Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by Jeff »

Fallguy, you need to slow down and take care of yourself!! I had no idea that you were in this shape!! Take it easy and get the surgery!! I have a friend that after having both done, he now golfs better than ever before!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I tried the couch; it is worse!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Best of luck with the hip. If done right you will be mobile pretty quick and in a lot less pain.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Best of luck to you Fallguy. Doing the therapy after the surgery makes all the difference. Make sure they know every where you ache from so that they can cover that in your therapy plan.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Praying you get relief from the surgery. Take care Fallguy.

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 »

I still feel like such a newbie here, and I do not have anything constructive to add to your build, that I have been hesitant to comment on your thread.... I am still trying to figure out and learn about the stitch and glue method, that most of the time I do not even understand the things you discuss about the foam sandwich process, which makes me even more afraid to post something because of not wanting to sound so unknowledgeable. But I have been following your thread since I first found this site a few months ago, and I am looking forward to see the final result. However, seeing the size and scale of the two hulls on that video is something else, and makes it all the more impressive that you are building this cool and nice of a boat yourself! Just wow... It is impressive to say the least.

Best,
Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Grit19 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:45 pm I still feel like such a newbie here, and I do not have anything constructive to add to your build, that I have been hesitant to comment on your thread.... I am still trying to figure out and learn about the stitch and glue method, that most of the time I do not even understand the things you discuss about the foam sandwich process, which makes me even more afraid to post something because of not wanting to sound so unknowledgeable. But I have been following your thread since I first found this site a few months ago, and I am looking forward to see the final result. However, seeing the size and scale of the two hulls on that video is something else, and makes it all the more impressive that you are building this cool and nice of a boat yourself! Just wow... It is impressive to say the least.

Best,
Gib
I would much rather talk boats!

S & G is a great way to build. It is much easier than a foam build. I say this, not to take away from the foam builders, but to empower you.

What makes the two comparable is you are torturing panels to move for you and form round shapes from flat parts. And the main difference is the torturing of the ply is done before glasswork. I glass before torturing which adds a lot of time to the process. A lot. And instead of gluing two ply panels together and radiusing the edges; this method requires preplanning joins to reduce fairing by rebating (if you don't forget).

The scale is interesting because my method is actually a little easier to scale, but only to a certain size and then if fails massively.

It would be a real bugger to build massive boats with s&g or vac bagging to be fair.

Monocoque infusion over any core is the real way to build. I regret not learning panel infusion. It would have used less resin and been much less stressful.

But truly, go for it if you have a dry space to build. The help here is very good.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

It always impresses me how huge your boat is going to be.
Its looking great!

I hope you are able to manage the pain till your surgery. I have been hearing different horror stories of doctors not catching and correcting issues for years from friends around the world this week so its not isolated to north america :/
A friend in the UK has been fighting doctors for years to figure out what is wrong with him and he started actively telling them to give him more tests until they finally did the test he was requesting and found out he has later stage limes disease. They had kept telling him he was fine and ignoring his pain and symptoms, he had to force the issue and now it is much more advanced than it should have been, he is super frustrated with the whole situation.

@Grit19
There are people making some amazing boats on this site, truly inspirational, but you are right, it can be intimidating.
Don't be intimidated. You can build any of the boats they sell plans for here on this site.

I had 0 experience with wood or true composite construction before I started obsessing over builds on this site and started down the path to one of my dreams.
I started with a canoe which built my confidence and understanding immensely and now am building a bigger boat (though nothing near as large or impressive as Fallguys)

If you feel intimidated, I would highly recommend building a canoe or kayak. There are several options for plans sold on this site including a set of free plans if you wish. The plywood and glass and epoxy will only cost you several hundred dollars and while it is a great learning experience and confidence building, it also will get you a beautiful canoe when you are finished. Then you will know you can build any bigger boat here with confidence and knowledge.
Everyone here loves the process and the results of these plans and building process, it is fun and it is productive, it is a great hobby or lifestyle.
I highly recommend you not only keep reading what people are doing here, but also join in and start building something of your own!

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Fallguy, I can only reiterate what others have said... the scale of your build is truly immense - and seeing the video "walkaround" only reinforced this (especially the part showing the ladder going down into the hull - will there be full standing height inside the hulls?).
I wish you a pain free few months until your surgery.
I hope your surgery goes to plan and you can resume normal duties (including boatbuilding) ASAP afterwards.

Cheers,
Reefie
"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The hulls are sort of minimalistic use. They have a stairs that leads to a bunk. Above the bunk a fire escape. Standing headroom when entering; then you'd naturally sit on the bed edge or stand to dress. A single bunk in each hull.

The hulls have a nice forward locker, the bunk, the steps/dressing area, the fuel tanks, a locker or livewell and battery and actuator area.

Both hulls have a single bed and the cabin will have a big queen for me n Mrs. Fall. So, the rig sleeps four with couples separated so there is no boat rockin!