Reefie's LB26

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Reefie's LB26

Post by reefie »

Hi all,

Managed to gain myself a spare day today so I seized opportunity and glassed the port bottom plate.
I'm inching slowly ever closer to finishing the hull laminations.

Happy building!

Reefie
"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Said it before and I'll say it again, beautiful boat lines and extremely impressive lamination! So smooth 8O

Love following along with your build.

Question, are you heading into spring down under? Grew up on a farm in Idaho and know that spring is a crazy busy time on a farm.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Impressive, very impressive!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work Reefie!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

What is your resin pot temp before and after mixing?

Are you heating resin only?

For a 2:1 epoxy a guy would need to heat both and run smaller batches.

The thing looks really great and very bubble free.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Wow! Very nice

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Thanks for you kind words piperdown, OrangeQuest, Jeff, Fallguy and Bogieman. Every time I enter the "boat shed" I am always so impressed with JM's beautiful LB26 design, and I am on a mission to do it it justice!

piperdown wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:53 am Question, are you heading into spring down under? Grew up on a farm in Idaho and know that spring is a crazy busy time on a farm.
Yes we are, and you are right... things are about to get real busy. My goal is to finish off the external hull laminations within the next few weeks so that I can tackle some of the littler jobs that are able to have an hour or two thrown at them, when time permits, in-between the upcoming hectic farm work.

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am What is your resin pot temp before and after mixing?
To be honest, I have never measured it. I just adjust the electric blanket thermostat based on how easy or hard it is to push through the dispensing pumps - too thick and I dial up the temp one setting, too runny and I dial it down one. The electric blanket keeps the temp pretty stable and I really only need to adjust the setting as the seasons change. The ambient temp in my shed varies minimally - in winter mostly between 12 to 18 deg C (54 to 64 deg F) and in summer mostly between 16 to 27 deg C (60 to 80 deg F).
In winter I have the electric blanket on heat setting 2 (but may crank up to 3 on occasion), in spring and autumn on heat setting one (but may crank up to 2 on occasion), and when summer temps kick in I do not need to heat the epoxy.
If I were to guess my ideal resin temp, I would say probably something like about 23 to 25 deg C (73 to 77 deg F).

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am Are you heating resin only?
I am heating both, so the resin temp before and after mixing is the same.

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am For a 2:1 epoxy a guy would need to heat both and run smaller batches.
I recon so.

Cheers,
Reefie
"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie »

Still chipping away at it guys.

Sanded the port topside plate and overlaps in prep for glassing.

Layed out the glass.

And did the glassing today.

Only the starboard topside plate to go and then all the external hull laminations will be complete!!!

Happy building.

Reefie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work Reefie!! Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Dayum! That is still some of the smoothest glass work! 8O

Those full shop pics, with tools as a reference, really hammer home how big that boat is. It going to be a show room piece when you're done!

Sounds like you have a good plan for spring planting where you can nibble away an hour here or there with stuff. I recall April-June (depending on the weather) Dad and I running the tractors non stop before and after school, plus all the little things that go into spring planting. Then not much during summer except moving siphon tubes and gated pipe (where I grew up all fields were irrigated), which only took about 2 hours per day. Fall got as crazy as spring with harvest and prep the fields for winter.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain