FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

The making of the hatches turned out not to be that bad. Made a few templates, sanded them for a nice clean fit and the used the flush trim bit the make the hatches. They have zero clearance so no moving around right now. Game plan is to mount the hinges. That way I know that they will still be centered once I final trim the hatches. I have a smaller guide bearing that I will put on my flush trim bit so it will take off an additional 1/16". If that is not enough then I have another even smaller guide bearing that will remove an additional 1/16" for a total of 1/8" clearance. Just can not damage my templates. These were easier than I thought they would be. I could have saved a few bucks on plastic hatches.

What a cleaner look!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

So everyday I have been knocking out getting the new hatches ready for epoxy. I decided that trying to inlay and flush fit the hinges is just not in my wheelhouse at this time. So, just clearance the barrel of the hinges enough to drill the screw holes to mount them. I am ready to over bore and add WFE mix filler. I cut out the stiffener panel for all the hatches today and toyed a little on cutting out the hatch gaskets. Very big pain even at 2mm thick the foam needs a very sharp blade or it will hang and tear the foam. I also will be re-using the cooler box I made for the cooler locker and just have to make it removable. I may coat the outside of the cooler with plastic sheets, form a box for accessing the electrical box and fill the locker with foam.

Rumor has it, we may open back up mid May but no final word yet. I may get very busy soon!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

What a cleaner look!
AMEN brother! Good job!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

OQ, there's a chance I may still have the jig I made to route out a recess to allow flush fitting my hatch hinges. If you haven't bought hinges yet and want to use the same gemlux ones I used I'd be happy to give the jig to you. This is what I wound up with:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks cape man!

And thank you willg, I did get my hinges, they are the same as yours but not the friction hinges. (Nice hatches by the way, I was going to do the same trim colors). There is not enough room even with a trim router to get 6 of them cut out, to close to the frame. I will have to use my high speed rotary tool and free hand it or scribe and chisel them out. The deck already have a layer of glass on it so not ready to go to great lengths just yet.

Reason I got 20 (70% off) is the stern will take half of them, redoing the foredeck hatches with matching hinges (4 more). Then the console will need a few. I picked 1.5" slam latches on clearance for the foredeck, but only bought what I needed at the time. Gemlux doesn't make them anymore. So I will need to pay full price on 2" ones or hold off on some going on clearance again.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Well, I couldn't resist, I went ahead and tried it. First, looks like someone tried to use my chisel set for chipping metal. They are not the best to start with but I managed to dig enough wood out to make a hole big enough to get the six hinges laid in. Nothing a little WFE can't clean up. :) Didn't help the limited access.

The hatches were done with the router on the bench and a jig. I also found a source for 1.5" 316SS slam latches...THEY ARE NOT ON SALE! 8O

Just got word today we may open up at the end of May and our SBA loan got approved.
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice progress, and hopeful news on the business front. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good stuff OQ!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks Jeff and GB!

I couldn't wait the text all my employees this morning about a strong maybe of re-opening. 4 so far have not claimed unemployment, they will be the first to come in.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

At long last! I found some!!! Sink strainers that I use in my lockers. I have been looking for more than a month for the last one I needed. I looked at a lot of different ones and wanted something that once plugged could easily be pulled out and cleaned. Notice the gray color, matches the bilge paint all the lockers are being painted. Since it was so hard to find these guys I picked up 5 spares. At a buck each I think they are worth it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't judge, sometimes I go simple!
A. A. Milne