Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by TomW1 »

Fallguy glad you got the electrical figured out. Don't worry about the pics just keep working on that beautiful boat. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The Furuno FI-70 turned on automatically with the NEMA network. The source of power for the display is the NEMA network. The cabin power is turned on and the N2K turns on and is used by the DC distribution system.

Who wants a display to turn on when you power cabin lights? Not me.

So, I spent days trying for a solution.

I won't go into all the details of what I tried.

What worked was to isolate the offending device in its own isolated N2K network using an isolation tee and its own power and required removing the shielding from the 2nd network's power tee.

Anyhow, pita. About 4 days of messing around in 90-100 degree heat.

The system seems to be stable and happy now.

It sound quite awful, but the underlying cause is the use of the N2K network for power and the device behavior.

The network itself and the dc distribution can all be bypassed. Probably lose autopilot without the network.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

As promised, finally a 3rd coat of S3 yacht primer on the helm riser, one hatch lid and the binnacle base.

Sanding tomorrow.
24A0AB16-378F-472C-A58B-0BF09B4874BE.jpeg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:00 am The Furuno FI-70 turned on automatically with the NEMA network. The source of power for the display is the NEMA network. The cabin power is turned on and the N2K turns on and is used by the DC distribution system.

Who wants a display to turn on when you power cabin lights? Not me.

So, I spent days trying for a solution.

I won't go into all the details of what I tried.

What worked was to isolate the offending device in its own isolated N2K network using an isolation tee and its own power and required removing the shielding from the 2nd network's power tee.

Anyhow, pita. About 4 days of messing around in 90-100 degree heat.

The system seems to be stable and happy now.

It sound quite awful, but the underlying cause is the use of the N2K network for power and the device behavior.

The network itself and the dc distribution can all be bypassed. Probably lose autopilot without the network.
I have to learn all this when I go to start connecting all my stuff. I am just thankful I have no cabin lights! :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Back is on the fritz today. Helm riser is bolted on!
5144493E-1936-4ED9-95A5-0493F04E421B.jpeg

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

really looking great!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very, very nicely done Fallguy!!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I took a gamble and used Systems 3 primer and Epifanes two part and there were zero fisheyes this time.

I think the fisheyes might have been from compressed air.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

You and your over doing it! Hope you relax long enough for your back to heal up at the least a little. "shaking head"

That helm station is really looking good even with all the junk every where. And that is not a reason for you to strain your back even more to get everything cleaned up, it is looking really good. Freakin stubborn dang Yankee. But you will fit in nicely once you get down here! :lol: Texans are know for doing everything by themselves. (Lone Star)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fallguy, what is that stainless steel looking thing with the vents near the bottom? Stove?
A. A. Milne