Repton's FS 17 scaled at 90%.....Splashed|

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Repton's FS 17 scaled at 90%

Post by jacquesmm »

About the transom height and the motorwell dimensions: those dimensions should NOT be scaled.
Your motor is not scaled, you need a transom height that fits the motor: 20" at the clamp.
Same for the motorwell dimensions or you will hit the bottom of the well and/or the motorwell frame when tilting the motor.
Now, those dimensions are an industry standard and there is safety margin. Check your engine, you may have enough room to tilt the engine with a scaled motorwell.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Repton, did you receive the quote from Reid yesterday? Glad Jacques is back and able to help you immediately!! Jeff

Repton
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Repton »

OK, I will be keeping the motorwell width at 32" as well as retaining the other unscaled motorwell dimensions.

Yes, I received the quote and will be following up probably today.

thanks

Repton
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Repton »

Jig built.
sitting on 4" locking, swivel castors rated at 220 lbs. ea.
Most of the time it will be chocked up over 6 blocks but wanted the ability to roll it around when necessary.
Strongbacks are 32" apart inside measure. Cross pieces are clear of actual frame locations.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Repton, good strong back and you will really appreciate the heavy castors during your build!! Look forward to following your build!! Did you receive a final answer on your last question to Jacques?? Jeff

Repton
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Repton »

Thanks, Jeff.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that I have got it. I think that I have provided too much information relating to thoughts about the transom height and it has obscured the real question that I had relating to the motor well width. I will keep the WIDTH of the motor well at 32" as shown on the plans and not scale it. I'm good now! No current questions.
Looking forward to seeing you guys next week when I come for my materials!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct. The width is critical if you have remote steering: room for the steering tube and cables when tilted.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

Looks like you're making good progress! It'll go together quickly. And you'll love the boat. I've had mine a good ways offshore, and always felt safe. Even in unpleasant chop, it's really manageable if you run 14-17 mph, and it'll stay on plane comfortably at those speeds. I really like the fact that by scaling down (vs. up) you leave a nice safety factor above even the generous amount Jacques factors in.

Repton
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Repton »

Nice to hear from you, Michael. I was going to query you anyway about how your transom height worked out. I am also going with the Suzuki 30 which, as you know, has a shaft length of 22-1/2". I know that you eventually built up your transom and was wondering what you ended up with as far as mounting height and the subsequent distance from the cav. plate to either above or below the bottom of the boat.

Without going back through your posts, what prop did you find that worked the best for you?

I am, like you, not in favor of seeing how many rpm's I can run just to get the W.O.T. range at the recommended 6300 rpm. I really cant see how over propping this very light boat and running at a favorable rpm can put that much strain on the motor. I would be delighted to cruise along at 20 mph at 4500 rpm even it meant slightly over propping than to cruise at the same speed with the "correct" prop at 5500 rpm. Thoughts?

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

I would be delighted to cruise along at 20 mph at 4500 rpm even it meant slightly over propping than to cruise at the same speed with the "correct" prop at 5500 rpm. Thoughts?
My full sized FS17 CC had no problem doing this when powered with my sort of "tired" Yamaha 25 2-stroke with 500 lbs. of crew and gear aboard. In fact last week we were out with 3 adults, 2 kids and gear (total around 750#) and the boat was able to plane at modest power at right around 12kt. in it's current 40hp configuration. With my son at the controls it was easier to get a look at speed, trim etc. These boats don't require a lot of power to perform very nicely. I'd also bet that slight over propping will have very little effect on performance or longevity.

Bill