The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by Bogieman »

I say build on! She might not be perfect in your eyes but for those of us who followed your build we know she’s built well. For what it’s worth I spent a lot of time on tipsy‘s paint job but after having her out a dozen times she’s already dinged up and no longer looks new -now I question whether or not it was worth putting that much time and effort in to begin with. In the end ( I think) the most important is the quality of construction😀👍

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Well it’s been a bit since I posted. Progress has been made. I rolled on some rustoleum on the exterior. She has some roller marks, brush marks, orange peel, drips, and a few bugs, but it looks good enough from 20ft away so good enough. I also rolled some satin white on the cap with similar results, but much of it will be covered up by non skid.

With that done I am able to work on some other things before painting the interior. I started the rub rail. So Tessilmare likes to brag that their rub rail can make it around a tight corner, well I’m calling BS on their definition. The videos they post show you how to go around a maybe 3” radius which is tight on a 40ft yatch, but not on a skiff. I’ve found personal youtube videos, but none that show a great bit of detail. The track will NOT bend around a sharp corner, as soon as I tried it folded over and warped. So I had to just cut the track and I’ll work out the rubber later.

Image20201020_112317_resized , on Flickr

You can see how the rubber distorts, but I’m hoping I can clean it up later with a heat gun. It’s a bit worse around the bow.

Image20201020_112303_resized , on Flickr

So back to the track. It’s a bitch to install! It comes in a coil and it is ridged plastic. I tried to straighten it but it resists a lot. I ended up just muscling it for the starboard half, and it took nearly 2 hours. For the port side my wife was able to help, and with her just managing the coil I had it drilled and screwed in about 20 minutes. I need to add a few more screws still. My plan is to let it relax for a week or 2 while I work on other things, then I’ll remove the track squirt some epoxy in the screw holes, let it cure, then dab them with some 4200 and reinstall everything.

Image20201020_121954_resized , on Flickr

Among some other small items I was able to install the navigation lights I got from Oznium. They are barely noticeable in person, unlike the giant sharkeyes I was going to use.

Image20201020_122015_resized , on Flickr

Installed the rear cleats, hinges, and stern light.

Image20201020_122041_resized , on Flickr

Also did the fittings for the livewell, bilge pump, livewell pump (still have to intall the scoop), stern and bow eyes, and the underwater LED’s.

Image20201020_122050_resized , on Flickr

I finished up most of the rear wiring. Working through that tiny inspection hatch is a pain, so I might need to change it out for a bigger hatch.

Image20201021_135124_resized , on Flickr

Image20201021_135047_resized , on Flickr

More to come.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

good to see you back at it!!!!
Good looking progress too.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

:D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I had a heck of a time with the track myself. I am told if it is hot outside and you can lay it out you can get it to lay flat. I do not know if it works as it was below zero when I installed it.
Your boat is coming along nicely.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Good to see you at it again! Boat seams to be coming along nicely.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I tried setting it in the sun, it never got hot enough to help. Neither did a heat gun help with uncoiling it.

I'm slapping paint on when I can, and while waiting for it to dry I'm doing some small things. Some minor electrical, some more plumbing... And now I'm playing with the non-skid. I'm cutting it all out with a razor so it won't be perfect, but nothing else is so it will match, lol. I'm using a 1:2 mix of medium and fine pumice.

Image20201027_141940_resized , on Flickr

I may have gone a bit heavier then needed on this first try.

Image20201027_144101_resized , on Flickr

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Well I think it came out pretty good.

Image20201029_105748_resized , on Flickr

Not the straightest of cuts, but not to shabby. The ice blue against the white is subtle but nice I think.

Image20201029_105756_resized , on Flickr

With the test area done I moved on to doing the rest of the cap. I left areas in the back without it because it's either a place no one will ever stand, or a place I might put more equipment. I can always add more later.

Image20201029_163004_resized , on Flickr

Image20201029_174550_resized , on Flickr

So I think the medium mixed with the fine pumice is bit rougher then I'd like. However it wasn't worth grinding the cap down and redoing everything, so I'm using the same 1:2 mix on the rest of the cap. Moving on the floor and front hatch will get just fine ground pumice.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice!