Page 1 of 1

Shelterlogic 18'x28' "Boat Factory"

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:05 am
by narfi
Opened up my "Ikea on steroids" package and started putting it together today.

20170701_103204.jpg

20170701_121137.jpg
20170701_204522.jpg

Ended up being a much larger project than I expected.
Started opening boxes around 10:30 and had some co workers scheduled to come help at 3.
By 3 I had about 80% of the frames pinned together and nuts finger tight on them.
One guy showed up at 3 and by 4.30 or so everything was ready to stand up. We left everything finger tight as we weren't sure how being tight would effect setup.

2 young yahoos walked by the path about that time and I drafted them to help set it all up.
It went pretty smooth. 2 men, 2 women, and 2 teen boys got it all up and pinned in place.

The boys needed to go home for dinner so I gave them a ride and bought them $10 milkshakes at the new food truck that was having it's grand opening today. (We have no stores or restaurants here. You would normally have to fly somewhere if you want a burger and shake you didn't make yourself)

Same time I was taking the boys home another coworker showed up to help.
My broad strokes "good enough for who it's for" leveling became glaringly obvious as the horizontal braces were VERY waves. Thankfully Chip (The last guy to show up) turned out to be my details guy and was huge help getting the first wall straight. Thankfully our front porch was turn down last week and so I had lots of scrap 2x6s. (We are getting a double decker arctic entry where the porch was)

I somehow didn't plan ahead enough to have a long tape measure so we will square up the second wall tomorow after church and lunch.
I will probably skip church and go through finish tightning all the connections and wrapping in duct tape to prevent chafing on the cover.
Hopefully finished pictures tomorow.

Re: Shelterlogic 18'x28' "Boat Factory"

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:55 am
by Fuzz
Those shelters seem to hold up pretty well. I hope yours works out for you.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:37 am
by Aripeka Angler
We have one of those shelters in our hunting camp. It's been up for years and has survived some strong winds.
What boat will you be working on in the boat factory?

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:49 am
by Eric1
The things a man will do to build a boat. Love the pictures, keep them coming.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:15 am
by narfi
Will start with a hc14 and then see how far I can get on a fs17 this season.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:56 am
by blueflood
Hi narfie,
Those hold up like a tank. Good choice👍🏻

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 am
by Jeff
Nice boat building factory in Alaska!!! Build on Narfi!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:46 am
by narfi
1 step forward 2 steps back.........

I tightened all the nuts down and wrapped everything possible with duct tape.
After lunch chip came over with a long tape measure and we squared it up and got all the legs secured down.

End pannels/doors went on easier than expected and looked great!
20170702_171627.jpg
The main cover comes folded like an accordion and we slid 3 poles through the edge and tied 3 ropes to them and threw over the peak. Just then a neighbor boys dad came walking through the yard looking for one of his boys shoes left here so we conscripted him to pull on one of the ropes. It was amazing how easy it was.... literally we just pulled on the 3 ropes and the cover slid over the top and into place.
Just as we tight end the ends down it started raining.
Thankfully we had a new cover to sit under while my wife brought out steaks and potatoes and huge glasses of water.
20170702_211817.jpg
After tightening down the ends we realized our problem.
We had squared off the entire frame and fastened down every leg, however the bottom of each wall has slots which poles slide through and fastened between each leg.
We had leveled each pole and got them perfectly aligned but we never measured them for 4ft between each. Pretty much every one was off .5 to 1 inch and we had to pry out all the nails and slide the legs around to get the wall bottom poles in place.

The next issue is the entire cover seems to want to be toward the back door several inches more than the front. It also seems like we couldn't get it really tight, neither of us wanted to tear anything ratcheting it down to far but both agreed it needs to be tighter.

We zipped it back closed and gave each corner a few more clicks on the ratchets and called it a night.
We need to go back and secure the legs at proper widths and in line. They spring a round a little towards the center when not secured.
We are hoping that time and a sunny day will let us stretch the cover tighter over the frame and get it all more comfy with where it's supposed to be.

I'm happy with the size, seems lime it will give me a good area to work in.
Because we blocked it up for leveling the end doors have an air gap at the bottom I will need to figure out a solution for.
The walls have extra flaps hanging down I need to figure out, I think I can cover them with dirt to make a good seal around the edges.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:29 am
by glossieblack
Nice going narfi. :D

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 am
by Eric1
That looks like it will serve you well. I know you'll work out the details but all in all fine job. :D

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:35 am
by Jeff
Narfi, Nice work on the Boat Factory!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:57 am
by narfi
If you look at my picture from yesterday, you can see that the walls look loose and the bottom of the walls are pulling toward the back while there obviously isn't enough room around the front frame to let the entire cover shift that direction.

I decided that the pockets for the wall braces were incorrectly cut from the factory and recut where I thought they should go.

You can see in this picture the original pocket gap to the left and on the right where I recut the pocket to fit around the frame.
20170703_202530.jpg
With the cover fitting more comfortably I ran a line and nailed down the legs in a straight line again.

Then I was able to force the wall braces down and tighten them to the frames. (Would have been alot easier with two people) I stood and slightly jumped on the braces and squatted down and tightened them enough I could hold it down with one hand and finish tightening.

I'm not sure what sequence you are supposed to do that in but I started in the middle and did pairs opposite each other working my way to each end and tightening the 4 corners last.

Ratcheted the four corners down as tight as I was comfortable with again and am pretty happy with the results. It's nearly as tight as a drum between each section.

20170703_202727.jpg

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have done alot less before getting the cover on. Just squaring the 4 corners and letting all the other legs do their own thing. Then once covered and wall braces loosely installed worried about spacing and aligning the legs and securing them down.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:24 am
by Fuzz
Like everything else you get better at something after doing it a while. I willing to bet that anyone who has built several boats will say their last one was better than their first one.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:39 pm
by TomW1
Narfi it looks good. As someone who has done many of these type of sheds for my Nursery before I retired you want it looking like it is now. In the winter it will tighten up like sucking on a dill pickle. You want that tightness to support your snow load. My main greenhouse, 28x48, which was heated, had twin blown walls and 8mil plastic and a 120,000 BTU heater, and with stood what is called the Blizzard of 93 around these parts, 35" of snow over 2 days.

I will be honest I don't know what the specs are on your covering material or metal bows. But be careful that they have been engineered for not the average snow fall but a very large above average one time fall. I will tell you there were millions and millions of dollars of commercial greenhouses that collapsed during that storm. Be prepared to heat it to melt the snow off it if you get such a storm.

I'm sorry I have not been in on this conversation before, but my Mom who is 92 just had a coma as a result of cancer and I have been traveling and not really been on the forum much. Hope this is info you can use as I have probably built 8-10 sheds like this. Ask any questions you might have. If I had been on earlier I might have saved you some grief. Sorry.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:05 am
by narfi
Thanks. And sorry to hear about your mom.

I'm not sure the thickness, I think I knew when I was researching and purchased it. I think 9mil? Does that sound right?
It's a single piece (not sure if the inside and outside are two different materials though... It's white inside and grey outside.

We get cold winters here but not usually huge dumps of snow at once. Worst I've seen is probably a foot in 2 days or so.

You just heat from the inside to melt it off?
How much heat is needed (it's not usually below 20ish if it's really dumping so only need to raise it 15-20 degrees?)

Tonight I dug a shallow trench around the outside and burried the wall flaps. Then put an old steel pipe along the bottom of the back door I don't plan on using and hurried it as well.

Then I raked a bunch more inside getting the edges filled back in and the entire room a bit smoother. Raking got all the stones off the surface as well.

I plan to put some shelves along the edge and stretch a tarp that is a little smaller than the room out to keep it a little cleaner. It won't be a sterile environment but hoping I can manage not to mix too much dirt in with my work.

Maybe I'll be ready this weekend to build the strongback for the fs17 this weekend and get it leveled. (I know the floor isn't perfect so will take some shimming to get it level)

The plan is to use it as the work table for building the hc14 first and then as the strongback for the fs17.
20170704_211809.jpg

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:29 am
by Fuzz
The shelter is looking good. I think you will be able to build in it for much of the year. Not sure if you plan on working all winter or not. If so a Toyo will be a big help. Until the weather cools I think it would be nice to be able to open up both ends to get some airflow at times.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 am
by TomW1
Narfi, my thoughts, 9 mil sounds good. As far as a heater you want something large enough to keep up with the falling accumulating snow, so keeping the ceiling at 35-40 degrees from side to side is what you need. A good heater man can calculate that for you. It is based on Cu. Ft. and amount of temperature rise needed. During the summer, Fuzz hit the nail on the head. These sheds can get extremely hot. Plan on being to opening both ends and maybe even a couple of fans blowing air out, never in.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 am
by narfi
The tarp for the floor came in today so we staked it down offcenter to one side and the front.

On the uncovered side we setup shelving. 3 sets of shelving broke down to half night makes 6 table height shelves.

Drug out all the random toolboxes and random boxes of junk that's collected unsorted over the years of not having a work area at home. Landon started digging it out and setting it on the shelves as I setup the last one.

Tomorow hopefully have enough energy to go through it all and make some sort of order out of it. (Probably need to toss some of it)

The boss came out and set up her throne. Then announced she would be supervising.

20170705_192516.jpg
20170705_221418.jpg
20170705_223955.jpg

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:38 am
by glossieblack
Well done Narfi.

Your about ready to build boats. :D

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 am
by terrulian
Quite impressive amount of progress in a short time!
It will be great to have a spacious shop to build your boat(s). You're making two boats, right?

