GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting »

Thanks for that input. I do have the link for finding a licensed surveyor by zip code, etc. and see that there are a few within ~70-120 miles of me, so that's good.

I am trying to be very diligent about propane. One lingering worry I have is that although my propane locker is fully sealed and separate from other areas, it "shares" a lid with an adjacent space. That's a gray area the standards don't speak to. It is a fully sealed area with proper drain for which the lid opens to atmosphere, but the lid simultaneously seals the compartment next to it also, and I can see some nit-picky personalities deciding by interpretation that isn't kosher. There wasn't a better solution, as making separate covers on that side of the boat would have reduced the available size of the openings enough to be impractical, so I made the call...

All my past boats were insured with no surveyor report, but again, those were smaller, open-cockpit sailboats with no mechanical systems except an auxiliary outboard and a depthfinder. That's probably why. I agree insurance is much more likely to scrutinize this kind of craft, both because of the more complex systems and the much higher insured value.

Definitely will include appropriate alarms/sensors for CO, etc. Safety is a top priority with the family aboard.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The best way to deal with the lid question is to find the surveyor and see if they accept it. If not, you can tell them the other locker is for an xtra propane tank. The rules are clear and propane lockers cannot be used for other than propane. Just tell them the other locker is for an xtra tank to be safe, on further..

Some surveyors won't survey all boats, so you will want to find a surveyor who will do a custom made ply houseboat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Hi all,

Long time no post. :) I'm in the long, long slog of fairing, sanding, fairing, sanding... I swear the fairing work seems to be multiplying or I just forgot how long it takes. I had thought I was on the verge of priming and painting, but now I think I still have weeks of fairing and sanding to go... Ugh. Getting there, but man is it hard to stay motivated on this part of the build. There are so many nooks and crannies (bow shelf, under the roof overhangs, around the hatches, along the doors and windows) that make it much slower and more tedious than fairing the hull.

Anyway, didn't want you to think I had quit. I'm still at it. Hope everyone else is doing well!
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

wkisting wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:48 pm Hi all,

Long time no post. :) I'm in the long, long slog of fairing, sanding, fairing, sanding... I swear the fairing work seems to be multiplying or I just forgot how long it takes. I had thought I was on the verge of priming and painting, but now I think I still have weeks of fairing and sanding to go... Ugh. Getting there, but man is it hard to stay motivated on this part of the build. There are so many nooks and crannies (bow shelf, under the roof overhangs, around the hatches, along the doors and windows) that make it much slower and more tedious than fairing the hull.

Anyway, didn't want you to think I had quit. I'm still at it. Hope everyone else is doing well!
The problem is, you spend some time fairing/sanding a section, and now the sections around it that you thought were done look crappy in comparison, so you do those over, but now your technique is better and your standards are higher, so now the first section no longer looks very good, and the cycle continues. Zeno's paradox: you just keep halving the distance to your goal, you never actually arrive.

It just ain't fair!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thank you for the update and hang in there! Hope we can enjoy pictures of your labor soon!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Hi all! If you're interested, part 7 of our GT27 build is now watchable here: https://youtu.be/WOujcb_9JBA
Wes

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Great video as always! Was there a hint of a proud smile when you were talking to the young female inspector about steering, seems the boat passed her inspection. It is always very exciting to see the progress on your boat. You guys were doing a lot of work inside the cabin...how is the heat in there and working? I see the box fan is getting a lot of use.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Looking really good! Its nice to see those exterior details getting there.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Very nice. Loved the explanation of the kerfing for turning on the corners. Keep us up to date. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Thanks all! Glad you enjoyed the video.

Up through May, the heat in the cabin wasn't an issue as long as the box fan was running for ventilation, and especially if the tarp was rolled up to expose the side windows for a cross breeze. By late May/June, though, the high Georgia humidity really set in and then for most of the day, no matter what you do, the air feels like a hot, wet washcloth pressed against you, making it very uncomfortable to work and sometimes even hard to catch your breath. It also fogs your glasses constantly, which is why you see me not always wearing safety glasses when I probably should. I take safety seriously, but you have to draw the line at some point because you can't see what you're doing and can't keep stopping every few breaths to wipe the glasses clean again.

We were cranking along pretty well until the end of May, when the reality set in that there just wasn't going to be a weather window cool enough (and lasting enough) to risk trying to prime and paint. So we slowed down a lot. I have some fairing work to do on the cockpits yet, where there is a superabundance of corners and curves to work around, and also some work to epoxy seal all the trim pieces and doors. I also need to glue on some more backing plates or doublers for other accessories, like the horn, nav lights, etc. I think if we continue at a light pace of a couple of hours of work in the early mornings each weekend, we'll be able to have her nicely prepped for painting this fall when cooler weather returns. Until then, the new dog and some summer vacation plans will keep us plenty busy. I had the dog weighed at the vet yesterday and she's up to 75 lbs.--already 16 lbs. heavier than last month! It's unbelievable how fast wolfhounds grow. She likely has another 8" of height and another 60 lbs. of growing yet to do in the next five months, so I'll probably be doing Google searches for things like "floating pet boarding ladder" soon. :)
Wes