56 am
by Reid
Hey Everyone,

The new Float-On Trailer has arrived!!! It is really nice. Below are a few photos. Next step is to flip the FS18 on to the trailer and then take the trailer over to Float-On so they can fit it with side bunks instead of guide poles. They prefer to fit the side bunks once the boat is on the trailer to ensure a good fit and hull clearance. Really happy with the trailer and especially the customer service!!!

-Reid

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:11 am
by Eric1
SEXY! :D

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 am
by OrangeQuest
Very clean looking.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:49 pm
by seaslug
Hey Reid, That trailer looks great. I hope you're able to have the side bunks, but they'll need to be so far forward at the widest part of the boat for them to be of use keeping the boat centered and secured. You'll also need a rear roller so you can dry launch and load, without getting the rims wet. It helps to have the bunks a little lower in the rear so it comes off and on easier. That's one of the great things about having a light weight flat bottomed skiff, launch anywhere without dunking the trailer.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:22 am
by Reid
Seaslug,

Thanks for the tips!
As soon as I get the boat flipped onto the trailer I am going to head over to Float-On so they can measure and install the side bunks. The president of the company delivered the trailer and we spoke about the installation of side bunks. He took some measurements and told me that it was definitely doable but they would need the boat on the trailer to get them set accurately.

I do like the suggestion about the rear roller. I will ask them about that.

Thanks!
Reid

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:23 pm
by Capt UB
No welds, just nuts and bolts?

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:17 pm
by Reid
Well Jeff and I got the boat flipped and on the trailer. I will be taking it over to our new shop location and get going on the inside. Here are a few shots of the hull sitting right side up. I cut some temporary supports to hold the hull shape until I can get the stringers and frames installed.
-Reid

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:27 pm
by Fuzz
Boat is looking very good Reid. As good as the boat looks I got to admit what I see on the shelves behind it causes me a sinful amount of lust :roll:

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:31 am
by OrangeQuest
Really like the way the chines transitions to the sides. Who says you can't do sexy curves with plywood? Excited you got the boat flipped and are ready to start back on it, soon.

Looking good,
OQ

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:49 am
by Capt UB
So that's what the Round Chine looks like inside on a standard hull. That's a great shot showing the slits for the round chine.
The LM18 I'm starting is the low sheer with the round chine.. so the hull would be 5" shorter! Hopefully my inside will look just as nice.

Nice job. That trailer does look nice too. Saving up for one like yours or something close.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:41 am
by pee wee
Reid wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:17 pm I will be taking it over to our new shop location and get going on the inside.
Where is the new location? I gather that it's going to be a good bit farther south than Vero Beach . .

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 pm
by Jeff
Pee Wee, we are moving to 7485 Commercial Circle, Fort Pierce, FL 34951 just as soon as our final permit is approved and the buildout is completed. I now anticipate moving in December!! It is only about 20 minutes south of our current location but the new shop will be about 1.5 miles off I-95 and 3 miles from the Florida Turnpike entrance/exit! Much easier drive to get to us!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:29 pm
by Capt UB

Reid,

Just (refound) found this post, great help. I thought about the straps around station A and B, but did not see anybody doing it (I think). Going to reread Seasugs post.

Bob.

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:22 pm
by fallguy1000
Post an update please!

Come on man!

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:23 am
by Jwhitakeriii
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:22 pm Post an update please!

Come on man!
YEAH!

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:09 am
by Reid
Yes I am aware that it has been a while since I have posted. Over the past few days I have made a little headway. I was able to get the inside of the hull filleted, taped, and glassed with 12oz biax. I ran my fillets and then came back with the 12 oz,6" tape, wet on wet. I always try and work wet on wet when it comes to fillets and taping. It just saves a TON of sanding and prep. The chines got one layer of tape and the keel and transom got two layers.
At the shop, we purchase our 12 oz by 50 yard roll, so often times we will have small pieces (1.5 - 3 yards) left over. I decided to use these on the inside of the hull. This is why the lamination job may look a little sloppy. There are actually 6 separate pieces of 12 oz. on the inside. I made sure to overlap the keel by 6" and also overlap the seams of each piece I applied.
Next I reinstalled my stringers and frames so that I could "spot weld" the stringers in place. I did this with really small fillets spaces about every 36". Once they set up I took out the frames and this is where I stand today. Next step is to run the complete fillets on the stringers and tape with 12 oz 6" biax.
Here are a couple of photos. I will post again once I make some more progress (so about a year from now! :wink: :wink: )
-Reid
FS18 stringers in 1 (2).jpg
FS18 stringers in 2 (2).jpg

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:34 am
by Capt UB
Looks great and good use of leftover fiberglass. I too used some leftover glass for the inside of the round chine bow, made me feel better, but may not have needed it.

Looking forward to see how you will finish the decking..

Bob

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:02 pm
by Eric1
Looking good brother!

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:25 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Very nice!

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:58 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Great tips on working the slits!

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 pm
by Reid
Hey Everyone,

I made a little headway on the FS18 today at the shop.
- I precut all of my 12 oz. biax fiberglass tape. I cut the tape to fit in between the frame sections. When the frames go in I will be able to tape all the gaps. I also labeled my pieces so I don't have to think about what piece goes where when I am on the clock with the epoxy.
Stringer Fillet (5).jpg
-Next, I rolled out some neat epoxy on the stringer sides and the hull, everywhere the tape will lay. The stringers were already coated days before but I roll out another thin layer and allow it to get tacky. This helps hold my tape in place while I wet it out.
- I then ran my fillets on the all the stringer and transom knee seams (everywhere they meet the hull). I used the "plastic piping bag" method. If you have never done this I recommend you try it. It saves a ton of time and there is very little epoxy waste. To do this simply mix your epoxy and woodflour as you normally would. Then pour/scoop the mix into a thick plastic bag. Squeeze all of the fillet mix into the corner of the bag and snip the corner with some scissors. Then just pretend you are working in the bakery and icing a cake! Run a small bead of fillet along each seam. Once you put the mix into the bag you have to be ready to go. If you wait the heat will build up and the mix will kick off really fast. Once all the seams have a nice bead of fillet on them go back with a piece of PVC pipe and shape a nice 1/4 round fillet.
Stringer Fillet (6).jpg
Stringer Fillet (3).jpg
Stringer Fillet (4).jpg
Stringer Fillet (1).jpg
Stringer Fillet (2).jpg
- As I have said previously, I always like to work wet-on-wet when it comes to taping. So I gave the fillets about 30 minutes to kick off and start to cure. While they were still pliable I started to lay up my fiberglass tape. I worked in small batches of epoxy (you can always mix more), wet out the tape with a 3" chip brush, and followed up with a 3" x 1/2" laminating roller to get any air bubbles out.
Stringer tape (2).jpg
Stringer tape (3).jpg
Stringer tape (4).jpg

I think the whole process took me about 4 hours of total work time. Not to bad! Next step is installing the frames.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:11 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Solid Pro-Tips! Just don't get the pastry pipe mixed up in the kitchen!

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:50 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Nice reid! Congrats on the progress.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:12 am
by Eric1
Good work and Tutorial! Build on!! 8)

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am
by pee wee
Good progress!

I don't know how significant it is, but don't the plans call for the tape between the hull and stringers to be run full length, rather than pieced? It may be just as good the way you've done it, I'm just not used to seeing it done this way.

Btw, it looks like you've got a nice shop! :)

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:12 am
by Eric1
pee wee wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am Good progress!

I don't know how significant it is, but don't the plans call for the tape between the hull and stringers to be run full length, rather than pieced? It may be just as good the way you've done it, I'm just not used to seeing it done this way.

I'm guessing he'll glass there when he installs the frames.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:52 am
by Reid
pee wee wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am Good progress!

Pee wee,

Eric1 is right. I left gaps in the tape to leave room for the frames. Those areas will be taped once the frames are in. If I were to have taped the entire length with one continuous piece then I would have had to shave the inside of my frame notches before installing the frames. You can certainly do it that way but I figured it would be easier to do the tape in pieces rather than shave the inside of notches that are only a hair over 3/8" wide. To each his own i guess. :wink:
-Reid

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:01 am
by Dutch1
I love using a gallon zip lock back for thickened epoxy. That's the only way I do it. It's like welding at that point. Just lay a nice bead. But, you have to work quickly and plan ahead to get everything ready before you mix.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:48 pm
by Reid
Got a little fancy today with the help of the CNC machine (and Crystal doing the programming). Since this boat will eventually be going to boat shows with Jeff and I, I wanted to add an extra touch. This is Frame B, it is the bulkhead that makes up the cockpit. I wanted to leave a little natural wood showing when she is finished. Next I will fill the lettering with a pigmented epoxy and leave a good portion of this frame as bright work. Just need to decide on a color scheme for the letters. I'm thinking black with some silver mixed in. Thoughts?
-Reid
FS18 logo (1).jpg
FS18 logo (2).jpg

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm
by Browndog
Nice touch! But you got to keep going and finish this bad boy. Keep in mind that you are building a demo boat and any time you spend on it is justified as work towards the company’s marketing efforts.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:56 am
by Eric1
Very Cool Reid!

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:44 am
by Reid
Browndog wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm Nice touch! But you got to keep going and finish this bad boy. Keep in mind that you are building a demo boat and any time you spend on it is justified as work towards the company’s marketing efforts.
Browndog,

I would love to spend all day, every day on the boat but customer jobs have to come first, got to pay the bills! Today I have to cut a GV11 CNC kit that was just purchased. When we have slow days I am able to work on the boat, but we want to keep the slow days to a minimum (I'm sure Jeff would agree also :wink: )
I will keep plugging away whenever I have free time!
-Reid

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 am
by Coach
Great idea!

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am
by Reid
Poured the tinted resin into the Flats Stalker logo. I used some blue, white, and a good amount of silver. The silver will show when it hits the sunlight. Next is a some sanding and a layer of clear epoxy. Once this is done, I can go forward with installing the frames.
-Reid
FS18 logo color.jpg

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:03 pm
by Eric1
That's dang nice Reid!

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm
by Reid
Eric1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:03 pm That's dang nice Reid!
Thanks Eric!

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:33 pm
by jacquesmm
How did you pour it? With a syringe?

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:10 pm
by Reid
Yes, I mixed in a cup and drew it up with a syringe. Made it very easy!

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 pm
by The Chironex
Awesome boat you got there! Looking great!

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:48 am
by glossieblack
Reid wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am Poured the tinted resin into the Flats Stalker logo. I used some blue, white, and a good amount of silver. The silver will show when it hits the sunlight. Next is a some sanding and a layer of clear epoxy. Once this is done, I can go forward with installing the frames.
-Reid
FS18 logo color.jpg
:D :D :D

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:08 am
by Dan_Smullen
Sweet!

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:29 pm
by ChaisnTails
Show off 😉👍🏼🤙🏼 I’ll bring a bulkhead hatch by and you can cut my logo into it!
Reid wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am Poured the tinted resin into the Flats Stalker logo. I used some blue, white, and a good amount of silver. The silver will show when it hits the sunlight. Next is a some sanding and a layer of clear epoxy. Once this is done, I can go forward with installing the frames.
-Reid
FS18 logo color.jpg

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:15 pm
by Reid
Made some progress this week. I was able to get all of the frames installed. First I tack welded them in with small fillets. I then used the piping bag technique again to lay out the rest of the fillet and then follow up with the 12 oz. biax tape, wet on wet. I also spent some time thinking about the chase tube layout. Next step will be to install the chase tubes and do some fairing on the inside while it is still wide open.
-Reid
Frames installed.jpg
Here is the diagram of what I am wanting to do with the chase tubes. Any thoughts or suggestions? (Yes, I know the drawing is not to scale :wink: )
FS18 Chase Tube Diagram.jpg

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:17 am
by Bogieman
Nice!

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:54 am
by Eric1
Looking good Buddy!

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:57 pm
by Reid
So I am definitely lacking when it comes to electrical knowledge so I will put this out there, hopefully you all can help.

Here is what I will be running on the FS18:
- Yamaha 25 HP 4 stroke w/ electric trim/tilt, electric start
- Power Pole Sportsman II, 4 foot, w/ 12 volt motor
- LED Bow and Stern Lights
- LED light strips under gunwhales
- USB Charge socket (total amp output is 4.2)
- Electric fuel gauge
- possibly a stereo and speakers

Will I need two batteries?
What size will I need for both?

Thanks,
Reid

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:11 pm
by Capt UB
Reid wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:57 pm So I am definitely lacking when it comes to electrical knowledge so I will put this out there, hopefully you all can help.

- Electric fuel gauge

Thanks,
Reid
Can you go with a Bluetooth speakers and use your cell phone for music? I have had no luck with the USB charge sockets, they get a bit of salt... LED is the way to go! I like AGM batteries, the duel purpose AGM batteries work great nowdays as house bank. Two batteries, to me is a must... I don't know about the power poles, I have a manual pole!

This is the fun time, get your lights in so you can leave them on at night in the driveway! So cool looking!!

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:00 pm
by cape man
Dump the stereo and speakers. It's a Flats Stalker! 8)

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:09 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Reid wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:57 pm So I am definitely lacking when it comes to electrical knowledge so I will put this out there, hopefully you all can help.

- Electric fuel gauge

Thanks,
Reid
Reid,
One group 24 battery is plenty for what you plan for your boat.
We run nearly as much electrical stuff as you are planning on our “Bare Bones” boat with a single small motorcycle battery.
Nav lights, jacplate, 2018 25 hp four stroke Yamaha with PTT, LED lights, etc.
The battery pan is totally isolated on our boat in the bow compartment in front of the fuel tank.
The weight balance is perfect with the fuel and battery in the bow.
I’ve seen several of these boats and this is the flattest running setup that I have observed, hands down.
I can’t brag enough about the weight balance with the fuel tank and battery in the bow.
Merry Christmas to y’all!

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 pm
by seaslug
When I was building my FS18 a friend that sells motorized wheel chairs gave me a used battery from a wheel chair trade in and it has not failed me in 3 and a half years, and without any charging other than from the 20 hp Merc. and mostly very short runs of a few miles at a time.

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:53 am
by Reid
CaptUB,

I will go with a bluetooth head unit. My brother just put one in his boat and it is nice.

Reid

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:05 am
by Reid
[/quote]

Reid,
One group 24 battery is plenty for what you plan for your boat.
We run nearly as much electrical stuff as you are planning on our “Bare Bones” boat with a single small motorcycle battery.
Nav lights, jacplate, 2018 25 hp four stroke Yamaha with PTT, LED lights, etc.
The battery pan is totally isolated on our boat in the bow compartment in front of the fuel tank.
The weight balance is perfect with the fuel and battery in the bow.
I’ve seen several of these boats and this is the flattest running setup that I have observed, hands down.
I can’t brag enough about the weight balance with the fuel tank and battery in the bow.
Merry Christmas to y’all!
[/quote]

Thanks AA! I am not set on the layout yet but I am only planning on putting one large hatch in the bow, between frames A and B. This is where the fuel tank will go and still have room for storage. I will put an access hatch cut into frame A in case I need to get up there but I don't plan on putting anything up there. I am trying to keep the layout really simple and clean. I want to put a casting platform on the bow and don't want any hatches under it. I do like the confirmation of having one battery though. This will help on weight. With the new Yamaha only weighing about 130 lbs and the power pole only weighing 22 lbs I will still be pretty light in the back. Going to have about an 8 gallon tank up front.