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:26 am
by Jeff
Nice Narfi!!! Love the THRONE!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:19 am
by topwater
Just sink some 4" by 4" s into the floor and build your jig on that. that way you can easily level the the horizontal
2 by 4 s and screw in place. No shimming , no moving.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:28 am
by Jaysen
terrulian wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 am Quite impressive amount of progress in a short time!
Have you notice how LOOONNNNG their days are up there?

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:08 am
by narfi
terrulian wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 am Quite impressive amount of progress in a short time!
It will be great to have a spacious shop to build your boat(s). You're making two boats, right?
That's the plan.
Starting with the hc14 for the learning curve and to get Landon in the water quicker.
Then the fs17.
I have all plywood resin and primer/paint for both here already thanks to BBC so now I just need the time :p
Working 60hr weeks but its light past midnight so doing as much as I can in the evenings.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:41 pm
by poleposition
Narfi,
If you could, can you, or anyone else, provide the link from where you bought this or something similar from? Thanks in advance.....

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:54 pm
by narfi
There are a few places on the internet selling ShelterLogic shelters, I ended up buying from solarhomes.org

http://www.solarhome.org/shelterlogic80 ... rgrey.aspx

They don't stock them, I get the idea that most places dont stock but maybe a few of the smaller more common sizes and most orders are built on demand and drop shipped directly from the manufacture. At least that is how it worked for me.

You can see the price is pretty good, but with shipping it ended up closer to $2150 if i remember right.
If you lived close enough to their manufacturing facility to pick it up yourself, I bet you could save a lot of money.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:01 am
by narfi
Landon out in front of where I work in his blue plastic kayak.
20170706_223715.jpg

Got all my boxes from BBC opened up and on the shelves. Can't give them enough praise for how well they packed it all.

20170706_223828.jpg

There was one rainstorm since it all got here and even though I had several old sheets of plywood laying over the boxes and fiberglass It looks like one of the rolls got a little damp on the packing.
20170706_223742.jpg
Is this a concern?
I removed the cardboard and for now it's just sitting on the shelf wrapped in the plastic it came in.
It's the cloth for the fs17 so probably another month or more till I use it. I think it should be fine but would welcome any advice.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:13 am
by narfi
Forgot I needed to stay up till midnight to change oil on our villages generator.(usage is usually low enough by midnight in the summer we can switch to our smaller generator during the oil change)

Since I was up with another hour to spare I moved all the marine plywood inside.
20170707_001542.jpg

Thus concludes this chapter of my story.
Hopefully we will see a new HC14 build thread started here in the next day or two :p

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:17 am
by Eric1
That's some pretty country up there!
I doubt the water would be a concern after a month of dry time.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 am
by Fuzz
I thought the lake was clear water for some reason? Looks glacier fed in the picture. I see you got three of your favourite things in one picture. Landon, boat, and airplane :D
like Eric said the glass should be fine by the time you get to it.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:07 pm
by narfi
It's defanitly glacier fed.
Not clear at all.
The ground water is delicious though :)

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:22 pm
by Fuzz
Does that kill it for fishing? The glacier fed lakes over here suck for fishing :cry:

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:39 pm
by narfi
I never really got into fishing (heresy here?) but I know people are paying multiple K a week per person to fish here, so I am assuming its not bad..... (though a lot of that is flyout fishing)

From the website for the company I work for,
Rainbow Trout, Arctic Char, Arctic Grayling, Lake Trout, Northern Pike, Sockeye Salmon, Silver Salmon, King Salmon, Pink Salmon, and Chum Salmon
Most fun I've had with fish not involving firearms was in a little skiff at the mouth of a creek here. There were three of us and we took turns. One would keep the boat idled into the current of the mouth, one would throw a line over and pull it into the lap of the 3rd guy who pulled the greyling off and threw it back in, as soon as the hook was free it was back overboard pulling another one in, as fast as we could put the line in we would have another so we all 3 had plenty of fun that day.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:18 am
by narfi
Got a 12 Pac of led tubes off Amazon showed up today.
I got them put up mounted to thin strips of old plywood and held to the tent frames with a couple zip ties at each frame. ( ugly but should hold)

I still need to wire them up. Just the powered switch at one end and a jumper between banks at the other. They came with wire 'couplings to connect the ones in a line to each other which I did while installing them.

I did test each bay individually and they are going to provide all the light ull ever need :)
20170720_231208.jpg
12 Pack Hykolity LED T5 Integrated Tube Light Fixture, 22W 4FT 2200lm 5000K Daylight White, Utility Shop Light for Garage, Basement, Ceiling, Under Ca https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Y4LPBC/re ... nbRFaZhiTI

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:32 am
by Eric1
You are going to love those LEDs! I've replaced all but three of my shop lights with them and they are superb. :D
I will get those last three when I can move some stuff out of the way.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:05 am
by BB Sig
I put 6 eight foot leds in my 14 x 25 pole barn. They are super bright! You found a great deal. That barn of yours will be a great place for a bigger build.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm
by blueflood
That is one serious shelter, narfi. I love it 8)
Should stand up to pretty well anything that one

Marc