Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Chasing Tail - FS17 LS

Post by rbecker08 »

Sorry for the long time away. There has been some good news, someone in Florida figured out what a mask is or we all already got it :). Work is finally starting to let up a bit and can finally get back to getting the boat finished. Hopefully be back more regularly to the forums but talked it over with the other half and we need to spend at least 2 to 3 nights a week on the boat so we can get it out of the garage and park her car in there instead.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

rbecker08 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:23 pm Sorry for the long time away. There has been some good news, someone in Florida figured out what a mask is or we all already got it :). Work is finally starting to let up a bit and can finally get back to getting the boat finished. Hopefully be back more regularly to the forums but talked it over with the other half and we need to spend at least 2 to 3 nights a week on the boat so we can get it out of the garage and park her car in there instead.
Sounds like the boss has spoken. :lol: Hope she also wants to go fishing. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

TomW1 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:52 pm
Sounds like the boss has spoken. :lol: Hope she also wants to go fishing. :D

Tom
So partial problem solved......I went to get our son from MD the other day and ran over a Turkey at 75mph. No longer need to put the car in the garage for a few weeks at least :)

Cut my cleats out of some pine and should be gluing at least some of them up this week and need to get some design things figured out.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So life is funny, someone walked into my garage and we talked boats and wood working and eventually I ended up making one of those epoxy tables for a rather silly amount of money. I find myself with a partially built boat really wanting the space it takes and not really having the time needed to button it up. I am not sure where this goes but if there are any would be boat builders near the Pensacola area this could be just the thing to get you going. Not sure if I really want to let the project go yet but would like to see if there is interest for anyone taking over my build, I just don't have the time and really would like to get the wood shop back up into shape. Inner glass is done, stringers in, frames in, and kleats for the lower deck in process. I also have most of the hardware/materials to finish it up epoxy, foam, plywood (okume), jack plate, fuel tank, steering, radio, paint,.... Let me know if there is any interest. Thanks Rich

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Rich I'm sorry to hear you have given up on your build. If you are really serious on selling it put it up in the Anything Else and For Sale section.

Again sorry about your decion, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So been fairly active on the boat. Got three coats of epoxy on all exposed wood and added in 4 gallons of foam. It didn't expand as far as I thought but could be from the temp (76) or just from the age, I've had this stuff for a while or more likely the problem lies between the ears.
20221214_145904.jpg
Anyway next I'll probably build out the front and rear decks, I won't foam under those, and start building parts while we wait for warmer weather. Happy to be back at it.

Mother in law is coming to town for 3 months, goal is to be done by them. Let's see what happens

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Good to have you back at it!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So more progress today. Rough cut the frame, next I will epoxy the frame itself but not to the frames. This way I can lift it as a solid unit and add epoxy to seal. Now for the loop in the front where the trailer which hooks up, should that be above or below the deck. The deck is lower then I thought it would be, such is life :)
20221216_205820.jpg

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Quick work last night but still making up for previous errors. I ground the rear frame level relative to the gunners goal was flast and same distance to the top of the gunnel. This cut into the deck bracing so added an additional brace below and filled gaps with thickened epoxy. Should start cutting out the rear deck framing shortly.
20230103_221108.jpg
20230103_221100.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff