GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting »

:) "Neat" indeed.

I was tempted to leave the cockpit fully open per the plans, but this layout was the only solution I could devise that allowed for a properly designed, easily accessible propane locker. There's enough room left for two adults to relax in the aft cockpit without feeling too cramped (more than 2 will feel pretty cramped), and we pick up a lot of convenient storage this way, plus a stronger transom. Originally, I was going to bring the motor mount access well up to the same height as the seat tops, but when I mocked it up in cardboard it felt lot more cramped/intrusive. So instead, I set its height at 7-1/2" (typical rise of most stair treads) and it now functions as a convenient step to assist people in climbing up and over the transom to exit the boat. Very pleased with how it all came together. As long as the hatch lids also fit well and keep things dry inside, I'll be thrilled.

Due to the height of the propane tank and the need to raise it to allow for the requisite downward-sloped drain underneath, seat height ended up at 22". That's a little high (I would've preferred 19"), but I think I can make some lightweight floorboards later to bring the floor up a couple of inches.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Another update: making progress on the aft seats and scuppers. I cut a 1.5" x 4.5" slot in the face of each seat so that any water in the cockpit can run through the face of each seat, into a short tunnel that directs it through the seat interior and out a matching 1.5" x 4.5" slot in the transom to either side of the motor bracket. I'll make a simple screw down cover (bedded with sealant) to cover these tunnels but allow for easy inspection if the need arises later. A few pics... (second pic also shows the raised floor of the propane locker with an access lid to install/inspect the overboard discharge hose and thru-hull)
scupper1.jpg
scupper2.jpg
scupper3.jpg
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Wes!!! Jeff

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Looks great! I like how they are visually out of the way, but will still move some water if needed

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Thanks! Yes, I could've squeezed them right alongside the motor bracket to avoid routing through the seats, but I didn't like that placement. I think it looks a lot nicer (inside and out) this way and glad to hear that others agree.

Given their size, I think they should drain very quickly. A 1.5" round scupper drains at about 35 gpm. The two slots in my transom are equivalent to about six of those, so ~210 gpm! (Actually because of the shape, probably much faster than that even.) Should be plenty to keep up with even a catastrophically hard rain. :)
Wes

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

They do look nice!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

how far do you think they will be above the water line?

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

That's a good question, but hard to answer. I've stressed over it a lot. At one point, Jacques indicated the waterline would be at 8" with a displacement of 5,163 lbs. or at 10" with a displacement of 6,850 lbs. However, I don't know if he took into consideration that I reduced the width of my hull by 4" (with his guidance) to get it down to the legal max trailerable width without a permit (8'6", instead of 8'10" as designed). I'm not sure how much that affects the numbers.

I've been tracking raw weights for all materials and appliances. Right now, my running log suggests I'm at 5,139 lbs., however that includes almost everything: all expected appliances, the actual weight of fuel and water, most remaining materials to finish the build, even the motor I haven't purchased yet. I'm confident a LOT of that weight was shaved off by cut offs, waste, sanding, etc. during the build process, and by some expected left overs. For example, I probably have a couple hundred pounds of plywood scraps/cutoffs stacked around my garage that may or may not get used on the build, plus a few hundred pounds of completely unused sheets (that may or may not get used to finish the interior).

If I had to guess, the hull weight currently is 3,500 to 4,000 lbs. but that's purely a guess--I could be wrong.

If the final weight comes out around 5,000 lbs. I'll be thrilled. Add in up to 1,000 lbs. in people and luggage/cargo, that will put her near 10" depth of waterline.

The scuppers are just a little over 11" above the bottom edge of the transom, and since there's a little vee and belly in the hull, they're probably 11.5" to 12" above the lowest point of the fairbody. So that would put them about 1.5" to 2" of clearance above the (presumed) waterline. If the weight of the boat comes out even lighter (which would be wonderful), then I'll have even more clearance. But man will I be relieved if/when I finally confirm this in reality. I hate to think if she were to come out much heavier.... ugh.

Interestingly, I raised the aft cockpit floor 1.5" higher than spec'd in the plans, and I'm really glad I did. Maybe it was unnecessary, but since I didn't know the effects of reducing the beam, I figured it was better to play it safe.
Wes

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

interesting, I hope it does come out on the lighter side. I didn’t really think about how complex this question is in a one off build. i guess that’s something to keep in mind when building, to keep track of waste and raw materials to help keep a ball park number. i like the idea of raising the rear deck some as In this kind of a boat having it wet back there would be annoying. look forward to seeing the real world result.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am guessing a bunch of us are waiting on those real world numbers!

Here is a question that may take your mind off the draft line, how about that sample window, any word on it?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne