Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Laminating to the unfinished portion behind the wheel around the cutouts?

Vacuum, maybe, if you can get a good seal around it. I suspect you’re the vacuum bag whisperer by now.

For a guy without a vacuum pump I’d try clamping a platen over the panel though the cutouts.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Just an idea...

I know you have spent a lot of time, energy, and a bit of coin to build the aluminum frame for the windscreen, but I'm not sure you need it. It also looks out of place to me compared to all the other work you have done. If you have a lip to attach the bottom to, simply making it alone out of 3/8" lexan or plexiglass should be stiff enough to withstand any wind you will encounter, and it will look much cleaner. You can round over the corners to give a softer appearance as well.

Here's a couple of videos on bending plexi and making one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B51HkHNGAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Za7N87qI4

Like I said...just an idea. The one you have will work just fine, and in truth will be sturdier.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:14 am Just an idea...

I know you have spent a lot of time, energy, and a bit of coin to build the aluminum frame for the windscreen, but I'm not sure you need it. It also looks out of place to me compared to all the other work you have done. If you have a lip to attach the bottom to, simply making it alone out of 3/8" lexan or plexiglass should be stiff enough to withstand any wind you will encounter, and it will look much cleaner. You can round over the corners to give a softer appearance as well.

Here's a couple of videos on bending plexi and making one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B51HkHNGAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Za7N87qI4

Like I said...just an idea. The one you have will work just fine, and in truth will be sturdier.
There is a hardtop I need to mount above it and be able to remove.

I completely agree with the sentiment, but just not possible and I have decided not worth the effort to edge bond the lexan either.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:21 am Laminating to the unfinished portion behind the wheel around the cutouts?

Vacuum, maybe, if you can get a good seal around it. I suspect you’re the vacuum bag whisperer by now.

For a guy without a vacuum pump I’d try clamping a platen over the panel though the cutouts.
Actually, a caul would be a good idea. Much easier. I will have to hole the carbon a bit, but this is planned anyhow. I will need to be really careful as the face is a high gloss finished surface...!!!

cape man

Post by cape man »

There is a hardtop I need to mount above it and be able to remove.

I completely agree with the sentiment, but just not possible and I have decided not worth the effort to edge bond the lexan either.
Build On!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

More panels are on the vac table. These are actually all reverse sides and laminating the saddle which is the third time this part has been in the bag. And last for all five.

Wiring work as well. This is complicated.

B6D8CA2B-4BC1-496F-8737-C60EBABCBFAB.jpeg
EDC9F1F1-66C4-4E93-8221-415F505FD967.jpeg
CC55DBA3-843F-492E-B492-987BED76E9ED.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice clean work FallGuy!!! Jeff

ctbeutel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ctbeutel »

Amazing work as always. Where did you source the rubber grommets the wires are passing through? Thanks!
Owner of a FS18, completed FS12.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

ctbeutel wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:08 am Amazing work as always. Where did you source the rubber grommets the wires are passing through? Thanks!
I bought these at a local store, but found them online. I paid about $4 and used one on each side of each wire to keep the wire off the glass, so they cost $16 for me. I drilled a 3/4" hole, but might have gone an inch if I had the right bit. On Amazon, they are like $6, so would cost $25 to come across a bh with both. I need one more wire to come through (at least) for a line from the battery to switch remotes.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-3005 ... th=1&psc=1

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Your wiring looks nice but I didn't see any drip loops in them for when moisture collects on them. The water will condensate enough to form drips that follow the wire to the terminals and corrode faster. Maybe a little cotton string tied at the lowest points will direct the drips away. Works the same as a lightning rod but for moisture.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne