FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by narfi »

hehe, seems like something I would do :)

neat trick with removing lumps too..... now that I'm almost done :/

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

narfi wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm hehe, seems like something I would do :)

neat trick with removing lumps too..... now that I'm almost done :/
I first used the method for stray drips on the finished surface and I don't want to sand it anymore. To set the depth I place the router on a sheet of paper and micro adjust to where it just touches the paper. Think Kung Fu, walk across the rice paper without tearing it.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Each hatch took an hour to just recess enough for the hinge barrels, that is how slow and careful I was being. I lost count on attempts at this, but I got 3 hatches out of 7 done! Warehouse started getting to hot to work more than 15 minutes at a time before I was dripping sweat all over the bare wood. Work phone started ringing so couldn't get much more done anyway. I was wanting to get lunch at a family owned place anyway, retired vet that just started his own business, damn straight I will support him.

You can see where there was over shot on the recessing.

What do you guys use for hatch opening stops? I can see someone holding onto an open hatch and expecting it to hold their weight leaning on it. After knocking them over board I would still need to replace the bent hinges.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work OQ!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks Jeff, me and these hinges are going around and round!

I got them all done today! Next up, seat pedestals.
A. A. Milne

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Congrats! The little details are frustrating sometimes. :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I also put in an order to the bolt depot.

The thickness of the hatches is 12mm (two 6mm plywood sheets laminated) The #8 sheet metal screws in 5/8" length just poke through and 1/2" I don't feel would be strong enough. So I am going to drill thru and use tee nuts with #8-32 machine screws. I had looked up all the 316 stainless screws I need, then got to the tee nut, last thing on my order, and they only come in 8-18 stainless. No Square drive so one side of the hinge would have Philips and the other square.

Ordered #8-32 X 5/8" beveled Philips drive machine screws 316 SS.- box of 100
Reordered #8 square drive 1/2" beveled sheet metal screws for Philips drive 316 SS- box of 100
Reordered #8 square drive 5/8" beveled sheet metal screws for Philips drive 316 SS- box of 100
No 316 SS #8-32 tee nuts. 8O
Ordered 50 #8-32 8-18 SS tee nuts. Box of 50 @ $0.53 each
Reordered #8-32 X 5/8" beveled Philips drive machine screws 8-18 SS

This is all from those hinges!!
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I like this type of thing to hold open a hatch, simple and functional:

Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

So, I did a little neat epoxy coating in the anchor locker and then a little light sanding and it will get painted with just bilge paint.

Fun fact: used med speed hardener and applied between 7 and 7:30 this morning. Air temp in the warehouse is low 80's. At 9:15 it is not sticky to the touch and finger nail impression hard. Another hour I could sand and paint today! But that will wait till tomorrow.

I am repairing the bow and stern on one of our rental canoes with patches of cloth and the extra epoxy I mixed up I used to coat all the inside frames of the hatches that I routed out. That was done at 8:00 and still a little tacky.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Sealing all the inside of the frames seems to have worked without causing the hatches to stick I am now final clearance the outer edges and round them over. This will be the final prep (I hope) before adding glass to the hatches.

Still need to make the strikers inside the hatch frames for all but the cold locker, it has a square hole cut in the liner for the latch catch to hold to. I may need to figure a way to make a stainless striker for it. (gave me a thought to look on the web for one).

Have rain bands hitting Houston today, they are moving from the East to the West, warehouse is west of where I live. I drive along the bayou to get home so left the warehouse early today to keep from hitting any flooded streets. It is easier for me to get stuck at home than the warehouse. I can work from home but it's hard to live from the warehouse even though there is more to do there.
A. A. Milne