Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by Coach »

You are right! It would be easier to build a 1/10th scale model and I considered that during my research as I saw others had done that beforehand but I know that I learn more by doing things hands on and I cannot build the boat completely in my basement. I can only take it so far and I have to wait until the Spring rains are almost over before I can bring everything outside. Love what you did! The boat looks great!

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Good morning...stitched her together this morning. Pretty excited about how she looks and it appears I am ready to go buy the Okoume next weekend and use these hardboard panels as templates. It looks like I will have to add some weight to flatten the bottom panels around frame C when I am ready to tape the seams. Other than that I think the lines look good. Open to opinions here ...she is a little wider from C to T but definitely shows its roots in the SC-16. Do you guys see any issues?

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

One thing I am noticing with my epoxy work is I need practice! Take a look at this taped joint. Am I using too much epoxy? You can see the boobs from the weights I used to hold the panels down over plastic. Maybe the epoxy is ok but I should use some plywood over the plastic before weights? Need some coaching here.....

Go Pats!

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Took advantage of the spring weather here in Boston and picked up the 7mm Okoume and the 3/4" panel for transom from local supplier Boulter Plywood in Medford, Ma. I am planning on buying the epoxy and glass sheets from the guys here at Bateau once I get to that point but it will be April before that happens. Will play around until then.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Glad you are started Coach!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Is all that plywood cut in half or do you have the widest pickup on the planet :doh:
Looking forward to watching your build.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

They build'em big up here in the Northeast! :lol:
Truthfully for $1.50 per cut I paid the man at Boulter Plywood.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Spent some time this weekend stitching together the plywood panels. I would like to say whoever thought of using those 1/2" tubes behind the stitches to space things out is a pretty smart cookie! Worked like a charm for stitches that needed them. The other thing I learned is the bow is VERY tight on this SC-16. I will be able to make it work with a bit of adjustment but it took more persuasion to get in place than other areas.

I am at a stopping point now. Curious what you guys think about flipping her BEFORE tacking and taping? I would like to measure and cut the stringers while I have another 6 weeks before I can bring her outside for epoxy work.

I realize it's not ideal but I can probably get the stringers and stations measured and cutout as long as I am careful the hull panels are lined up correctly. I am also thinking if the boat is resting on its hull bottom I can make sure that its flat while measuring for the stringers and eliminate any rocker issues. I have to cut the stitches anyway to get her out of my basement so moving her around isn't that big of a deal.

Your thoughts? Here are some pics from today.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

I also cut the transom to exactly 20" in the center with a rounded top edge. My template was at 19.5" but I felt it should be 20" minimum. I am not exactly sure what outboard I will purchase but I think I am safe at that measurement.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Until you have it all glued together and maybe taped I think there is a high chance of things going wrong trying to flip it. It is too soon to worry about fitting the stringers. After taping and glassing the inside your stringers will need to be trimmed a little properly so you are not gaining much to do it now. If you are worried about rocker you can screw some STRAIGHT 2x's to the back 8 foot.