Reid

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:07 am
by Reid
cape man wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:00 pm Dump the stereo and speakers. It's a Flats Stalker! 8)
Capeman,

My little guy likes to dance so I need some tunes for him when we go to the sandbar!
-Reid

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 am
by Reid
seaslug wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 pm When I was building my FS18 a friend that sells motorized wheel chairs gave me a used battery from a wheel chair trade in and it has not failed me in 3 and a half years, and without any charging other than from the 20 hp Merc. and mostly very short runs of a few miles at a time.
Seaslug,

Somehow this does not surprise me that you bartered for a wheel chair battery! A scene from a Seinfeld episode comes to mind. :lol:
Reid

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:26 pm
by Capt UB
:lol:

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 pm
by Reid
Been trying to stay busy on the FS18. I have been able to get quite a few of the cleats installed in the cockpit area. I used some poplar and some old Okoume dimensional pieces we had lying around the shop. The cleats are glued with a woodflour/epoxy mix, same consistency as fillets. I also got the chase tubes run for the fuel line and the electric.
I also got an unexpected delivery today, the new Fuel Tank!!! We have started working with a new weld shop near us and they certainly did not disappoint. I simply gave them the dimensions of the tank and where I wanted the tank fill, fuel line to engine, and vent. EVERYTHING on the tank is aluminum. By making all the parts from aluminum this will eliminate any chance of corrosion due to Galvanic Corrosion. I also had the tank powder coated white. The tank dimensions are 23.5"(W) x 12" (L) x 8" (H), this gives me an approximate 9.5 gallon tank. The lead time for this tank was only 3 days.
We will be offering custom tanks on www.boatbuildercentral.com very soon, so contact me if you are interested.

Overall I am very excited on how the boat is coming together. The light at then end of the tunnel is definitely in sight!

-Reid
FS18 Cleats 1.jpg
FS18 Cleats 2.jpg
Fuel Tank 1.jpg
Fuel Tank 2.jpg

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:36 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Nice looking work!
The tank is sweet, with a 4 stroke 25 Yamaha you’ll get 100 plus miles of range.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 am
by seaslug
Hey Reid, That looks like a great tank, can you give me a ballpark price on that size tank, we'll be needing a tank soon for Scott's Conchfish build and I can't find any good deals. We're wanting a tank around 8 gallons. Good to see you're finding some time to work on the boat. Mike

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:47 am
by Reid
seaslug wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 am Hey Reid, That looks like a great tank, can you give me a ballpark price on that size tank, we'll be needing a tank soon for Scott's Conchfish build and I can't find any good deals. We're wanting a tank around 8 gallons. Good to see you're finding some time to work on the boat. Mike
Seaslug,

I am not sure on the exact price yet. I can tell you that when TJ, our new welder, came out to the shop we showed him the tank on the FS14_LS. Based on that tank the price would be in the $250.00 range. I will reach out as soon as I have a better answer for you.

If you want, email me with your tank dimensions, location of fill, vent, etc., and if you want it powder coated or not. I can get a more accurate quote for you.

-Reid

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am
by Eric1
Looking good Reid!

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm
by cape man
Nice tank! 'Bout time you got back to spending some time on the build! 8) 8)

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:57 pm
by Bogieman
Very nice!

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:29 pm
by Reid
I got started on the remainder of the cleats in the cockpit and the fuel tank area (between frames A and B). I decided to cut 8" pieces of poplar 1"x2" for the cleats that will line the inside of the hull and support the outer edges of the sole. I cut the tops of the cleats at the same angle as the hull sides so my sole will sit flush on the cleats. As you can see from the photos I decided to use some 1"x2" pieces to hold the cleats in place since the clamps obviously will not reach that far.
I used woodflour and epoxy as my glue for the cleats, spreading it on the glue with a notched spreader. Just need to do the other side and I can work on foam and installing the sole.

-Reid
FS18 cleats 4.jpg
FS18 cleats1.jpg
FS18 cleats2.jpg
FS18 cleats 3.jpg

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:49 am
by Eric1
Looking good! :D

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm
by toadfish
Looks great Reid! Your progress is super helpful since you're always one step ahead of me. Did you vary the angle any for the cleats on the hull sides? Tank also looks awesome, wish I had known I could get one through you guys before I ordered mine.

Bob

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:00 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Dig it!

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:13 am
by Bogieman
Very nice, Reid!

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:42 am
by Reid
toadfish wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm Looks great Reid! Your progress is super helpful since you're always one step ahead of me. Did you vary the angle any for the cleats on the hull sides? Tank also looks awesome, wish I had known I could get one through you guys before I ordered mine.

Bob
Thanks toadfish!
Yes, I did alter the angle as I moved to different sections (Frames E to D, D to C, and C to B).
We literally just started working with this new weld shop near us. This is the first tank they have made for us, I was kind of the guinea pig. The tank came out really nice and we will have them on the website soon.

-Reid

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:42 pm
by Reid
I started the process of pouring Buoyancy Foam yesterday. So far I am happy with the progress. Next up, pour the middle sections.
Have a good weekend!
-Reid
FS18 Foam 1.jpg
FS18 Foam 2.jpg
FS18 Foam 3.jpg

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:22 pm
by Eric1
Nice!

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:24 pm
by Dutch1
Reid,
What's the 90' bend in the sole for?

Steve

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:25 pm
by OrangeQuest
Yes, it is looking really good!

Yeah....What is the 90° elbow PVC for?

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:35 am
by Reid
I will make a small box for my grab bar. The PVC pipe is the chase tube for the electrical components going to the box.
-Reid

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:10 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Should make her nice and tight.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with for cleaning up the center section!

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:22 pm
by Reid
Hey Everyone,

Here is a Foam Cutting update:
I have watched numerous videos on how to build a foam wire cutter but this was my first attempt. I wanted to find a way to cut the middle sections of buoyancy foam from under the sole.
There was definitely a little bit of trial and error. The first design I made of PVC pipe but found that the screws that attached the wire to the pvc pipe would get too hot and melt the pvc pipe. The model that worked was made from some scrap pieces of oak I had at the shop, some spare trailer lighting wire, and a roll of stainless steel wire. The power source was the 12v battery from our forklift. For the most part it worked really well. The only issue I had at the end was my wire kept breaking. I am assuming this was due to the heat and the amount of tension being put on the wire.
Anyway, her are a few photos of the results.
-Reid

Here is a short YouTube video of one of the cuts:
https://youtu.be/3Yhz4039OXU
FS18 Foam Cutting Tool.jpg
FS18 Foam Cutting 1.jpg
FS18 Foam Cutting 2.jpg

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Nice! Also useful, I suspect, in getting people to talk!

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 pm
by Reid
All the foam is sanded and ready to be re-sealed with epoxy.
FS18 Foam Sanded Complete.jpg

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:13 pm
by OrangeQuest
So is BBC going to start selling foam cutter kits?

the correct wire to use.
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/woodlan ... 20Products

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:59 pm
by Aripeka Angler
i absolutely love the fully foamed under sole space. That’s the way we built “Bare Bones”. 8)
Your boat will be a very quiet and safe, nice work.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 am
by Reid
Aripeka Angler wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:59 pm i absolutely love the fully foamed under sole space. That’s the way we built “Bare Bones”. 8)
Your boat will be a very quiet and safe, nice work.
Thanks AA! I have to admit, I was not going to fully foam under the sole but when I did a dry fit of the sole and spoke with Seaslug I decided to completely foam under the sole. As you know the sole is cut from 1/4" Okoume and as soon as I set the sole down and stepped on it there was no doubt that it needed some additional support. The sound dampening is amazing also.

-Reid

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:48 am
by Bogieman
Very nice , Reid!

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 am
by Reid
Hey all,

I got some work done on the fuel tank mounting board and the backing boards under the sole.
The first few photos show how I permanently mounted the 1/4" bolts for my fuel tank. First I overdrilled the holes for the bolts, back-filled them with thickened epoxy (silica and milled glass mix), and re-drilled the 1/4" holes. Then I took some scrap pieces of Okoume and made a box around each bolt that I later filled with the same thickened epoxy. This will hold the bolts in place and keep them from spinning as I tighten down the lock nuts for the tank.

Next I worked on the backing plates under the sole to mount the grab bar and cooler/seat straps. I pre-cut pieces of Okoume 24" x 5" and laminated two layers together. I then took my router and routed out pockets for the backing boards. Next I coated the backing boards and the foam pockets with neat epoxy. Working wet-on-wet I mixed up some epoxy glue (woodflour) and spread it on the bottom of the boards and in the pockets with a notched spreader. Once the boards were in place I filled any void edges with the epoxy glue.

Next step is to coat the sole and get it glued in!!!
-Reid
FS18 fuel bolts 1.jpg
FS18 fuel bolts 2.jpg
FS18 fuel bolts 3.jpg
FS18 sole backing 1.jpg
FS18 sole backing 2.jpg
FS18 sole backing 3.jpg
FS18 sole backing 4.jpg

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:31 am
by Rtorres2411
Nice work Reid. That’s going to be one solid sole.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:21 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Ah ha! Nice pocket with the router. That will be a tight little sandwich.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:55 pm
by Reid
SHE HAS SOLE!!!!
(shameless product placement intended :wink: )
FS18 sole.jpg

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:46 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Show off! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks great, are you going to have her floating by meet time?

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:17 pm
by glossieblack
Very nice. 8)

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:36 pm
by Dutch1
Looks great!

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:09 am
by Reid
Aripeka Angler wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:46 pm Show off! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks great, are you going to have her floating by meet time?
I am definitely hoping to have it ready to go by the meet.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am
by Eric1
I'm Happy for you Reid!

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:20 pm
by Reid
Eric1 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am I'm Happy for you Reid!
Thanks Eric!

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm
by Reid
Got the fillet run on the sole seams and the seams taped. I'm telling you, if you haven't tried the "piping bag" technique for your fillets you are missing out! It was a humid, 85 degree day down here in FL and I had no problem applying the fillet with a piping bag and then applying the tape "wet on wet". I takes a little practice to get your technique down but once you do you will never apply fillet any other way!
-Reid
FS18_Sole_Tape.jpg

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:10 pm
by Bogieman
Nice work, Reid!

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Thanks for the tip a few months ago!

The bag can get hot though.

Sole looks awesome. Does it feel nice and tight with all the foam under it?

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:12 pm
by Reid
Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm Thanks for the tip a few months ago!

The bag can get hot though.

Sole looks awesome. Does it feel nice and tight with all the foam under it?
Dan,

You definitely need to work fast with the piping bag, but if you have done the prep work it can be applied very fast.

The floor feels like I'm walking on concrete. I am really happy with the way it came out!
-Reid

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:56 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Very nice taping job! The neatness will save lots of sanding.
Did you epoxy glue the sole to the foam?

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:02 am
by Reid
Aripeka Angler wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:56 pm Very nice taping job! The neatness will save lots of sanding.
Did you epoxy glue the sole to the foam?
I rolled some neat epoxy on the under side of the sole and the foam. While it was still wet, I used a notched spreader and spread some thickened epoxy on the underside of the sole, along the edges. I also put some thickened epoxy on all of the stringer/frame tops and the edge supports. The floor really feels solid as a rock all over!
-Reid

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:58 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Well executed plan 8)

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:44 pm
by Reid
I got started on my gunwale supports. I am modifying the design slightly (with Jacques approval of course). Instead of installing two gunwale supports cut from 3/8" and spaced 36" apart, I am installing three gunwale supports on each side. They will be cut from three layers of 3/8" and spaced 27" apart. They will also have rod holders cut out of them. I did this so I could avoid running chase tubes into frame "B". The length of the cockpit is 9' which would fit a rod easily, however, because the reel of the rod would need to sit close to the gunwale support in order for it to balance properly I would need additional space in order to fit a 7' rod. Thus the need to do a chase tube. I couldn't just space out the two gunwale supports further apart or move one support aft in order to accommodate a 7' rod so I decided on evenly spacing three supports which gave me enough room for a rod to balance properly and not hit frame "B". (sorry if that was a long winded explanation)
I measured the angle created by the sole and the hull sides, had Crystal create me a CNC file for all of the supports, and cut them on the CNC machine. Next, I laminated the three layers of each support together using neat epoxy and lots of clamps.
While those were setting up I went ahead and added a layer of 10 oz. woven to the sole for some abrasion resistance. Once the gunwale supports are cured I will mount them and get ready to start the fairing process on the cockpit and hatch compartments.
Here are a few photos of the progress.
-Reid
FS18 gunwale support 1.jpg
FS18 gunwale support 2.jpg
FS18 gunwale support 3.jpg
FS18 gunwale support 4.jpg

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 pm
by Eric1
Looks good Reid!

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:18 pm
by Reid
Eric1 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 pm Looks good Reid!
Thanks Eric!

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:35 pm
by toadfish
Boat is looking awesome Reid! The sole went together great and glad to hear it is rock solid as I'm going to follow your lead and do mine the same way. Do you use a tip on the piping bag when you use it to apply filets?

Bob

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:38 am
by Reid
toadfish wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:35 pm Boat is looking awesome Reid! The sole went together great and glad to hear it is rock solid as I'm going to follow your lead and do mine the same way. Do you use a tip on the piping bag when you use it to apply filets?

Bob
Bob,
I don't use a tip. I simply fill the bag and cut the corner off of the bag. Be careful not to cut too big of a hole or you will get too much fillet material coming out. Start small, you can always make the cut larger.

Reid

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm
by OrangeQuest
When I use a zip lock bag for pipping bag I also "kneed" , squeeze my material and keep it moving around, in the bag so I can extend it's use time. If you feel it to start warming up you best be moving faster and mix less next time.

Your gunwale ribs looking good Reid.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 am
by Bogieman
Nice!

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:22 pm
by Reid
OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm When I use a zip lock bag for pipping bag I also "kneed" , squeeze my material and keep it moving around, in the bag so I can extend it's use time. If you feel it to start warming up you best be moving faster and mix less next time.

Your gunwale ribs looking good Reid.
Thanks for the input OrangeQuest!
-Reid

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:22 pm
by Reid
Bogieman wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 amNice!
Thanks Bogie!

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:52 pm
by Reid
Hey Everyone,

I put another cote of epoxy on all of the gunwale supports. The plan is to leave the supports as bright work (except for the front edge which will be painted). Here are a few photos of the progress.
-Reid

I did a quick dry fit to make sure they all fit and were aligned properly.
FS18 Gunwale support 5.jpg
I mixed up some epoxy glue and used a notched spreader to apply it to the hull sides. Once it is cured I will run some fillets along the edges. I had to rig up a wedge system to put some pressure on the bottom of the gunwale supports. Once the forward and aft supports are dry I will install the middle supports.
FS18 Gunwale Support 6.jpg
FS18 Gunwale Support 7.jpg

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:58 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Looks great! I think you are going to meet the deadline. :wink:
Just a suggestion, I put a small limber hole in the lower edge of each support to keep the water flowing back.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:47 pm
by Reid
Aripeka Angler wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:58 pm Looks great! I think you are going to meet the deadline. :wink:
Just a suggestion, I put a small limber hole in the lower edge of each support to keep the water flowing back.
AA,
My original thought was to put a limber hole in the bottom corner but since I decided to cut back the gunwale tops and thus making the supports slightly smaller I didn't have much room to do this. The bottoms of the supports range from 2-1/4" - 1-1/4" so there wasn't much room for the holes. Also, I figured since the bottoms were so small there wouldn't be much an issue with water being held back. Once I get them installed I can always come back and drill holes if need be.
Thanks for the suggestion though!
-Reid

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:54 pm
by OrangeQuest
Nice tight glue up, was hard to tell you had glue behind them.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:57 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Reid, my supports were a little skinny also where I notched out the waterways.
The water does flow like crazy when you put in a 3/4” hole.
Yes, you can always poke them through later. Carry on. 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:05 pm
by Bogieman
I really love how beefy you made your frame/rod holders. Seeing posts in the past where people with rod holders in their frames end up with structural issues but that’s not going to happen to you

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 pm
by fallguy1000
Lookin good. I get so confused about these blogz. Whose is whose.

