C19 Stretch and re-build - Launched!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 Stretch and re-build Progress Report...

Post by OneWayTraffic »

PPI for your upscaled version should be ballpark 190kg per inch. Maybe quarter to half that at the bow? Less if you move weight from all the way back to all the way forward.

Calculating that would be troublesome due to increasing volume as you immerse the bow. Jaccques could tell you for sure, but he'd need to model the hull extension.

Or you might just not worry about it.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I suppose we could just put more cold beers at the front!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

TomTom wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:39 pm I suppose we could just put more cold beers at the front!
Now you're talking! :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

TomTom just move the console forward an amount to offset the weight to offset the weight of the motors and any other weight you shifted back by your extension. So weight of motor and other = 400lbs x 1.5ft = 600lbs That means you have to move 600lbs forward of the old center of gravity. This is an example as I don't recall exactly how much you added to your C19, 1 or 2 feet.

Your new center of gravity will be about 42t, an% from the transom at the waterline. Just as the C19's was. So all your weight will need to be balanced around the console on that line or just forward of it. So remember the formula if you move 10lbs forward 10ft that is equivalent to moving 100lbs forward.

Uhm, a case of beer + ice forward of the console- 50lbs * 3 = 150 sounds good to me. :D

Good luck friend, having fun watching your build as usual.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Thanks TomW ... I think I would move console fwd If it was easier ... but where it is now looks best aesthetically, but moreover if I move if further fwd I would have to cut out and move one frame as well so the front of the console matches that frame and also I would have to cut up sole and move the T top mounting plates fwd. It’s not a huge job, but I had kind of carried on with the assumption it was “about right”.

When we go off-shore I keep an 8 HP kicker engine in the front locker. I also have an anchor. And sometimes 1000 foot of rope.

I can also keep fuel up front as I use portable Jerry

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

TomTom wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:35 pm Thanks TomW ... I think I would move console fwd If it was easier ... but where it is now looks best aesthetically, but moreover if I move if further fwd I would have to cut out and move one frame as well so the front of the console matches that frame and also I would have to cut up sole and move the T top mounting plates fwd. It’s not a huge job, but I had kind of carried on with the assumption it was “about right”.

When we go off-shore I keep an 8 HP kicker engine in the front locker. I also have an anchor. And sometimes 1000 foot of rope.

I can also keep fuel up front as I use portable Jerry
Okay Tom, don't worry about the console. Just do the weight calcs so that you know you are floating level as you leave the dock or as level as you can get that fancy new boat. :D She will ride and handle best if she is balanced. People are going to move around and throw the balance off any way, but at least you know your boat is as good as you can make her. :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

A few updates.

1) I have glued a fitting onto the long elbow of my chase tubes using GFlex epoxy. This means should any water get in the chase tube I can drain it into the bilge

2) I think my rubber gaskets using latex tube are going to work well to seal my compartments that’s I still want partial access to

3) I’ve been looking at the west system method of bonding bolts and nuts. I want to be able to screw down my lids on these compartments against this rubber gasket ... I also want to embed a nut. I like the west system of lining everything up with a pilot hole at the bottom... but I worry about water ingress right and the bottom ... and also surely this would be stronger if the nit was under a layer of epoxy

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomTom wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:57 am A few updates.

1) I have glued a fitting onto the long elbow of my chase tubes using GFlex epoxy. This means should any water get in the chase tube I can drain it into the bilge

2) I think my rubber gaskets using latex tube are going to work well to seal my compartments that’s I still want partial access to

3) I’ve been looking at the west system method of bonding bolts and nuts. I want to be able to screw down my lids on these compartments against this rubber gasket ... I also want to embed a nut. I like the west system of lining everything up with a pilot hole at the bottom... but I worry about water ingress right and the bottom ... and also surely this would be stronger if the nit was under a layer of epoxy

It looks good, but I think a hole might suffice and water can just run out.

The location of the chase entries is the real cuprit; they should be high and not on horizontals.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Also, the hatches need drains. For mine, I installed nylon fitting with hose barbs and ran the hoses to thru hulls. For you; it can go to wet bilge if that is a dry locker.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Put any nylon fitting on the stern side here.
8072A5FD-087B-48C2-AD7A-5441097BD7A4.jpeg