The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by narfi »

Easier to screw up too :p
But its all about compromises.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I'd say the screw ups are equal but different. With spraying, once you get your gun set right, you run the risks of of sags mostly. With roll and tip you have drips and brush marks.
Spraying is easier on a big project to me cause blending light coats is simple and no air bubbles. Rolling and tipping you run into issues blending cause its drying as you are trying to knock down the air bubbles.

I've sprayed in the past, but the last time was when I repainted my jeep 6 years ago. I dont have any of the equipment anymore, and this boat barely fits in the garage making maneuvering with a gun near impossible.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Total respect for your willingness/ability to push on despite the myriad obstacles and setbacks. Inspiring!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Thanks, but it keeps pushing back. Each time getting worse it seems.

I tried to apply a second coat of brightsides. I started around 8am, and ended around 11am, but it did not go any better. It actually tacked over faster and made painting much harder no matter how much brushing thinner I used. It's just way to hot to be doing this now. The days are to hot and the nights and early mornings are to humid.

I have 2 options. #1 the smart thing to do is shelve it for a few months until cooler weather comes around. #2 just slap some paint on it to get it done so I can fish already. Obviously I'm not going with option #1.

Outside of not applying well I ran into another issue. The paint is very streaky like it is rejecting the pigment. The tint I pigment I used is the same that I have used before on resins, and other paints (rustoleum, perfection, and a trial with an old can of brightsides). Never had any issues until now.
20200719_131718.jpg
Those white streaks in the middle are not glare. So FML, lol.

It sucks, but I gotta move on. I have one more play, and that is the Rustoleum marine. I think I might just go buy a cheap spray gun, and give it a go. It can't be any worse right? I don't think I'll be able to roll and tip in this weather.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

There are a couple small blemishes, but honestly that looks fine to me.... are you sure you arent being too hard on yourself?

How much would it cost to pull into a paint shop if you have done all the prep and they just need to spray? They have the equipment and the proper environment for it, and you don't have to learn a new skill at the last minute.

Just a thought, but honestly, if it all looks as good as your last picture, you should probably just be happy with it and go with it :)

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

My first coat I didn't wait for the induction before adding the reducer. Orange peel and gummy by the end. Second coat and a storm came through before it was dry and blew dust from outside the tent. 4th coat the roller went to hell on the last part of the console. At that point I said so what. No one has said she's ugly, in fact just the opposite. Go fishing!

Seriously, accept it and move on. Your boat will be gorgeous! I spent $1000 and 4 weeks plus prepping and repainting and didn't get what I hoped for, but I've been fishing and boating half a dozen times in the past two months. Everytime at the ramp, going or coming I get compliments and nothing about the less than perfect paint. Once you get the non-skid and all the hardware on she will look fine.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I can deal with the dust and blemishes, but the picture doesn't tell the whole story. You gotta see it, its tiger striped in blue and white and looks very obvious. If all I were doing is the top cap I'd move on and say screw it, but the sides will look like crap too. Being this boat took 6 times longer then my last did, and I didn't have to design this one, I'm honestly embarrassed at how its coming out.

I figure my disappointment in this boat should come at some benefit, so why not practice spraying? I've done it before, its just been a while. This way when I start building her replacement, sooner rather then later, I'll be good to go.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Pictures do not always tell the entire story, however based on that last one you sent over, I would move on.
I said to myself multiple times, it's mine and its ok. If I was building for someone else and didn't have a deadline...I would fix the issues I see on my build. I have drips and dust spots too. I also struggled a bit with the Awlgrip not covering previous coats, but ultimately I want to go fishing too as Capeman said. I too noticed streaking with the Awlgrip. Especially the blue. First coat mixed by hand and could see swirls of base whites and dye blues as I stirred. Second coat I used a paint paddle on a cordless drill. Didn't really help...and I had major issues with my coat #2 but I think that was surface prep more. My coat #3 was hand stirred. Same swirls. As the coats layered...much of that translucent appearance faded.
Just sharing some thoughts of what I went through. Based on what I see in that picture as an example ...it will look great! Good luck!

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I appreciate it. The issue is actually getting worse as I put more coats on. I guess this pigment is not fully compatible with the polyurethane, which is weird cause I used it before with success. There are entire sections of my rub rail and gunnels that almost appear white, while others have streaks of darker blue. It's ok, I'm not mad cause it's most likely my fault. I just gotta move on.

Rollbar1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rollbar1 »

Very nice!
Approximately how much do you have in the boat?
Wife saw your build and asked me.
Thanks,
JB
Ascend FS128T "The Yacht" with a MotorGuide 30lb TM.
Upcoming: Sabine 19'x6'5" Flats Boat build.