My FS18 Straight Shear hard chine Splashed 6/15!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My FS18 Straight Shear hard chine

Post by johnstonjosh »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:19 pm I hope you are planning on glassing over that fir. While good stuff it does need glass on it to keep it from checking.
Your boat is looking good. I have noticed in some pictures there is a bronze tint to it :doh: sort of different looking but I like it :D
Yeah will be glassing the deck for abrasion reistance anyway. About the bronze...i was not around and the guy helping with the build decided to start fairing...he used the wood flour as the first coat! SMH. It eventually sanded down nice and cured really hard. I mean...it works but we have the fairing mix from the kit. Once it gets back to the fairing painting stage at least he wants to just use the mix for it. sanding down the woodflour was tough.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Well from my stand point he was not all wrong. I have been using wood flour, sometimes with cabosil mixed in, for a first pass fairing compound. My thought is a tough layer at first to lessen the softer fairing compound later is a good thing.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh »

Entering the home stretch! Been getting a lot done but it doesnt look like it. Hit the stage where a lot of work doesnt look like much. All deck supports and sole supports are glued in, deck parts have been fitted and epoxied on the bottom, glassed on top, rub rails cut, and sole template is almost ready. Going to flip and finish the bottom, paint it, flip again and once thats done, it will just be a matter of installing the deck, foaming the hull and installing the sole. The trailer is waiting for the boat to go on!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fast build!!!! Jeff

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh »

Right now the only things left are glueing down the deck, foaming the sole and installing it, and final fairing, primer and paint. Clocking in at just over 100 hrs. The next phase will definately take some time to make it all look nice.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh »

updating some pics.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

That is some fast building!!! Looks nice!! Jeff

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh »

Already debating my next build! I like the FS14 LS but the FS18 fills that niche. The Playak looks cool, but I would really like a Phantom 18. Thinking I could add a rack for the playak to the FS18 Trailer. would take a bit of engineering but would be able to tow and store them both together.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh »

Painting tomorrow! Will post more pics soon. Should be set to flip and install the deck by tues. Estimating completion by April 8th. I need to get a motor but its hard finding a good pre owned 25hp long shaft tiller. I would love a new yamaha F25 or evinrude etec but cant afford it now. This was a fun, fast build! If the schedule holds it will have taken just over 4 1/2 months and under 150hrs to build.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh »

Getting there!