FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Jaysen »

71f is hot? That’s when I start looking for thermal underwear.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

So today I started test fitting and trimming, on the aft end, the chase tubes that will be running under the tank wells. Here is a picture of the mess I have going on right now. I am ready to start gluing/sealing all this into the frames but first cool off of the morning I figured I would post something.

The green pieces are pool noodles to give me access to the tank well drains for install and if I need to repair them years down the road. Grey and white PVC pipe that is making the "S" is fuel line only. Exits into the aft anchor locker and it will exit from there with the control cables, engine harness and steering cable, not bundled together. The next two that make slow 90 deg. turns are for electric. Very small tube at the very bottom is a small drain for the water the midship (main) bilge collects but can't pump out. Then the straight white pipe is the over flow drain. It's angled to flow to the transom if the main bilge is collecting water faster than it can discharge or if the main pump fails. Then the off white bigger pipe is the chase tube for the main bilge pump hose. If and service needs to be done to the hose it can be removed without cutting out the tank wells.

One thing I forgot was a tee for the main pump wiring to exit! 8O

Once the epoxy cures that will hold all this into place I can start adding the expanding foam. I am hoping to pour in starting from the center and fill it about half way to the stringers so when I am ready to fill it all the way to the bottom of the tank wells I can lay down clear plastic sheets to keep the foam from sticking to the tank wells but be flush with it.

Always looks good on paper!!! Lets see how that goes! 8O

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice, OQ! All of your well thought out planning is now materializing into a very nice end product.

Bogie

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bogieman wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am Very nice, OQ! All of your well thought out planning is now materializing into a very nice end product.

Bogie
Thanks Bogieman!! I thought I left out the tee for the bilge pump wiring to come out but it's in the bilge that happens, that's in the NEXT compartment.
That chase tube gets cut and the tee installed close to where the access hatch will be.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

So much for following the plan! Nasty weather was coming in and didn't want to get stuck driving through flood water again.

So Went straight to foaming. Mixed two batches of 400 grams and two at 200 grams. Still have a few areas to fill in but that got the bulk of it taken care of. Oh, the foam has the same effect as PVC glue so the pipe is kind of glued when I poured. Not all the pipes where covered in foam but picked a drop off that hit one of the pipes and you can see where it slightly melted the surface like the PVC glue does so I'm glad I when straight to foam. where the foam oozed out of where the pipes came out the frames I will trim and seal with neat epoxy when I finish foaming in that area.

My green pool noodles wrapped in plastic sheet and taped worked very well but I forgot to tape over the hole in the noodle and it had a pole in the middle when I pulled it out. Getting the first one out of the foam I destroyed it but made adjustments to the second one and I think it will do fine. The plastic sheet on the bottom of the tank well worked but need to put it on before the foam expands upward to much. Nothing a sander can't cure, but did lose the nice smooth surface.

I will take pictures tomorrow, I closed the warehouse doors and ran for my car first sound of thunder. It was pouring by the time I drove the 12 miles to home.

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

OQ,

Like I did jumping in to GB's thread this week, I have caught up on yours too. I'm not too far from you and would like to see your build whenever you are ready to show it off. Of course if you need anything and I'm able I will lend a hand. The FS14 is one of the sets of plans I have and may jump off into. I really want to build another boat, but time is not on my side currently.

Tim

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

timoub007 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:33 pm OQ,

Like I did jumping in to GB's thread this week, I have caught up on yours too. I'm not too far from you and would like to see your build whenever you are ready to show it off. Of course if you need anything and I'm able I will lend a hand. The FS14 is one of the sets of plans I have and may jump off into. I really want to build another boat, but time is not on my side currently.

Tim
Thank you very much Tim! I thought it was funny you joined the forum before the internet was invented! and you were born!! :lol: I may take you up on your offer!! I am still learning a lot about boat boating and can use all the advice I can get :help: If you read or seen anything that I am doing wrong please advise. :doh:

I am at the warehouse 7 days a week most the time. I manage a small kayaking venue all around Houston, lucky enough to have room in the warehouse for the boat and workshop. I get to work very early in the morning, 6ish, so I can get everything ready for what ever the company is doing for the day but also leave early in the day to get ahead of Houston traffic.
OQ

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Before and after the pouring of the foam. I think wind, temp, humidity and the angle of the sun all played on how much this stuff expands. That and the fact I guessed as to how much I needed for each area, but I am happy with it. Will be chip brushing some neat epoxy over the foam to make sure it is sealed followed with thickened epoxy and gluing down the tank well assembly.
BEFORE:
AFTER:

Big step!! :D :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Oh Yea! 8)

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Well, I am going to sleep on the neat epoxy over the foam give it a little more time to just cure. I checked to make sure my fish tape would still go into all the chase tubes, the drain tube it clear and just needs a little trimming and sanding. I can't think of anything I missed. If I feel good about it in the morning I will do the neat epoxy, mix some thickened epoxy to glue the tank well to the cleats. If I get that far then I will try to fillet the well seams in on Friday, the same day the smoker will be tested!! I never did test fit the plumbing again but getting the wells in shouldn't change anything.
Why am I so nervous about the tank wells?