LM18 Round Chine Low Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

MY BUILD LOG OF MY LM18 RCLS

Post by Capt UB »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 pm Hey Bob it sounds like you have a plan. 8) Remember the LS18 is a technical skiff designed for one thing. So build it as designed and then make some changes in the cockpit to accommodate you and your wife on your sight seeing trips. That cockpit is large and gives you a lot of room to make it yours.

Tom

Tom and OQ,

Going to build to plans.

I'm going to use Peel ply on the top panel hull sides, 18'x12". I'm saving now for the Peel Ply.

The bottom will be getting the hard bottom mix. BUT NOT WITH GRAPHITE, but with Hexagonal Boron Nitride, hBn powder, white graphite. Saving up for that Too!

The whole bottom panels with be covered with three coats of hBn/epoxy mix, no need to crazy on fairing these panels.

Going to paint the hull jade green, hunter green, hinckley green, one of these dark greens.

Bob.
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: LM18 build in DeLand

Post by silentneko »

You might want to check my build thread on the HBN. It's completely transparent at a 25% mix, so I abandoned it and went back to graphite. I even tried 5% white pigment mix. If you do go this route you would need to have a perfect white base under it.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

silentneko wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:41 am You might want to check my build thread on the HBN. It's completely transparent at a 25% mix, so I abandoned it and went back to graphite. I even tried 5% white pigment mix. If you do go this route you would need to have a perfect white base under it.
silentneko, thanks for the heads up.

What brand or were did you get yours from?

I have read a few threads on hBn in the kayak forums. They seem to like it. I think I did read your post, I did not know much about the stuff at the time.

Bob.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I'll check on it later, I think I bought a pound and it was like $70. In order for you to get it to where it will look good you need to fair the bottom, and do several coats of an epoxy primer until it is completely smooth and even. Then apply the HBN/epoxy mix.

Kayakers like it because they store the kayaks upside down. The white doesn't heat up as bad as the black graphite. On a trailered boat it's just cosmetic.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Just going to use the Peel Ply on the black dotted area of the hull, that is just the sides. Bottom will have the BBC graphite/epoxy mix. The hull will be painted Gloss Lite Sand.
PEELPLY.gif

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

After a lot of thought, I'm going to use Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring - 74" Wide on the deck and sole. Just too much work to fair it out nice. The top part of the hull will get a lot of attention and Peel Ply. Bottom will be BBC graphite/MarinEpoxy.

This is the color of the non-skid vinyl, Sisal warm.
619 MMlc-FL._AC_SY400_.jpg
619 MMlc-FL._AC_SY400_.jpg (51.1 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Looking into a teak coaming, the teak molding pieces are off the shelf.
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.51 KiB) Viewed 2183 times

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Thanks to wegcagle...

Got the Jack plate, it's a Bob's Convertable MJ5 2.5″ or 5″ setback manual jack plate :200 HP MAX.
1-22.jpg
1-22.jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

It’s the 5” setback. Hope it’s not too much for her!

Also, I used the jade green paint from interlux perfection. Can’t speak highly enough of it! Looked amazing 5 years later (garage kept when off the water for full disclosure). I’ll use perfection again for sure.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

wegcagle wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:23 pm It’s the 5” setback. Hope it’s not too much for her!

Also, I used the jade green paint from interlux perfection. Can’t speak highly enough of it! Looked amazing 5 years later (garage kept when off the water for full disclosure). I’ll use perfection again for sure.

Will
Will,
Thank you! This JP will be perfect for the Laguna Madre 18. I thought you painted it green! It's the hull you painted.
Thanks again,
Bob.
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.