The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by narfi »

I see a lot of different levels of finish here on the forum, and its easy to see you hold yourself to a higher standard. (all weave and tape lines are faired to invisible, the seams are faired to invisible, everything is glass smooth.
You are suffering setbacks, but your attention to detail now even with the issues is going to give you a very nice boat, in time the memory of frustration will likely fade and your pride in a job well done will remain.

We started around the same time, had similar goals and expectations in terms of time and looks, we have stayed pretty much neck in neck the whole way with our delays, we are near the end now, don't let it get you down :)

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Sorry to hear about your setbacks.

I’ve built five boats and during each build there was something that didn’t go according to plan. Mostly everything took longer than intended, something didn’t cure correctly, sometimes things cured too fast. Paint adhesion issues. You name it. Even after the boats were built there were sometimes things to modify, fix or replace.

Every time I talk to my brother after he uses the FS19 I am relieved when he says that the boat is running great.

It is particularly hard when you get to the sand, fair, prime and paint stage because it so time consuming and there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of forward progress despite the large amount of effort expended.

I feel your pain.

Despite all of the setbacks, it does not diminish the excellent work that you have done and the years of enjoyment that you will get from your completed boat. It feels especially good when someone stops you at the gas station or boat ramp and compliments you on the boat that you built. Be prepared, sometimes it can be time consuming to answer the questions that people have about the finished boat.

Keep up the good work and know that you are not alone. My guess is that most of the builders on the forum have experienced a few setbacks along the way. Some admit to them, but a few might be too embarrassed to air their mistakes in public. I applaud you for sharing your troubles as you may have just warned a future builder that the particular paint you’ve been using requires unusual care in its use.

It may seem far off but sometime in the future you will get a laugh about it.

Until then, best wishes for continued success.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I can't paint. I'm good with it. Your boat is gorgeous.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Fuzz, I had a black cat for all my other builds. We had to put him down a few years back and now shit went sideways, lol. I really can't figure out why so much went wrong this time, but I'll figure it out before the next build.

Nafari, the pics are a bit deceptive, I still have plenty of waves and a few tape lines here and there. That said, as this is my 4th build I did have high expectations of the finish. I spent a considerable amount of time and money, but as Fuzz noted there seems to be a black cloud following me. Your boat will be nicer then mine from what I've seen, and I hope you get it on the water soon. I'll keep plugging along, it's all I can do right, lol.

Browndog, as an experienced builder, like you said, I expected a few setback. This build just feels like a huge cluster of them. The other 3 boats I built, at least in my mind, seemed to go along much easier. Even the first that I counted as a learning experience. I do agree getting stopped at the ramp or at a gas station is a good feeling. My last boat that I designed, The Plytanic, got questions constantly. I even got a few offers to build a copy for decent money. I have talked to many guys on the side, and you are right, they don't want to post their failures. I think I'm a pretty honest guy, so if I mess up I admit to it cause you never know who it might help. I hope the future is not very far off, I just got a coat of primer down on the exterior again. Thanks.

Cape man, apparently I can't paint either, lol. I will say on my next project I will set up to spray everything. no more roll and tip jobs I think.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I can NOT cut a straight line nor can I follow a line. Even with a guide I find a way to screw it up. That's why I like working with epoxy, easy to hide everything. That said, my line cutting skills are pretty good when you compare them to how I paint.

silentneko, you have came up with a lot of great ways to do things and I for one have learned a lot just following your build. You explain things so even a simpleton such as myself can understand them, even though I still ask a lot of questions. You overcome where others would have given up, this too, you will beat. I just hope once you get her splashed you have another project in the works!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

What’s that old saying? It’s not the boat you’ve built until you have bleed on it sworn at it and threatened to take it out the back and burn it.

Try a regular oil paint? Easy to touch up and Foolproof.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Thanks OQ. I am a simpleton so I just write instructions for me to refer back on, lol. I do have a few more ideas for future builds, but this will be my last wood core build.

OWT, she has a bit of blood, and some 😢. Hind sight being 20/20 rustoleum marine would have been my choice, but i goofed up and bought brightsides.

I've put in some hours this week sanding, priming, sanding, and priming, and sanding.....  definition of insanity! I don't think it's getting much better. The only thing I plan to use the epoxy primer on now are the hatch lids. 

So while planning to paint this week I realized that rolling and tipping, even at 5am and 76 degrees, will be hard by myself to do the whole outside. So I'm gonna break it up a bit. If everything works out I'll put the first coat on the cap in the morning. Once it sets I'll continue sanding the sides, they will be painted in a few days. 

That's the plan, I'm sure it will go sideways. Next project I will just spray it all at once.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Work time was what I thought, dry to touch though hasn't happened yet. I woke up at 5am and went to work, done with the cap by 7am. Even though it was 74 outside, my garage retains heat so it was near 80. At 75 degrees it should dry to the touch in 2 hours. Here we are 3 hours later and its still wet. And its getting a ton of dust, and a few bugs. I was hoping it would be dry to the touch by now so I could start working on the sides, but with it wet I need to stay away.

It will be good enough, but truth be told I'm kind of regretting my purchase, again. Seeing how much dust it's getting, because it's to big to set up a makeshift paintbrush that works right, I wish I went with rustoleum. No its not a better paint, but it is polishable so I'd be able to deal more with dust. Oh well, moving on.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I have no experience with rolling and tipping at all, so maybe this is a stupid question.....
The cure times must depend on application thickness right? Is it possible that rolling lays it on heavier and therefor takes longer to cure than advertised? Just a thought anyways.....

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

It is typically a little thicker, but the paints usually have drying times for both roll and spray. The 2 hours was for both. Its a single stage paint so a lot more effects it. It will dry eventually.

I'll figure out a way to spray in the future. Way more prep, but its just easier on the application side.