LM18 Round Chine Low Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest

Re: LM18 Wolf's Build

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:48 pm Don't worry about OQ that motor looks in fine shape. A 2 stroke is almost indestructible. I also don't see any thing on the Doel-Fin that will harm it's performance. I have an 1 1/2 inch chip out of mine and it doesn't hurt it at all.

Tom
Sorry Tom being a guy that likes to take things apart I would not think twice about doing a little PM on a used motor I just got. The dark stuff coming out the water intake would make me wonder what it was and I would want to know. First I would smell it and see if it smells like fuel or gear oil. Big chunk of metal missing off the bottom of the motor I would want to know if the shaft is still true or is it bent and if the boot on the prop is still good.
Capt.UB said he is comfortable working on the older 2 strokes, figured he was getting this thing up so he could get a better look at it and see what he needs to do to it. You can see he already got the prop and that whale tail off. Besides I want him to put it on the FS14 and make it fly!! :D

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

Last edited by Capt UB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If your 30 Yamaha is anything like the one I have it will be a great motor. I think them and the Johnson 15hp's are two of the strongest motors ever made pound for pound.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Capt UB wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:33 pm
As for the Yamaha 30ELG, it has been laying on the wrong side for a week in the back of my SUV. It was a throw in with the LM18 CnC Low Sheer kit and all the fiberglass cloth (he ordered more to cover the hull both sides), tape, MarinEpoxy (slow), fairing mix, wood flour and rollors...etc. $ 2000.00 for all

And yes Yam 30 runs, I have a lower unit I rebuit a few years ago that is made for that series of OBs. I also have a few props that will work. The motor itself is clean, smoked like hell on fire when I finally got it started. Compression same on all three cylinders, good charge output and does pee very well!

I did not drain the oil tank, so oil got in and all over.... After installing on stand I sparyed the whole outboard down with buster....
Sounds like you did a really good inspection of the motor and seems to be in good working order. Sounds like you got a good deal on everything.
And this confirms it!
Fuzz wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:17 pm If your 30 Yamaha is anything like the one I have it will be a great motor. I think them and the Johnson 15hp's are two of the strongest motors ever made pound for pound.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

Last edited by Capt UB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Capt UB wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:53 am Learn this now...

Until you run an Outboard on the water or in a test tank at full WOT, you will never know how good it is....
That's why I think to "test out the Yammi" you bolt it to the FS14 to make sure it's a strong motor! While the LM18 is still under construction. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I couldn't agree with you more. Even in a test tank may not reveal everything. Had a V8 stern drive that after about 20 minutes of running you could faintly hear a lower end knock. Boat had been setting for more than 8 years. Engine cover collapsed around it. Pulled the engine apart and had a main bear spun and the cylinder walls pitted even though didn't smoke. Lucky was able to have the crank turned and the cylinders bored out 20 over. After that it ran very well. In the long run the teardown and overhaul was a lot cheaper than a replacement. It was my ex-father in-law's boat. I was making fairly good money at the time and wanted to BUY a new boat but the ex wouldn't have it. So I helped him rebuild his. He taught me a lot about bad choices when it comes to rebuilding something. May he rest in peace, we butted heads a lot about it. Finally bought it from him and babied it back to life.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: LM18 build in DeLand

Post by Capt UB »

The FS14 is setup of a 9.8, I'm not going to try anything that may do damage to the hull. I love the 2 stroke Yam 25's and 30"s (non-oil injected, never had one). It does run, just needs some tlc on the outside.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Well the FS14 build is coming to an end. I have lots of notes of what I did wrong and how I fixed it or replaced/removed the problem. And lots of notes on how to do things much better!!

This time going to build like I was coding (writing programming code), one line at a time from a (ladder logic-diagram) style list on a dry erasable board mounted on the carport wall.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Capt UB wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am Well the FS14 build is coming to an end. I have lots of notes of what I did wrong and how I fixed it or replaced/removed the problem. And lots of notes on how to do things much better!!

This time going to build like I was coding (writing programming code), one line at a time from a (ladder logic-diagram) style list on a dry erasable board mounted on the carport wall.
Dang it Capt Bob you are starting to make sense! :lol:

But it is really a good idea. We use a dry erase board for problems employees have at events and I correct them when I come in and then erase them.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hey Bob it sounds like you have a plan. 8) Remember the LS18 is a technical skiff designed for one thing. So build it as designed and then make some changes in the cockpit to accommodate you and your wife on your sight seeing trips. That cockpit is large and gives you a lot of room to make it yours.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978