OB 15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
The Chironex
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB 15

Post by The Chironex »

Wowzas! Looking sharp! That’s about the exact same color I was going to paint my OB, so this is exciting to see. Awesome job!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice Ruben, well done!!!! Jeff

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice! Great job!

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Thank you all for the kind comments.
Used my last bit of Quick Fair for the console. Pretty easy since the console is covered in 6oz. woven. Next will fair a bit the interior of the OB. So a order of more Quick Fair will happen soon. In all the fairing I have used so far a bag of BBC fairing mix and a 1 1/2 quart of Quick Fair.

Ruben
Attachments
IMAG4651.jpg
IMAG4650.jpg
Bilge pump
Bilge pump
LED light strip under the gunnels
LED light strip under the gunnels

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

I have a question about your console. Is there any sort of drain in the “well” that is below the sole underneath the console? Where you have the chase tubes stubbed up from under the sole into the center console.

I’m trying to figure out how most people mount center consoles and deal with possible water intrusion below the sole in boats that are foam filled and without a bilge. What is your reasoning behind making the console removable?

Did you order your outboard from online outboards? If so, how was the experience?

Your boat looks fantastic and is a true inspiration. Thank you.

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

I have a drain tube under the sole that is for channeling any water that will find its way into the "center console well" to the back of the boat. In the back of the boat water will exit by bilge pump or when the garboard drain plug is out.

I tried my best to completely seal the areas that are foam filled. Time will tell how well I did with that :D

About the removable console, I think it will be nice to remove the whole console out of the way if I need to do any major work in that area later on.

The outboard is from onlineoutboards.com. It was the cheapest new outboard I found and the delivery was speedy. I will definitely buy from them again.

Hope all this help.

Ruben

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

The first coat of paint is being applied. Looking good so far.
Attachments
IMG_20191211_201246970.jpg
IMG_20191211_201301353.jpg
IMG_20191211_201218954.jpg

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

Thank you for the response. If you had epoxied and fiberglass tabbed the console onto the sole, would you still have a drain? What I’m getting at, is if I have the chase tubes stubbed up out of the sole, a foot or so, if I could adequately waterproof around the chase tubes so I don’t need a drain. That way, I can just have a simple hole from under the console that any water that splashed in there can just drain out onto the deck.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Ruben!!!! Jeff

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Thanks Jeff.