I am so curious where this boat will get used. When I was in Cape Coral; was not too thrilled with the brackish water there. Kinda wonder if I am full of it or if the red tide really raised hell.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:26 pm
by Reid
Hey Everyone,
Just a quick update before the weekend. I was able to get my decks cut out dry fit. (I did not cut hatches yet). Once I get the hatches cut I will assemble the deck pieces with a fiberglass splice and a butt block and then install the entire deck as one piece.
Have a good weekend!
-Reid
FS18 Deck 1.jpg
FS18 Deck 2.jpg

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm
by Capt UB
Looks great, love the shot from the bow!

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Looks great!

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:25 pm
by Bogieman
Very nice!

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:18 pm
by Reid
Hey everyone, I haven't been able to get much done on the FS18. I was able to make the box for the grab bar and got the grab bar back from our welder. He added the mounting brackets for the box and powder coated it. The box will have 2 SS cup holders, a 12 volt plug, bluetooth radio, and the fuel gauge. The flat front of the box will get a back rest cushion for the passenger cooler seat. I sill need to do some additional work on the box (as you can tell by the epoxy bubbles) but here are a few photos to show you the progress. Hope you like it!
-Reid
FS18 Grab Bar side.jpg
FS18 Grab Bar front.jpg
FS18 Grab Bar back.jpg

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:34 pm
by OrangeQuest
I love it!! Way to think outside the box...and make the box!

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:49 pm
by Reid
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:34 pm I love it!! Way to think outside the box...and make the box!
I see what you did there! :wink:
Thanks

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:50 am
by toadfish
Wow Reid! The box and grab bar look awesome. How will you drain the cup holders?

Bob

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:23 am
by Reid
toadfish wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:50 am Wow Reid! The box and grab bar look awesome. How will you drain the cup holders?

Bob
The box has no bottom to it. I will probably attach some kind of mesh so water can drain through it and air can circulate. The cup holders will have drain tubes that attach and stop just shy of the bottom edge.
The other idea is to put a bottom on it with drain holes. But I like the idea of allowing air to circulate and avoid any mold and mildew. I will just have to do a good wiring job and keep it sprayed down to avoid corrosion.
-Reid

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:49 pm
by Reid
So let me preface this by saying "yes I am aware it has been a while since I have posted". We have been really fortunate to have remained busy during this pandemic so my build time has been at a minimum.
I have spent some time on the bow and aft deck hatches (these pictures will come a little later) as well as fairing and priming of the cockpit, aft compartment, and bow compartment. Going to get some EMC paint ordered, get the interior painted, and install the fuel tank and other accessories before I install the hatch supports and channels. I will be going with the EMC Offshore White for the interior and Ice Blue for the exterior.
-Reid
This is the bow compartment. The 4 bolts are for mounting the fuel tank. The grey chase tube is for the fuel line and the white chase tube is for the sending unit.
FS18 Bow Hatch Primer.jpg
I glued up some cleats to support the aft deck.
FS18 Aft Deck Support 2.jpg
FS18 Aft Deck Support 1.jpg
FS18 Cockpit Primer 1.jpg
The gunnel supports and frame B will remain as bright work.
FS18 Cockpit Primer 2.jpg

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:41 pm
by Reid
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to throw this question out there and get your feedback. I was originally thinking about putting a 4' Power Pole on the FS18. However, I have been reconsidering this. I am thinking it might get in the way when I am poling. Also, not sure how much I would actually need it.
Thoughts?

Thanks,
Reid

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:06 pm
by Browndog
I agree that the power pole will likely get in the way of poling. A 4 foot power pole really is only good probably in 2 foot depth or less. I have an 8 foot power pole on my flats skiff and in anything over 5 feet of depth it won’t hold very well, especially with wind or tide.

On my brother’s FS 19 I installed a removable fiberglass stick it pole and transom bracket that I got from you guys and it is easy to store out of the way, costs way less and is easier to install too.

Of course you can also use whatever you are using to pole with and use that with a rope tied to the boat to do the same thing.

The boat is looking good. Keep it up!

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:50 am
by Reid
Thanks for the reply Browndog! I agree with you. I think I will use the push pole as an anchor and keep it simple.

-Reid

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:10 am
by wwsmith
Reid, I tried about every anchor option I could think of other than a mechanical product (like power pole). The goal was to keep it light and simple and not add clutter. Kept going back to using the push pole as a stake-out stick but the manufacturer highly discouraged it and it simply doesn't work well unless the bottom is very soft. After fighting it for a year, I put this transom bracket on and got a small fiberglass stake-out stick for $100 and it works great. Several people make them (power pole, stiffy, etc.) and it will fit in your rod holders. I have been very happy with this option.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:30 pm
by Reid
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a few photos of my hatch lids and show you the process that worked well for me. This was pretty easy and I think it will yield a nice result.
The main part of the lid is the 9mm cutout from the aft and bow decks. I then added a second layer of 9mm, recessed 2" from the edge, to the underside of the lid. This second layer made for a really stiff panel!
Next, I ripped some strips of 6mm ply, 3/4" wide. I then epoxy glued these to the underside edges of both lids in order to make a lip. I simply used woodflour and epoxy for the glue. In order to make the radiused corners of the lip I cut some small pieces of plastic and taped them to the outside and inside of the radius. This created a nice dam for me to fill with some thickened epoxy. For this application I used some silica and milled fibers. The result was a smooth radius that matched the radius of the lid. I will sand everything down, prime it, and get ready to paint it.
-Reid
FS18 hatch lid 1.jpg
FS18 hatch lid 2.jpg
FS18 hatch lid 3.jpg
FS18 hatch lid 4.jpg

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:40 pm
by TomW1
Nice work Reid.

Tom

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:34 am
by cape man
Nice hatches!
In 2011 Joel Shine sourced some 3/4" fiberglass rods and a bunch of us made our own stakes. I simply sharpened one end and wrapped the other with rope to give it a grip. Richard made some mahogany handles for the two he uses on his XF20. A friend of mine made some adjustable aluminum brackets that Bateau was also carrying. A push pole works in soft bottom, but the stakes can be jammed down through oysters.
A friend of my son is now a rep for power poles. I told him last week he is selling really expensive anchors to whimps (sorry Brown Dog 8) ).

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:24 am
by BrianC
I got all my fiberglass rod and tubes from Max-Gain Sysyems in Georgia. The shipping isn’t too bad if you place a biggish order but keep under the size & weight that triggers FedEx oversized charges. As mentioned, the poles work great as stakeout sticks and the tubes can be used for things like chase tubes, scuppers, and rod holders.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 pm
by Browndog
No worries Capeman.

I’ve had a fair amount of problems with the power pole. Cracked hydraulic lines. Pole deploying while trailering due to hydraulic fluid leaks, etc. They are expensive to purchase, install and maintain.

That is why we did not install one on my brother’s boat and just went with the transom bracket and stick-it pole. Easy to install and use. No moving parts to break or maintain. Fairly inexpensive. An anchor and rode would do the job too for maybe even less money.

Despite all that, I see a lot of boats around here with one or even two power poles. Lots of money for an anchor only good for shallow water.

The biggest benefit of the power pole is that it is convenient, fairly quiet and relatively quick to deploy via the remote when fishing by yourself and using a bow mounted trolling motor to ease along while casting from the bow.

The drawback of any type of stake out pole on the transom, unless you have two, is that the boat will eventually spin downwind or down current and the water will slap against the transom and possibly splash up into the boat. I’ve even seen boats take on water due to the current causing water to flood in through the scuppers. Anchoring from the bow keeps the boat pointed into the wind or current which is generally preferable.

I’ve been lucky enough to fish for bonefish and other species that inhabit shallow water quite a bit all around the Bahamas, Mexico, Belize, Honduras and elsewhere and I’ve never seen a flats skiff that was being poled by a guide have a power pole.

For a lightweight skiff like the FS 18 designed for poling if it was mine I would not put a Power Pole or a MinnKota Talon system on it.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 pm
by Jaysen
As the “power is evil” representative, do a bit of a hybrid approach. I use a 1/4” fiberglass driveway marker through my dagger slot or into the mud and tied to my bow cleat. Good for 36” depth or so. If I come off that due to current, 3lb grapple, 10’ chain, 100’ nylon. (Only time that slipped was a cobia.) typically less and 3’ of rope needed but I’ve put out all 100 in deeper water and high winds.

Keep in mind I’m in a v12 with sail and oars. Shallow is easy for me. So is anchoring.

Small boat wins!

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:22 pm
by toadfish
Hatches look really great Reid. Strong enough to stand on?

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:12 pm
by Reid
toadfish wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:22 pm Hatches look really great Reid. Strong enough to stand on?
Absolutely! I did a test, put the hatch on the ground sitting on two pieces of scrap 1x2 on the edges of the hatch. The hatch didn't flex at all when I stood on the middle.

-Reid

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 pm
by Reid
cape man wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:34 am Nice hatches!
In 2011 Joel Shine sourced some 3/4" fiberglass rods and a bunch of us made our own stakes. I simply sharpened one end and wrapped the other with rope to give it a grip. Richard made some mahogany handles for the two he uses on his XF20. A friend of mine made some adjustable aluminum brackets that Bateau was also carrying. A push pole works in soft bottom, but the stakes can be jammed down through oysters.
A friend of my son is now a rep for power poles. I told him last week he is selling really expensive anchors to whimps (sorry Brown Dog 8) ).
Capeman,

I actually have the last 3/4" fiberglass rod in the shop with me. I was thinking about finishing it, like you and Richard did, and attaching a bracket to my jackplate (to avoid more holes in my transom). It would be similar to the way Bob's Machine Shop makes a Power Pole bracket to mount to their jackplates. The fiberglass rod should fit nicely in one of the rod storage slots under the gunwale caps.
What would be the best way to attach some sort of SS tip to the end of the fiberglass rod?

-Reid

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:22 pm
by BrianC
Reid wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 pm ...What would be the best way to attach some sort of SS tip to the end of the fiberglass rod?
One of these stainless steel shallow-water anchors tips should do the trick. Image

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:47 pm
by cape man
You don't need the tip. Have been jamming mine down for years and the tip is fine.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:03 pm
by cape_fisherman
Yeah, we have stick-it poles on our two skiffs. One has a stainless tube mounted to the stern to stick the pole through...good idea, but the current will put a bend in the pole & it can be a real pain to pull back out (especially if you're by yourself). I much rather stick it, and use the rope to hook to a cleat. More times than not, we just pull up to a marshy edge and poke the pole into the marsh on more of a horizontal plane...sort of like if you were sword fighting with the marsh...LoL...but seriously, it's much easier to poke a marshy bank horizontally than it is to try and dig into a hard shell/rocky bottom vertically.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:28 pm
by TomW1
Guys Joel has sold a bracket and fiberglass stake from the store for several years. For the 3/4" stake https://boatbuildercentral.com/product/ ... rder-only/ for the bracket https://boatbuildercentral.com/product/ ... m-bracket/ Some guys have built a wood handle for it even.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:32 pm
by Reid
TomW1 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:28 pm Guys Joel has sold a bracket and fiberglass stake from the store for several years. For the 3/4" stake https://boatbuildercentral.com/product/ ... rder-only/ for the bracket https://boatbuildercentral.com/product/ ... m-bracket/ Some guys have built a wood handle for it even.
TomW1,

These transom brackets were made by one of our local weld shops. We stopped having them made because we sold them so infrequently. I actually didn't realize we still had them on our site. I just removed them.

-Reid

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:39 pm
by cape_fisherman
Google "stick it pole bracket" and you'll find plenty of options. They are not uncommon in the least.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:43 pm
by Jaysen
I still like a simple cleated line with a bowline. Simple and uses a dock line you already have on board.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 pm
by TomW1
Reid wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:32 pm
TomW1 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:28 pm Guys Joel has sold a bracket and fiberglass stake from the store for several years. For the 3/4" stake https://boatbuildercentral.com/product/ ... rder-only/ for the bracket https://boatbuildercentral.com/product/ ... m-bracket/ Some guys have built a wood handle for it even.
TomW1,

These transom brackets were made by one of our local weld shops. We stopped having them made because we sold them so infrequently. I actually didn't realize we still had them on our site. I just removed them.

-Reid
Reid I assume the fiberglass poles also?

Tom

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:27 am
by Reid
TomW1 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 pm
Reid wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:32 pm
TomW1,

-Reid
Reid I assume the fiberglass poles also?

Tom
Yes, I removed both the poles and the brackets from the site.
-Reid

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:42 am
by Reid
Been trying to plug away little by little each day.
Got the fuel tank installed in the front hatch. Used 1/8" Neoprene strips under the tank. Mounted with 1/4" SS bolts that were pre-attached underneath the floor.
I also got the channel and supports installed for the aft deck hatch. I used some System Three Gel Magic to mount the channel to the transom and frame D.
-Reid
FS18 Fuel Tank Install 1.jpg
FS18 Fuel Tank Install 2.jpg
FS18 Aft Hatch Channel 1.jpg
FS18 Aft Hatch Channel 2.jpg

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 pm
by cape_fisherman
Jaysen wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:43 pm I still like a simple cleated line with a bowline. Simple and uses a dock line you already have on board.
Agreed...I hate using the transom bracket. If I'm by myself, I NEVER use it.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:05 pm
by TomW1
Reid, I like the way that tanks mounts. Could you explain a little more about how you mounted it. It looks like you bolted it from the deck below, or from some type of added structure you added for it to set on. Very neat and clean. :D

Tom

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:58 am
by Reid
TomW1 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:05 pm Reid, I like the way that tanks mounts. Could you explain a little more about how you mounted it. It looks like you bolted it from the deck below, or from some type of added structure you added for it to set on. Very neat and clean. :D

Tom
Tom,

I cut a floor (not part of the plans) out of some scrap 9mm to fit on top of the stringers in between frames A and B. I had the tank built before I glued the floor in place. I marked where I wanted my tank mounted, drilled the four holes for the 1/4" SS Hex Head bolts. I flipped the floor over, inserted the bolts through the holes, and cut some small pieces of plywood to make a 4 sided box around the Hex Head. Once the "box" was glued in place and the bolts were installed, I mixed up some epoxy with Silica and Milled Fiber and filled the box with and the small void spaces around the Hex Heads. Basically the box was glued in such as way to prevent the Hex Head bolts from spinning and the epoxy mixture was to hold the bolts from falling out.
-Reid
Here are a few previous pics to demonstrate:
FS18 fuel bolts 1.jpg
FS18 fuel bolts 2.jpg
FS18 fuel bolts 3.jpg

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:22 pm
by VT_Jeff
Reid,

Can I ask how this joint was made? Is it just end-grain glued to a face or is it mortised into the face? I spent probably WAY too much time screwing around with this type of thing, am wondering exactly how far overboard I went.

