GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting »

For those of you following along, Part 6 of the boat build series is now published: https://youtu.be/NBLikTZo_1Q

Hope you enjoy it!
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Great job on the boat and videos! I've been wondering when another installment was coming. :D

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Great video! I really enjoyed it. Three things jumped out at me.
1 You are very lucky to have a wife that helps with the boat work.
2 It is clear your knees are way younger than mine. I could never do all that work on the ground like you did.
3 Do NOT fall off the ladder :help:

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Thanks guys. My luck at having a wife who helps is probably the single most oft-mentioned point in the emails people send me and the comments they post. I am a very lucky guy, and everything I do--including this boat build--is really all about them. I'm more of a sailor by nature and never thought I'd want a motor boat, but it turns out that little girls get impatient in an open cockpit daysailer when the weather isn't just so, and the wife doesn't always feel like camp cruising without some of the comforts of home or access to a shower. So it became clear if I want to enjoy my love of water more, share it with them, and enjoy multi-day adventures together, we needed to bring some of the comforts of home along. I think this boat will do that nicely. Looking forward eagerly to many happy days and nights on the water...
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Happy March to you all! I managed to get only two days of building in in February, right at the end, as the rest of the month was unusually wet and cold this year. That was just enough time to cut and frame the windows in the fore and aft cabin walls, so now all of the windows are cut!

Not sure why some of the pictures make it look like things are misaligned or twisted (e.g. the motor bracket looks askew from the transom), but I guess it's the wide angle lens on my camera phone.
20210228_104420.jpg
20210228_104625.jpg
20210228_104510.jpg
20210228_104653.jpg
Wes

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

It is really looking good! The interior is coming along nicely!

Has the crew decided on the interior color yet?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Hey Wes...I built a boat with a pretty fancy bathroom. If it were only me; might be a porta porty in there.

Don't you hate those picture issues?

I almost bet you took the level out for the bracket illusion!

It sure looks nice.

Did you hire a surveyor? I found one. He is coming to do a walk around Wednesday.

For my beds, I used a combination of foam. It is something like 70#-2#,35#-1", super soft 1" on top. A bit of trouble, but I could not find a foam I liked that worked.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

looking good Wes! Hope you get more building days in March.

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Hi all,

The weather is indeed looking better and better so I'll soon be back to weekends of sanding to prep the exterior for paint, hopefully before it gets too hot. I still have the window trim to install, plus a central roof hatch to build and install (for shower/stove ventilation), plus some cockpit coamings that I think will finish off the side decks more nicely, plus a lot of backing plates and fastener holes for cleats and roof rails to locate. Once all that is accomplished, I think it will be okay to paint the rest of the exterior and install all windows. Then she'll be sealed up nicely and I can start purchasing and installing major systems (e.g. motor & controls, depthfinder, electrical, plumbing, etc.)--probably best to do that before building out the interior structures.

I have not hired a surveyor. My thought is that would best be accomplished after systems are installed, but possibly before the interior is built out (?). I'm really not sure about the best timing on that. On all past builds, I just had the inspection for assigning a Hull ID, as those were all sailboats and not a lot of standards to worry about. I assume with fuel, electrical, plumbing, etc. it will be a more complex scenario and a fully surveyor's report will be important for insurance purposes, etc. I welcome advice on that.
Wes

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

First, you need to find a surveyor. And no insirance company will insure without a survey.

Fairly straightforward, but all systems must be in for survey.

They are real finicky on propane. If you have it, walk me through your system and I can help.

You can go to the surveyors society website to get leads or call a local marina. I talked with about 3 people before I found a guy. I put him on a retainer because I didn't want to lose time and get failed late. So he did a walkthrough and might do one more.

Also, your boat will need co detection. Kids are especially susceptible to CO and a little bit can kill them.

I gotta work on understanding bonding better as well.

I can't now, but later can try to find a link for you.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495