Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

Then we leveled the vac table like 600 ways. We used lasers and winding sticks and levels and crying babies and divining rods and stuff I can't talk about. Yes, that is a boat inside there getting some epoxy work done to it. Helps with the scale a bit. It is a 15' boat.
Photo Jul 19, 7 29 10 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 19, 7 29 10 AM.jpg (28.28 KiB) Viewed 8341 times
Then we lost the boat and added a cutting table.
Photo Aug 01, 3 30 09 PM.jpg
Then we put 96 ounces of epoxy on the vacuum table in two shots. We tried to put a release film frame on it, but it broke. Sorry about the upside down picture. Not going to change it. The table is 1" MDF with epoxy/cab joins and some quikfair at the joins. I need to epoxy the edges yet to avoid any trouble with moisture.
Photo Aug 03, 9 24 28 PM (1).jpg
Then after sanding the entire table to 400 grit, we waxed the table. It is a lot of work. Did I mention a lot of work? This picture is before the wax is wiped off. We did four coats of wax and will recoat the table after each shot. These parts are too big and the table too much work to take any chances.
Photo Aug 08, 2 01 28 PM (1).jpg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Then yesterday after summer vacations and family obligations; we finally made some parts. These two panels are supposed to go in the bottom of the boat between a flat section and the for'd vee. I ran the vacuum at 29 for about 6 minutes and then took it back to 26 for the cure after the resin had drawn all the way into the breather at that point. I used Silvertip Slow hardener for this shot with 110% resin to glass or 55% resin. I didn't use all the resin, but my outside corecell layup was a little drier than it should have been. The panels released from the table, but they failed. I'll explain in my next post; it was a rookie mistake.
Photo Aug 11, 4 57 48 PM (1).jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks to Jamie for fixing the pictures. If they are still wrong for you. Hit CTRL and F5 and your screens will refresh correctly. This means you for sure pee wee!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fallguy1000, Thank you for taking the time to start this thread!! I am confident that all of our forum members/builders will enjoy following your build of the Skoota 32!! I am looking forward to understanding the vacuum bagging process of the CoreCell!!! Congrats on the start and I look forward to watching and learning from a far!!! By the way, the shop looks great!! Jeff

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

No Problem Fallguy! I'm liking your setup. Hope the next batch of parts works out better. We might ought to find out just exactly what type of Vinyl you used, so we can recommend against using it with epoxy. You'd want to do a test batch on the same stuff, but if you use some PVA (mold release) it should work as expected. Can't wait to see how a vac-bagged SK32 rides. I did put your post in the Build Threads page as well.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

About the failure.

The Skoota panels have rebates just like sheet rock tapers in them. The rebates are steps that are designed to reduce panel fairing. I used vinyl as the placeholder or step that keeps the fiberglass up to the panel on the vac table.

Unfortunately, the vinyl had a reaction with the epoxy and man is that stuff stuck. It is permanent. The green tapes were just little pieces used to hold the rebates true to on the table.
Photo Aug 12, 12 51 02 PM.jpg
When I used a utility knife and pliers, it came off in a bigger chunk, but it basically was cutting the fiberglass apart like a reef would.
Photo Aug 12, 12 50 47 PM.jpg
The rest of the panel looked great.
Photo Aug 12, 12 53 01 PM.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

About the boat a bit.

It is designed as a semi-displacement hull with a light ship speed plan of about 25mph. We'll see. I won't be sad if I get anything about 20mph. Less than that and I'll be a little bummed.

The boat is designed for fuel economy and it should get 6 mpg at cruise.

And it is designed to be taken apart for transport. The hulls are just under 48" wide each and would sit side by side on a trailer legally.

It has two large single bunks in the hulls with ample space in the hulls for changing clothes, and perhaps even a place for a small child as well on the floor.

Vessel range will be dependent upon tanks and final real fuel numbers, but I think we'll end up around 500. It is a Class B vessel, so we didn't need more range than that.

Richard Woods worked with me on the design a bit. The boat has boarding openings that double purpose as wave release/swim ladder spots/large fish landings. It has an exterior helm that overviews the cabin and I will be adding livewell/baitwell. The boat was designed to split the cockpit space and the cabin space about even. The cockpit is about 13' wide by 8' deep and has the helm and a table in that space, but lots of room for fishing. The cabin is 13' long and 8' wide (for trailerability). The cabin has a small galley, composting toilet and shower, and a large salon that'll drop into a large double bed. The cabin has a wide open view of the world with the exception of the toilet on one corner (same corner as the helm).

As in all Richard's designs, the boat has significant bridgedeck clearance. We will provide propane and electric and debating about shore power as well.

As of this moment, I need some Plexiglas !

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Looking forward to this build! Thanks for starting a build thread. :D

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Sunday's parts turned out better.

I used gorilla shipping tape over the rebates I made and they released just fine.

I need to cut the peelply a little larger.

And I realized my transom angle was less than 12 degrees because I measured it from the bottom rake and not the waterline. Good news is I can adjust it all as nothing is made but for the frame to support the transom build work and that is removable for taping. Some other guys said 12 degrees wasn't enough, but I'm sticking with Richard Wood's spec on that one.

Today, we will build the other flat section of the bottom, and layout the sidepanels and see if my measures work.

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Ill enjoy watching this,typically when vac bagging you dont go over 50% vacuum,Curious why your going up so high then backing off?Doesnt that create air pockets?