FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

Well a little more foam. This is all that I am putting in.
I have just enough to put a little in under the foredeck lockers. Mainly to help channel any water towards the forward drain chase.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Have not been spending a lot of time on the build, but I have made a little progress. I have been trying to get the clearance between the hatches and foredeck a little more consistent and evenly spaced but I think it is above my skill set. So I started to just fair it better. I am about ready to lay light glass over the hatches themselves and roll it off the edges. The deck is just screwed down for now to get the hatches where they need to be with the camber.

I also gave up on using the foam for a seal. I think I am going to do it the same as I did for R/C boat decks that needed to be waterproofed but removeable. A excessive amount of marine grade sealant on the lip and release agent on the hatch. Lay the hatch in place loosely and let the sealant cure. Remove hatch and trim off run out. The seals don't have to be waterproof, just block most water from just running past. Can't see trying to keep a lot of water out of an anchor locker. :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice work OQ. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

That looks really good, OQ!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

glossieblack wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 am Nice work OQ. :D
Bogieman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:32 pm That looks really good, OQ!
Thanks guys!!

The hatches are off still and more fairing and more sanding. Lots more sanding...just on the underside of the hatches I have exhausted my will to sand. There is a lot of hand sanding and it is so much fun in the heat! :? I sand an hour or so then walk away, come back and then more sanding and I keep repeating that through out the day. Just keep the sand paper and hatches on the work bench.

We are having a small TS coming through and looks like it is dumping enough rain to close us down for this weekend, so I may get the deck back off and finish it.
I may even start working out the hangers for the anchor.
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

OQ, you stay safe out there as it appears a bunch of rain is going to hit your area for the next few days!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:52 am OQ, you stay safe out there as it appears a bunch of rain is going to hit your area for the next few days!!! Jeff

Thanks Jeff! The rain missed my area for the most part. It is a crazy storm, when it gets to the north side of it's rotation the rain fades away. Lucky for me I live on the west/southwest side of Houston. Our warehouse is also West of downtown by about a mile. It has already gotten more than 4" since Tuesday. Blow a trash can lid across the parking lot also. My assistant and I both are working from home. She laughed when I told her I too was working from home. I am working on Call of Duty II 8)

I went in for a few hours this morning and did more fairing on the hatches. Also pulled the foredeck off and glued small blocks for the latch strikers to mount to. Used slow hardener so should be good to go in the AM.
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Glad all is good OQ!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

OQ are you still doing OK? The news sounds like the whole city is flooding again :help:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:36 pm OQ are you still doing OK? The news sounds like the whole city is flooding again :help:
Yes, Thank you Fuzz! We got hit pretty hard yesterday. Lot of rain in a short time caused the bayous to swell to flood stage. Our bayou went from 150cfs to over 8000cfs in just over an hour. Streets flooded and traffic gridlocked. I left the warehouse a little after 1 and got home 2 hours later.

Our bayous are used as big drainage ditches but there is no elevation change. Example. 20 miles from the dams to sea level with less than 100 feet elevation change (71.05 feet) with the top of the spillway at 104 feet. They design the streets to drain into the bayous quickly but it's at sea level so it just backs up. Here is a few graphs to show what Buffalo Bayou did yesterday. You can see the dams have their flood gates closed and holding a lot of the water back. Once the rain goes away they will drain the water off at about 2000cfs. If there is more rain in the forecast they will drain them at 2500 to 3000cfs. Even at that much water it still only moves at less than 5mph, it is just a lot of water moving slowly to sea level. By the way, once it reaches sea level it almost stops moving. The feet in the graphs is above sea level.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/river.p ... hydrograph
A. A. Milne