LM18 Round Chine Low Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: LM18 Wolf's Build

Post by Browndog »

To get a smooth finish on the epoxy with “poorman’s peel ply” the plastic has to be thick enough not to wrinkle up like most kitchen plastic wraps do. The plastic wrap is fine for a non stick surface, but the wrinkles are left behind in the epoxy surface when the epoxy hardens and in many cases create a worse finish than if it had not been used. A plastic sheet like Mylar can create an incredible smooth and glossy surface, but care must be taken to remove all of the air under the plastic sheet or it will leave a bubble causing a surface finish defect. How do I know these things? Because I’ve tried them all, because I hate sanding. What I’ve figured out is the best trick to get a smooth surface for a bright finish is usually one extra thin coat of epoxy and then sand until you are beyond sick of sanding. If a bright finish is not required, then the use of fairing compound, sanding, primer, and paint has given the smoothest final finish in my boat projects.

Vacuum bagging seems like it might solve some of the issues with proper preparation of breather films and peel ply. Wish there was someone here that could give a good demonstration or tutorial on it.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

Browndog

Thanks, I'm going to try some plastic sheeting, on a NC16 I'm going to build. I'll see what I need to do then.
Last edited by Capt UB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

Last edited by Capt UB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

Last edited by Capt UB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

Last edited by Capt UB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Get'r done!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

That thing looks a little old. Does it run? What is that dark looking stuff leaking from the water inlets? And does the skeg have a chip in it? Guessing that thing is coming apart?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Don't worry about OQ that motor looks in fine shape. A 2 stroke is almost indestructible. I also don't see any thing on the Doel-Fin that will harm it's performance. I have an 1 1/2 inch chip out of mine and it doesn't hurt it at all.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978