Learning a lot form this build, appreciate the doc effort!

Jeff

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 pm
by Dan_Smullen
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:22 pm Reid,

Can I ask how this joint was made? Is it just end-grain glued to a face or is it mortised into the face? I spent probably WAY too much time screwing around with this type of thing, am wondering exactly how far overboard I went.

Jeff
Following...

Reid, the finish in the bilge looks amazing. I’m also inspired by the hatch framing.

Will good fillets support the end of a part like in the pic VT Jeff quoted?

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:17 pm
by fallguy1000
Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 pm

Jeff
Following...

Reid, the finish in the bilge looks amazing. I’m also inspired by the hatch framing.

Will good fillets support the end of a part like in the pic VT Jeff quoted?
My name is not Reid, but I call and ask his advice all the time.

I would at a minimum support the epoxy glue bond with glass, preferred underneath, but it not possible on the sides. It only needs to be 2" wide tabbing of say db1200 or more. My boat is getting heavy, though, so it is a bit depressing always adding glass weight n resin.

My designer told me to always support epoxy bonds with tabbing. I have decided on soles-a must. On hatch lids; no.

From a pure mechanics perspective; the epoxy bond is probably good, but the forces on the joint are or could be great if say a person is there when the boat comes down off a wave or some such.

I'd be curious what Reid's reply is as well. Did not intend to speak for him. Just give you my 2 cents.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:50 am
by Reid

Jeff
I simply left a small gap, no mortised joint or anything, and glued it up with GelMagic. I made sure that both surfaces were scuffed up pretty good and clean of any dust or contaminates in order to get a good bond. I placed the deck on top of this piece after it was cured and stood on top of it to test it and it worked great! In the end it will be even stronger and stiffer once I use GelMagic to glue the deck down on top of that piece. The deck will also sit on top of the hull panels which will give even more support.
I will keep documenting as I go.

Yes a nice fillet will go a long way in supporting a joint like this. Dan is correct however, fiberglass tabbing wouldn't hurt either.

-Reid

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:46 am
by VT_Jeff
Reid wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:50 am

Jeff
I simply left a small gap, no mortised joint or anything, and glued it up with GelMagic. I made sure that both surfaces were scuffed up pretty good and clean of any dust or contaminates in order to get a good bond. I placed the deck on top of this piece after it was cured and stood on top of it to test it and it worked great! In the end it will be even stronger and stiffer once I use GelMagic to glue the deck down on top of that piece. The deck will also sit on top of the hull panels which will give even more support.
I will keep documenting as I go.

Dan, yes a nice fillet will go a long way in supporting a joint like this.

-Reid
Appreciate that. I cut slots in my bulkheads to support the deck frames. In retrospect this was clearly not needed and actually caused me some hassle trying to keep the tops of the bulkheads straight. Live and learn!

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:51 pm
by Dan_Smullen
That’s amazing strength with nothing more than glue on end grain. Better living through science!

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:20 pm
by Reid
Quick update: I took the step I know so many out there cringe when they think about doing it, installing the thru hull in the transom.
The Thru Hull is an Attwood SS, to fit a 1" ID hose.
I started by marking my spot, and cutting a hole using a 2" hole saw. I had some Pettit EZ Tex Repair Compound that the Pettit Rep dropped off a while back. This seemed like a good application to for this stuff since it is non-sagging, sandable, and you can actually drill and tap it once cured. It is a two part 1:1 ratio mix. I used the Pettit EZ Tex to fill the hole and make a plug.
Next I came back with a 1-5/16" drill bit and drilled the hole for the SS Thru Hull right through the Pettit plug.
The Attwood Thru Hull will be installed permanently after the hull is painted. I will use some 3M 5200 to seal around the Thru Hull.
Here are a few pics to illustrate what I did.
Have a good weekend!
-Reid
FS18 Thru Hull 1.jpg
FS18 Thru Hull 2.jpg
FS18 Thru Hull 3.jpg

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:09 am
by fallguy1000
Any time to work on the boat Reid?

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:32 pm
by Reid
Been a while since I posted. I have been able to get the decks and gunwale caps glued down. I used System Three GelMagic and applied it with the piping bag technique. I continue to find that the Piping Bag technique is an extremely efficient way to apply epoxy glues precisely and with very little waste.
Next, I will fiberglass tape all the seams where the decks and gunwale caps meet the hull sides and transom. I will also tape the seams where the aft and bow decks meet the gunwale caps.

Talk to you soon!
-Reid
PS: In case anyone asks, the wires sticking out from the bow are the wires for the running lights. The lights will be installed once the hull is painted.
FS18_deck_1.jpg
FS18_deck_2.jpg
FS18_deck_3.jpg
FS18_deck_4.jpg

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:09 am
by glossieblack
That straight sheer round chine look is going to turn heads. Very nice. :D

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:28 am
by Dan_Smullen
Good to see some progress! I love the paint lines on the frames/rod holders. Nice touch!

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:08 pm
by fallguy1000
I hated the piping bag. I think because my quantities were too large. Stuff heated too fast, was too much work to bag...

For sure, makes sense for smaller amounts and a way to use less.

Perhaps I have 300 pounds too much in fillets. Makes me nervous to think about..

Boat looks good.

Pick a few hours a week to get er done!

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:03 pm
by Reid
Hey Everyone,

Getting down to a lot of the little meticulous parts of the build. It really is amazing how much time the finishing touches take.
I spent some time making some trim for the inside of my gunwale caps. The trim pieces will do two things, add to the aesthetics, but more importantly, they will dramatically stiffen up the gunwale caps. The gunwale caps are made from 9mm OKU, and while they are structurally sound without the inside trim, they had some flex when I walked on them, especially the inside edges. The trim was made by ripping pieces of 4mm OKU and laminating two layers to get my desired length. Once I laminated the two layers I dry fit and trimmed to fit the port and starboard sides. The trim pieces were then glued (using System Three Gel Magic) to the inside edge of the gunwale caps, as well as, the tops of the gunwale supports. They were also glued to the frames (B and E). All these points of contact left me with a really stiff gunwale cap. Next, I used my router and quarter rounded the inside and outside edges of the gunwale caps. I did this because I plan on fiberglass taping the edges of the gunwale caps with some 6oz., 6" woven tape. The tape will simply help to reinforce the seams.
Here are a couple of pics.

Talk soon,
Reid
FS18 Gunwale Trim 1.jpg
FS18 Gunwale Trim 2.jpg

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:14 pm
by Reid
Got all of the taping done on the gunwale cap seams, inside and outside. Next, time to fair.

-Reid
FS18 Gunwale Taping 1.jpg
FS18 Gunwale Taping 2.jpg

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:56 pm
by cape man
Bite at a time...

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:46 pm
by Dan_Smullen
The work we expect to see. Nice and clean!

Will you lay a piece of glass between the tapes, or fair it all in?

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:05 pm
by Reid
Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:46 pm The work we expect to see. Nice and clean!

Will you lay a piece of glass between the tapes, or fair it all in?
Dan,
Not going to tape in between the edges. Going to hit the edges of the fiberglass tape with the sander to knock down the edges then I will fair in with some Quick Fair.

Hoping to be able to prime shortly thereafter.

-Reid

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:11 am
by cape man
Looking good! She's gonna be beautiful!

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 am
by Reid
cape man wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:11 am Looking good! She's gonna be beautiful!
Thank you!
She'll be ready for the 2025 Builder's Meet!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:09 pm
by cape man
8)

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:34 am
by Reid
Got the hull flipped and was able to put two coats of primer on the outside of the hull. I used the System Three Pennant Primer (Formerly known as Yacht Primer). I really do like this product. It rolls on really nicely. I didn't even need to tip it, any bubbles that formed quickly popped and the primer laid down beautifully!
I also got a coat on the tops of my hatches.
Next step is some final sanding before paint.
-Reid
FS18 Outside Primer 1.jpg
FS18 Outside Primer 2.jpg
FS18 Hatch Prime.jpg

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:37 pm
by fallguy1000
I'd like to try that primer sometime.

Sure looks nice. The round chine...did you tell me that for more stealth fishing?

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:09 pm
by Reid
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:37 pm I'd like to try that primer sometime.

Sure looks nice. The round chine...did you tell me that for more stealth fishing?
Strictly aesthetics for me. It is supposed to reduce "hull slap" when poling. However, because these boats are so light I don't think it makes a big difference.

-Reid

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:14 pm
by Reid
Hey everyone,

Been a little while since my last post. The hull is finally painted. I used Quantum 99 Ice Blue. Definitely had a lot of time sanding and fairing in order to get it as smooth as possible. Really happy with the paint job.
Next step is letting it sit for 7 days before I flip it over. (This is the recommendation of EMC Paint). Once flipped I can finish priming the interior and move on to paint and non-skid.
In case anyone is wondering, I had to block up the hull in order for the sheer line to clear the fender wells of the trailer. Once flipped she will sit back on the bunks.
-Reid
FS18 Paint Hull 1.jpg
FS18 Paint Hull 2.jpg

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:33 am
by Dougster
Love that ice blue and such a gracefull hull.

Dougster

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:41 am
by pee wee
The lighting in the warehouse doesn't display it well, but it looks really shiny, nice job!

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:28 pm
by TomW1
Very nice job love that boat. Tom

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:39 pm
by Reid
She's flipped back over and ready for the topside primer, paint, & nonskid!!!
-Reid
FS18paint_flip.jpg

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:53 pm
by cape man
Looking good! Like that color.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:07 pm
by OrangeQuest
I like that color also. At times is looks blue and other times it looks more sea foam greenish. I am sure it is the lighting and the surroundings, but I like how it has the hint of not being white.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:14 am
by Reid
Hey all,

I got the topside/decking/hatches primed and ready for paint. I continued to use the System Three Pennant Primer (formerly called Yacht Primer). I really do like the ease of use of this primer. The topsides all received two coats. I had my tipping brush ready to go but did not use it all! You can see from the finish that there is not one air bubble in sight. I will do a little sanding with some 120/220 in preparation for the Quantum 99 Topcoat. The sole and decks will all get some nonskid additive as well.
-Reid
FS18 Topside Primer 1.jpg
FS18 Topside Primer 2.jpg
FS18 Topside Primer 3.jpg

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:36 pm
by seaslug
You're almost there. Your boat looks fantastic, and great job on the fairing and hatch builds. When is the launch?

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:08 pm
by mhd
Reid wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:14 am Hey all,

I got the topside/decking/hatches primed and ready for paint. I continued to use the System Three Pennant Primer (formerly called Yacht Primer). I really do like the ease of use of this primer. The topsides all received two coats. I had my tipping brush ready to go but did not use it all! You can see from the finish that there is not one air bubble in sight. I will do a little sanding with some 120/220 in preparation for the Quantum 99 Topcoat. The sole and decks will all get some nonskid additive as well.
-Reid
Finish looks absolutely *perfect*. I'll bet you can't wait to get her in the water. Won't be long now, I'm sure.

Mick

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:24 pm
by TomW1
Reid she looks great It has been a long time coming but you're getting there. Tom

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:07 am
by fallguy1000
Not long now. Finishes are a pain, but you know you are getting close.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:21 am
by Reid
seaslug wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:36 pm You're almost there. Your boat looks fantastic, and great job on the fairing and hatch builds. When is the launch?
I wish I could give you a launch date but with the fact that "something" always comes up I probably will post a launch date when I am actually driving to the ramp! :lol:
Believe me, my wife probably asks me twice a week.

That being said, the end is in sight!!!
-Reid

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:16 pm
by fallguy1000
Supporting a family and little kids is an important first.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:51 pm
by Reid
Hey Everyone,
It's been a while since I posted so I wanted to share my progress. I am really enjoying this stage of the build! Yes, obviously because it's almost done, but more so because I get to see all the pieces come together. I love seeing a plan come to fruition, the brightwork, the rubrail choice, paint, grab rail, console box, etc... I did some dry fitting with the grab rail. Next I will drill some oversized holes, fill them with thickened epoxy and then be able to mount the grab rail into those plugs. This will keep any water away from the plywood sole. I will do the same thing when I mount the jack plate. I have an RTic 45 cooler on the way that will be sit in front of the grab rail and double as a seat. Once I have the motor the final stages of rigging will start!!!

-Reid

(Not sure why some of these photos appear sideways or upside-down, but just click on them and they will open up correctly)
IMG_7623.jpg
IMG_7624.jpg
IMG_7625.jpg
IMG_7626.jpg
IMG_7627.jpg
IMG_7628.jpg

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:36 pm
by OrangeQuest
Really clean looking boat!

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:29 pm
by Reid
Got the fuel gauge, USB Plug, and Fusion stereo installed into the console today.
IMG_7640.jpg
IMG_7639.jpg

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:57 pm
by OrangeQuest
That is one nice and clean looking console.

Wish I could think in clean and simple.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:03 pm
by TomW1
Very nice!! I do not see a tach to dial in the prop? Tom

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:15 am
by fishgitr
Fish won't bite if that radio is thumping... :)

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:47 am
by Reid
TomW1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:03 pm Very nice!! I do not see a tach to dial in the prop? Tom
Going to have to wing it a little I guess. I will use a portable GPS unit to help gauge my speeds. The motor (Suzukit 25 HP w/ electric trim/tilt) can be adjusted with the trim/tilt feature as well as adjustments with the jack plate. Tom, I will definitely rely on your expertise if I need to make any prop adjustments! I assume I will eventually get a nicer prop to replace the factory prop that comes with the motor but I will have to cross that bridge once the boat is fully rigged and I do some test runs with it fully loaded.
-Reid

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:52 am
by Reid
fishgitr wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:15 am Fish won't bite if that radio is thumping... :)
Don't worry buddy, the "Flats Stalker" will be in full stealth mode when lines are in the water. The stereo is so I can play my victory music as I idle up to the dock to weigh my trophy catch!!! 8) :lol: :lol:
-Reid

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:46 pm
by fallguy1000
Reid wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:47 am
TomW1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:03 pm Very nice!! I do not see a tach to dial in the prop? Tom
Going to have to wing it a little I guess. I will use a portable GPS unit to help gauge my speeds. The motor (Suzukit 25 HP w/ electric trim/tilt) can be adjusted with the trim/tilt feature as well as adjustments with the jack plate. Tom, I will definitely rely on your expertise if I need to make any prop adjustments! I assume I will eventually get a nicer prop to replace the factory prop that comes with the motor but I will have to cross that bridge once the boat is fully rigged and I do some test runs with it fully loaded.
-Reid
Tiny tach?

https://www.tinytach.com/gasoline-tinytach

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:24 pm
by TomW1
I also recommend the Tiny Tachs when someone does not have a tach on their boat. Tom

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:35 pm
by Reid
TomW1 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:24 pm I also recommend the Tiny Tachs when someone does not have a tach on their boat. Tom
Ok, good advise. Maybe I will get one and mount it next to my electrical panel.
Thank you TomW1 and Fallguy!
-Reid

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:03 am
by glossieblack
Elegant FS18. :D