GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by OrangeQuest »

Not sure why you don't just make your own grab rails out of wood?? With all the cutting and trimming you have had to do, surely you have a router with a few bits? You can make it for a lot less than the prices you posted.

The top rail is one piece, or a few, and you mass produce the stands and and pieces. From the work you have produced so far you also have the skills to do them.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Actually, I did consider wood rails, but wanted to stick with something in stainless if possible just to minimize maintenance. I assume teak rails would last a good long time, but would take more care to keep up. Have to admit, with as much other work as there is to do, I also kind of dreaded the thought of trying to make my own, though I'm sure I could've made something serviceable.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

wkisting wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:54 pm Actually, I did consider wood rails, but wanted to stick with something in stainless if possible just to minimize maintenance. I assume teak rails would last a good long time, but would take more care to keep up. Have to admit, with as much other work as there is to do, I also kind of dreaded the thought of trying to make my own, though I'm sure I could've made something serviceable.
I was going to use teak for trim on my little boat but after the lumber yard said it would be about $50.00 per linear foot I decided that I didn't need that type for bright work. Did you consider just plywood, treat and paint it the same as the roof?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I like the stainless grabs. Run a conductor and ground them to earth for a faraday effect.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Fallguy, how do you ground them on the water on an outboard-equipped boat? Do you run a wire down to a thick 3/4" bolt through the hull, like I've seen some sailboats do for the mast, or....?
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

wkisting wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:50 am Fallguy, how do you ground them on the water on an outboard-equipped boat? Do you run a wire down to a thick 3/4" bolt through the hull, like I've seen some sailboats do for the mast, or....?
Grounding plates.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Thanks for that link. Smart idea to consider, since I think some of the fuel system equipment (the tank or the fill, I can't recall which--maybe both) also needs to be grounded. I assume the standard size is sufficient. Didn't see any info about why one would upsize to the "Giant" or "Super" sizes, though I see there's a steep price increase with those.
Wes

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

i’ve seen some of the grounding math, so based on the loads that are present the conductivity of the path to ground,etc determine what size you need. I’m not really experienced enough to be able to size things. great to have a link to the product though. I can’t wait to see the grab rails installed

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

wkisting wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:47 am Thanks for that link. Smart idea to consider, since I think some of the fuel system equipment (the tank or the fill, I can't recall which--maybe both) also needs to be grounded. I assume the standard size is sufficient. Didn't see any info about why one would upsize to the "Giant" or "Super" sizes, though I see there's a steep price increase with those.
Comventional wisdom is a square foot minimum plate. Or you can read more on marinelightening.com or something close to that.