FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Capt UB »

Somewhere on this forum there is a photo of spring clamps and c-clamps with painter's tape on them. If I remember right, nothing was said about the tape covered clamps. Not a bad idea, all the same.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

8)

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I often times cover my C claps with masking tape on the ends. For the wood clamps, like the Jorgensen Wood Clamps, I sometimes cover 80% or so of the whole clamp.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

flyfishingmonk wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:35 am I often times cover my C claps with masking tape on the ends. For the wood clamps, like the Jorgensen Wood Clamps, I sometimes cover 80% or so of the whole clamp.

Casey
I think on your 18 build I saw that done.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Capt UB wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:41 pm
flyfishingmonk wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:35 am I often times cover my C claps with masking tape on the ends. For the wood clamps, like the Jorgensen Wood Clamps, I sometimes cover 80% or so of the whole clamp.

Casey
I think on your 18 build I saw that done.
It seems to do the trick. Another spot I sometimes cover on the C claps are the threads. Man getting epoxy out of those threads is a real challenge!

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I have my boat stored under a rack with just enough head room to walk under and when I was doing some of my fillets I would find epoxy filler stuck to the kayaks overhead :doh:

I have put tape on my clamps where they will be touching the epoxy but drips, spatters and flings are something that I would run out of tape if I tried to protect everything. Then there is the issue with getting epoxy on my gloves and touch the clamps or anything else without knowing the stuff is there.

I don't seem to have many issues with neat epoxy, it is when fillers are added that things seem to start getting a little wild!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

You just never know where the epoxy will drip or fall... My dog fell asleep on a little bit of epoxy on the floor!!! Had to cut a 2x2 of fur off of her.

Anyway, maybe we all can get back to building with the weather changing!!!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I have been having problems loading pictures but was able to load pictures to facebook, then save them from there back to my cloud and then upload them. But it works!

Here is the ground tackle in it's place.

There is enough room to add the storm anchor mounts as well but will hold off for now.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work OQ!! How bad is the heat out there in the greater Houston area?? Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks Jeff!

The heat hasn't been to bad. We have had a few early mornings that the temps dropped in the lower 80's.I think one day even high 70s. A lot of people are breaking out the winter coats. :lol:
A. A. Milne