The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko »

I got the water issue handled. The added dessicant filter combined with drafting air from inside the house via a hose worked well.

That's the good news. The bad news is the boat looks like shit. I had to sand off the primer I applied because it was rough and hardened like cement. Normally the hardening is a good thing, but the texture from the roller made me have to grind past it in some spots. This exposed the EMC under it which was softer, leading to some burn through. In the end I had to grind down most of the sides and transom again. This in turn made them pretty wavy and exposed a tone of pin holes i previously covered up.

I decided to go ahead and do a coat of rustoleum just to see what happens. Well I was fighting the compressor dropping in pressure. The tube I had running to the inside was getting pinched at the filter. I removed it and it worked better, but I still didn't get a smooth coat.

It's pretty horrible. Embarrassing really. I'm going to do another coat, sand with 320, and do one more and call it for the exterior.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

With that said, I am really starting to struggle with the financial aspect of this build. I'm not happy with the boat at all, and I'm sure I am north of 10k already. Looking over her today I can see there is not a straight edge or panel in the boat thanks to the early issues, and the floor still has a tone of flex despite being reinforced.

Since I'm not happy, does it make sense to drop another 7k on a motor? I have no alternatives here since you can't find a decent used one these days, and if you do they want near new prices.

So my choices are dump 7k into this boat, or say I speny 3 years of my life and move on to a different project. I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement over the years, but I really need to find a path forward as my kids are growing quick.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I spent a lot of time and effort into making mine look as good as I could and while I am happy with the result, there are lots of flaws there still.
After each of the first two trips out I pulled it into the back yard and rinsed it off really well. Since then we haven't.... It is full of sand and bark and spilled coffee and a punctured soda can...... hauling Landons Kayak and canoe around has scratched spots, etc......

Once you are on the water, you wont care about the looks, your kids wont care about the looks, you will just be enjoying life. And to be honest, it will look good, just not the art project we each pictured during our hours of sanding.

I forget where you live, but perhaps wait another month when people start selling their summer toys in preparation for buying winter toys and see if you can find a good deal?

Alternatively buy a good new motor now you know will give you no issues and go have fun.

For a bit of perspective, I see two extremes on this forum,
I have seen many boats launched here where the weave on the tape for all seams is still visible. - they ended up with a structurally sound boat they could take out and have fun with as quickly as they could and were happy with it.
I have seen many boats launched here with meticulous fairing, priming, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding to 300+, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting till it was show quality. they were also happy with their boats.

I never sanded finer than 120 before painting mine and it came out glossy and fine. (other than the very fine my wife used to polish some scrapes i put on the consoles moving them before cured)

Everyone has been encouraging because we want you to succede, it is obvious how much work you have put into it, and we want you to be as happy with your boat as we are with ours.... nearly all of that is perspective though..... Pictures always look pretty and don't show the flaws, people taking pictures (usually) try to show the good side of their projects, even when I try to show the flaws and mistakes I made doing mine, the pictures ended up looking nice...... Recognize that when forming your expectations for yourself..... It isnt going to be as nice as the pictures you see here, but it will be as nice or nicer than the reality of the subjects of the pictures here.....

Bottom line, stop your **** get a motor and take your kids out for some well deserved fun. :)

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Thanks Narfi, I needed that, lol.

I think the part that is most disappointing to me is this isn't my first build. This is my 4th and by far the worst fit and finish I've managed imho.

A consideration to keep going is what happens in 2-3 years. I'm already planning a replacement, but the 60hp might not be enough for it. My family just wants me to join a boat club, I'm not there just yet.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Throw some paint on, buy an engine, finish the wiring and hardware and take the kids out. My orange peel, drips, chunks of dirt in the paint don't bother me anymore, nor does the wonky lines on the chine that I never fixed., and the hatches that don't seal like i wanted, or the.....

Seriously. You are being too hard on yourself and have too much time and money in it to walk away.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I'm just trying to justify 3 years of my life. I don't even care about the money much, but I can't get the time back and I feel it was wasted mostly.

My paint drama continues. I just messed up this coat so bad I'll need to grind it off again. Drip city. It was my fault this time as I tried to get the tight edge under the rub rail. I'm switching back to rollers. Not even going to tip it, just sand it down, roll on a coat and move on with my life. I was just talking with my wife about how much work is left before I can even get it inspected. Lots.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

SilentNiko, have you considered a vinyl boat wrap? Cost would be comparable to a good paint job if done professionally and you could get one with a loud design. Would cover and break up the fairing issues.

https://www.fishing.net.nz/fishing-advi ... oat-wraps/

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

silentneko wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:30 pm I'm just trying to justify 3 years of my life. I don't even care about the money much, but I can't get the time back and I feel it was wasted mostly.

My paint drama continues. I just messed up this coat so bad I'll need to grind it off again. Drip city. It was my fault this time as I tried to get the tight edge under the rub rail. I'm switching back to rollers. Not even going to tip it, just sand it down, roll on a coat and move on with my life. I was just talking with my wife about how much work is left before I can even get it inspected. Lots.
I was going to suggest you just roll paint or pay someone to spray it and get on the water. If you like the boat you can make the paint better a few years down the road, but for right now you aren't enjoying the process, especially spraying, so get it done and out on the water as soon as you can.

You may not love the aesthetics for the time you've put in but you are most of the way towards a capable boat, so at least get that out of it. Just my 2 cents, hope you are able to find a way forward that works for you. There are a ton of wonderful boats without a perfect finish that people get years of enjoyment from.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Wraps cost to much and a pro paint job is more then this hull is worth. If something doesn't go well soon I might just camo it to hide everything. I'm going to finish it because I don't know what else to do. How long I actually keep it before building a better hull I don't know.

It's just a head game now. I've built 3 other boats, several cars, a few motorcycles, and quite a few houses in my youth, but never had a cursed project before.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

While some of the guys build works of art not all of us do. And the ones with a few warts get enjoyed just as much or more. There is such a thing as having one that is too nice to enjoy using :wink: Have a good buddy with a million dollar sport fisher. Dang thing has white leather furniture. How the heck do you catch fish on something like that :help: Only thing it is good for is rounding up bikinis that will fit in a shot glass :D