LM18 Round Chine Low Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Baitwell build

Post by Capt UB »

The console box is ready to be finished. Going to slide the 6 gal portable fuel tank in to the side of the box instead of the back. There is enough room between the gunwale and box to do that. The rest of the box will be a cooler or baitwell.
IMG_20191103_140244463~3.jpg
IMG_20191103_135402938~2.jpg

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: LM18 LS RC

Post by ks8 »

nice :)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Capt UB,

Just went through this front to back today(or back to front maybe) and learned a ton!. I'm just getting started with an FS14 LS and got a lot of great ideas from your build, you do a great job with the photos and descriptions, really helpful. Keep up the good work, your boat is going to be awesome.

Thanks,

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Box is on hold....

Installing the two pieces of the foredeck going with butt joints using some scrap 3/8" Okoume.

Will first coat the bottoms of the panels with a neat coat of epoxy, then make a little wood flour glue and glue the ply butts joints down.
Should be able to glue the deck down in a day or two.
If all goes well, will glue down aft deck the same day.

As I have done in the past, butt joints on all joints/seams like the the cockpit deck, aft/foredeck and side decks/gunwales. Did not do butt joints on the hull panels because they had BBC's Puzzle joints (two boats).

Should be very strong and when I cutout the deck for the hatch, I can if needed add some support.

Bob

IMG_20191124_180055147_HDR~2.jpg

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Nice Bob!! :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Capt UB!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am going to agree with everyone else, very nice looking.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Nice :)

If you (or the heaviest crew you expect might join you) plan to stand up there, ever, you may want to frame around the hatch cutout, extending to the sides, and or bow and aft frame.

Bounce that one off JM. It might not need it if the deck will be sitting right on the flotation foam, but even then (you know me :lol: ) I like the look of a hatch cutout nicely framed for extra strength (to make up for what was lost with the cutout). The dimensions on those framing battens depend on the boat and the cutout size, etc. I don't remember the structure that is already under your deck, if any. Enjoy researching, planning, deciding and doing, and doing it right, whatever that might turn out to be. :)

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Well one year ago I found out I had Shingles.... Still a lot of damage/pain on the left shoulder and left arm!

Get your SHINGLES SHOT!!!!

Got butt joints glued down. Wood flour and epoxy.

I did not do a neat coat of epoxy, just made the glue a bit wet. Used a chip brush to do a trowel like coat on ply. Because of the seam length, had to use some drywall screws to pull both sides together. Using BBC's MarinEpoxy with slow hardener and their wood flour.
IMG_20191125_172123585~2.jpg
IMG_20191125_172130135~2.jpg
IMG_20191125_172205419~2.jpg
IMG_20191125_175155840~2.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Capt UB!!! Jeff