Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by TomW1 »

Nice Hoop House fallguy. One precaution. If your going to use it in your snowy winters make sure you can heat it to melt the snow off as it comes down. In the winter of 93 I had just put up my big green house and blizzard hit dumping 3' of snow over 2 days. I needed every BTU I had to keep the snow melting off. My over wintering sheds did not do so well even though we went out every hour and swept the snow off them.

The heat depending on how many BTU's you get and the clear film you use will let you work in there all winter.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looking really good Fallguy!!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

All the way up.

Here is an in process.
542FC2DE-A3A8-4E61-BBAC-B18C9C1A4A0C.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Big garage for a big boat!!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FallGuy, are you going to be able to heat the new garage?? Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

We use similar greenhouses here at work for our fish. If you have enough plastic, put two layers over the tops, and install a small fan/blower in the bottom of the inside layer to inflate a space between the two layers.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... gLehfD_BwE

It is amazing how much that will help with insulating it at night and still allow for solar heating during the day. We use propane heaters for the worst nights here in the winter, but those are probably equal to a fall night for you. :roll: :help: We are dealing with tropical fish that don't like anything below 70 degrees...

Of course the other tip is to make sure you have solid seals everywhere, especially the door(s).
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:34 pm FallGuy, are you going to be able to heat the new garage?? Jeff
No desire to heat it.

I have 100,000 btu blower, but the only reason I'd run it is if we had an ice storm or something.

The cabin spaces can be heated with electric heaters as I work on them, but no exterior work can be done at low temps where epoxies and paints won't cure. There is plenty of work to do inside and laminating that can be done in the other space. The best thing is I have my garage spaces for piecework.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The main reason for the tent is to deal with precip. It rains here a lot in April and May and I can paint if the weather is warm enough.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Glazing materials must transmit the maximum of amount of sunlight to the crop while also holding heat gain or loss to a minimum. The use of double layers of film can add insulating value to the glazing system with only a small reduction in light transmittance. When polyethylene film is used, this system is called double poly and utilizes an air space inflated by a small fan to provide good insulating characteristics. When compared to a single layer of polyethylene film, the double poly system can provide reductions of 35 to 40 percent in heat loss with a 10 percent reduction in light transmission.

From one of our extension pubs...

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae016
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:00 pm Glazing materials must transmit the maximum of amount of sunlight to the crop while also holding heat gain or loss to a minimum. The use of double layers of film can add insulating value to the glazing system with only a small reduction in light transmittance. When polyethylene film is used, this system is called double poly and utilizes an air space inflated by a small fan to provide good insulating characteristics. When compared to a single layer of polyethylene film, the double poly system can provide reductions of 35 to 40 percent in heat loss with a 10 percent reduction in light transmission.

From one of our extension pubs...

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae016
All well and good capeman, but here in Minnesota, we often have full weeks of weather below 0F. Oftentimes, it is colder here than Anchorage because they have the sea to temper the weather.

Once we get to about November 15, I will cease almost all epoxy work and shift focus to systems and cabins that are heated.

The tent is 30x40. So we have 700 feet on the ends and 1800 on the hoops or 2500 square feet of heat loss area. Just too much for Minnesota winters. Plus, I am tough. I can deal with cool weather; but epoxy and paint not so much.

Time to project plan hard to get all the stuff done that I can related to epoxy outside.