Wahoo 160 LTS "SPLASHED"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Wahoo 160 LTS "SPLASHED"

Post by willg »

Your boat looks fantastic. The level of finish is just amazing.

Re the air lock, do you think it's a matter of pump pressure? Would it be possible to put an Attwood model in which has more output capacity?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I have the same pumps and the pump has to be in water to work. I have not launched my boat yet but I went through a very time consuming method to see how deep the transom needs to have water at the pump. Here is the water at the pump at 5" DWL

and at 7" which made the pump work great.

My pick up is about 3" but to prime the pump I need the transom to dip down to 7" Once it is primed and all air is out it will continue to suck water at less than 5" DWL

Edit: I used a cooler on a short table and a hose connected to the pump. I kept filling the cooler till my pump primed, took the pump out to see how much water was at the pump. Then measured how far from the ground the top of the water level was. Then measured the transom to see how far it was the ground. Very high tech and scientific! :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BassMunn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BassMunn »

Thanks WillG, I'm using the smaller 500gph but I have a small livewell and have used the 800gph before in my previous boat and it was actually too strong for the overflow to keep up. It's only lifting about 2ft. I stuck a hose pipe in it this afternoon to get water to it and it pumps fine once the water makes it there.

Thanks OQ, my pump is way below waterline but in the past I have always just mounted the pump straight through the transom, but because this is an offshore boat I have to have a shut off valve on it and I think because of the length of the upward slanting pipe now it's just too much for the water pressure to overcome.
Took this picture today and I think if I swap the fittings around and put the shut off valve just before the pump it might sort it out.

The older Attwood pumps were so much better, I've used 2 of these Tsunami pumps now and have had the same problem with both of them, should have just bought a Rule pump.

BassMunn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BassMunn »

On Sunday I got to take my boat out to sea for the first time, the main site where we launch is very well protected in a SW wind which we had on Sunday so had a perfectly flat calm launch for the first outing :D
The morning had a slow rolling 4ft SW swell with no chop and the boat just ate it up, felt like it was landing on a cushion, got to love ply/epoxy solidity.
Later in the day an 8 to 10knt SE picked up causing a short sharp chop of 1 to 2ft, obviously had to slow down driving into it to prevent too much banging but the boat handled it very well, nice dry ride too.
With a following sea no funny tendencies with broaching, tracks a nice straight clean line and hull is very stable at rest for the size boat it is. Overall very happy with it's performance.

Next time I go out I will try get some video footage of the launch and beaching process (forgot how tiring that part was).

A look back at the launch site just after launching
The seawall on the left is the northern breakwater for the Durban Harbour

Panned to the right showing the city of Durban.
In the water you can see some rocks breaking the surface, these are part of an old pier that forms the other partial breakwater for the launch site

Back on the beach after a good days boat test but an unsuccessful fishing day, biggest fish we caught was a Blue fish of about 12 inches :lol:

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

So how do you get it on the trailer?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good question Cape Man!!!! Jeff

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

He must have king kong as a pet to just pick the boat up and put it on the trailer :doh:
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Boats get beach loaded all the time around here. But none of them are as pretty as that boat is.

BassMunn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BassMunn »

Sorry for the delay in response guys, been so busy at work.

Craig the trailers we use are called break neck trailers, they have a pivot point on them that when unlocked lets part of the trailer swivel or tilt to allow the boat to be winched back up on to it. Once the boat is far enough up the trailer the weight balance takes over and the swivel part then pivots back into it's resting position.
You can also just take a standard trailer, unhitch it and winch the boat up it, once the balance is right the nose will drop back down and you can hitch it back on the car.

You need an oversized winch to handle the job, mine is a 4500lb hand winch, but an electric winch is the best option obviously. (Next project :D )

I'll try get some video the next time I launch to show how it all works

BassMunn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BassMunn »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:44 pm Boats get beach loaded all the time around here. But none of them are as pretty as that boat is.
Thanks Fuzz :D